AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, sorry Im asking such a dumb question, but Im turning one of the bedrooms in my new house into a dedicated home theater. Ive had the entire room wired for 7.1 sound.Ive prewired a place in the ceiling for all the video and audio wires to run from the projector to the equipment closet. Now for the dumb question in all of the home theater mags and on a few of the websites of other people's home theaters I never see an outlet for the power of the projector in the ceiling. Don't I need an outlet for the projector to get power?

·
Registered
68 Posts
And if you had a powerpoint in the ceiling to power the projector, how would you turn it off? Climb on a chair?

Use a broom? Powerpoints for most projectors are in the ceiling, not on the ceiling. Alot are wired in parallel with another switch in a more aesthetic position. As most have a standby switch (off on the remote), they rarely need to be turned off completely anyway.

------------------

Tertiary adjunct to Unimatrix Zero-One

·
Registered
30 Posts

I have my lt150 ceiling-mounted and simply use an extension cord running from my panamax surge protector and meeting half-way with the lt150's power plug, sharing the same path I use to run the component, s-video and video cables from the lt150 to my system's cabinet.

This way you protect your projector from power problems and, depending of the type of outlet (switched,un-switched or always-on) you use in your surge protector, you can make it "power-dependable" of your receiver (my case), so when you power your receiver on, the projector gets power and remains in stand-by until you decide to turn it on with your remote.

A different story is that one of cover and un-cover the lense.....I'm using a chair and I'm open for suggestions about the color of the chair, because I'm afraid it is about the only improvement I'm going to get.

Santiago

From Colombia, South America

Sorry for my english!!

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Lots of rooms have a light fixture or a ceiling fan in the center of the ceiling. If you're lucky it will be a switched outlet. I just cut a hole in my ceiling and tapped onto that source.

In my case, the ceiling fan was between the projector and the screen, so I took it down. So what do you do with that ugly hole? Quick Fix: Just cover it with a smoke detector!

------------------

Joe

"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly."

·
Registered
533 Posts
This question is not so dumb as you may think. I am in the process of wiring a room, just like you, and do have an outlet in the ceiling. However, I am providing CAT5 to the screen power input and CAT5 to the location of the receiver and other components. This should provide 12 volt triggering of the projector.

I am also assuming that the projector will have remote control abilities that will enable me to turn it on and off without having to physically go up and operate a switch on the unit.

Darn good question, if you ask me. (pardon the pun)

------------------

cai

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.