AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently moved and I was interested in some of E*'s new hardware which was getting pushed back further and further date wise so I figured that I'd put in cable temporarily until the E* hardware was out. Well much to my amazement, the PQ of the cable is SMOKING the old D* stuff. Admittedly, no HD but I didn't have that at my old place anyway except for OTA. I can actually watch sports on my ~110" screen without being angry at the artifacting (though the locals and ESPN are still analog) and the PQ on the digital movie channels are better then they ever were on D*. I do miss my UltimateTV but other than that, I see no reason at all to go back to satellite. I swear I NEVER EVER thought I'd say this. This is on Adelphia no less, who I dumped to go to D* explicitly because it was so bad years ago. I was paying $93 a month for 2 recievers, the everything package without the sports nets and the $10 Utv fee for D*. On top of that I was paying $75 to Echostar for Starband. Cable is running me $118 a month for 3 rooms with STBs that have SPDIF and Svideo, the cable modem subscription and the cable modem rental. I cringe to say this, but I'm not sure I'm going to bother going back to satellite.

-Trouble

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I went the same rout but they dont have boxes with s-video and spif out in may area :( I pay about the same for everything they have to offer except I have two boxes here :)

only problem I see with adelphis ia the guide in the STB Sucks. I use mediacenter edition though to make it PVR and use MCE Guide :)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It is funny that you have metioned this.........I have D* but I got a package deal with cable internet.

The regular analog channels on cable smoke D* on my 50H81 tosh. I have HD with D* and it looks great, but the SD looks awful.

The lack of HD, a few key stations (TechTV, MTV2, etc.) and no stereo sound.....that is what is keeping my with D*.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep the guide and the STB in general really is years behind even the worst of the satellite boxes. I'm still pretty happy with cable but once that PVR-921 comes out we'll have to see what happens ;) (I'll never go back to directv)

-Trouble

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.