AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes the best 57-inch Flat Panel LCD: Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, or Sharp?

Are any of these companies coming out with significantly new models that should be checked out before the end of the year?

Will any of them ACCEPT 1080p/24 and display it as 1080p/120?

Will any that do also have 1.3 HDMI?

And last but not least--which 57-inch Flat Panel LCD has the greatest contrast ratio?

Some current Plasma owners that like to keep up with the state of the art when it comes to 57-inch and larger Flat Panel LCDs might want to know and who better to ask than the Flat Panel LCD lovers here!

· Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood /forum/post/0

Are questions like these hard to answer at the Flat Panel LCD forum?

Which is best is somewhat subjective, and 57" LCD's are pricey, so

likely the fewest # of folks have them, a likely low number are in the

market, and of those a smaller percentage that can asnwer off the

top of their head. I can't answer your questions,

but here are some links that may help you find answers. Perhaps you can

post your results for others that follow.

LCD advancements

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=681110

New Samsung 81 series

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=788306

Toshiba

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=785683

Sharp ?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=845752

· Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood /forum/post/0

Who makes the best 57-inch Flat Panel LCD: Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, or Sharp?

Are any of these companies coming out with significantly new models that should be checked out before the end of the year?

Will any of them ACCEPT 1080p/24 and display it as 1080p/120?

Will any that do also have 1.3 HDMI?

And last but not least--which 57-inch Flat Panel LCD has the greatest contrast ratio?

Some current Plasma owners that like to keep up with the state of the art when it comes to 57-inch and larger Flat Panel LCDs might want to know and who better to ask than the Flat Panel LCD lovers here!

57" is beyond my price range so I can't give u specifics.

Some ideas:

Asking which is the "best" is generally not a good idea.

No LCD on market in any size display 24fps properly (i.e each frame displayed 5 times). There are some 120Hz panels with 24fps input but they still do 3:2 pull down. I believe some pioneer elite plasma do 5:5 pulldown.

Asking about HDMI 1.3 is a foolish question as HDMI 1.3 by itself doesn't do anything. A better question would be does any TV support xyz feature (deep color, 120hz input, lip sync, CEC, etc). You can make a TV with HDMI 1.3 input that doesn't do anything that an HDMI 1.1 TV does. Because consumers buy #s many TV designers are doing just that. Slap an HDMI1.3 input on last years model and sell it for $200 more. All the features in HDMI 1.3 are OPTIONAL. Having an 1.3 inputs means nothing. A TV could support 1, 2, 5, all, or none of the new features. Don't buy versions buy features.

· Registered
268 Posts
Right now, I,m looking at the 57 inch Toshiba Regza LX177. Crutchfield has it on-line for pre-orders. If you go over there, you should be able to at least see what the specs are. As I recall, it has hdmi 1.3, 24 fps and 120 mHz. Apparently, the speakers are not removable.

I am seriously considering it as I haven't seen or heard of anything else that is close to my price range that has these features.

· Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the reasons I ask this question is I have a Panasonic 50-inch Plasma and the next set I will purchase I want to be bigger.

I know that Flat Panel LCD prices are high but they are getting lower all the time.

I could see maybe getting a Flat Panel LCD if it didn't have banding problems and if its contrast ratio was better--I didn't know whether Samsung had the best idea on backlighting or not.

1.3 HDMI is pie in the sky but being able to accept 1080p/24 from a Blue-Ray or Hd-DVD player and then being able to display it on a Flat Panel LCD as 1080p/120 would be nice.

How many years before that is a reality?

While I currently wouldn't purchase a Flat Panel LCD I'm not forever closed to the notion. If Flat Panel LCD improves I could see myelf buying one one day--just like I could see buying an Un-Wobulated LED one day if it wrere bright enough or a Sony SXRD if it didn't have green blob problems and had a longer lasting lamp.

True AVS videophiles are always open to new technology.

With the limited amount of knowledge I have right now If I were going to purchase a 57-inch Flat Panel LCD it would probably be between Samsung and Toshiba. Anyone here have any preference between these two?

· Banned
783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/0

Nah LCD lovers dont troll the PDP forums unlike you trolling around here.

Busted!

OT, but would you recommend your Olevia for a situation like this? A co-worker is looking for her first HDTV just for watching television on. I am assuming mostly SD viewing. No gaming, no sports, just network shows OTA. Her living room is very bright so I am not recommending a plasma to her.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
The new Mitsubishi Series have HDMI 1.3. If the new models are anything like the past ones they should be at the top of your list.

· Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvernon /forum/post/0

Busted!

OT, but would you recommend your Olevia for a situation like this? A co-worker is looking for her first HDTV just for watching television on. I am assuming mostly SD viewing. No gaming, no sports, just network shows OTA. Her living room is very bright so I am not recommending a plasma to her.

The reason I went with Olevia is because it was my first HDTV and I researched HDTV's for about 1 year and I felt Olevia gave me the best bang for the buck. I own the 537h and I still watch some SD and I can live with it. It has a QAM tuner so if she's picking up the networks OTA then she'll be able to watch prime time in HD. I just wish I went with the 42" instead. And most likely by this time next year it will be a bedroom tv once 1080p HDTV's come down in price. Alot of daytime light is another reason I went with LCD over PDP also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.