AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might remember his screenwriting and directorial feature debut "Moon" that came out last year, starring Sam Rockwell. Check it out if you missed it. Anyway, his latest film remains grounded in science fiction as well.. check out the trailer:

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Not a huge Gyllenhaal fan, but loved Moon and the premise looks great. Love the music with the trailer - had you not told me this was by Jones, I would have had to look it up on IMDB to confirm. Definitely similarities to Moon, which was part of the reason why I loved the movie so much - music blended perfectly with the mood.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
I have high hopes for Source Code, primarily because of the respect I have for Duncan Jones' Moon. I think so highly of Moon, it is one of the few BDs I have bought for my own collection. The reviews I have read, most of which were positive, reflect that the critics found Source Code to be an intriguing and entertaining scifi action movie but that it was far less thoughtful than the quiet, introspective, Moon. That's all right with me, though. What's not to like about a well made action movie with an excellent cast, even if it is sort of a popcorn film? Chances are, I will see Source Code in the theater.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Planning on a theatrical viewing. From what I have read, critics seems to agree that it's easy to forgive the jumps in scientific logic...or holes in their science you could drive a truck thru...due to the fact that the film is fast paced, action-packed & just really well done across the board.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970
Planning on a theatrical viewing. From what I have read, critics seems to agree that it's easy to forgive the jumps in scientific logic...or holes in their science you could drive a truck thru...due to the fact that the film is fast paced, action-packed & just really well done across the board.
Internal inconsistencies in the science in scifi films have never bothered me much. As nerdy as I am in many ways, even I have my limits.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 /forum/post/20250839

From what I have read, critics seems to agree that it's easy to forgive the jumps in scientific logic...or holes in their science you could drive a truck thru...due to the fact that the film is fast paced, action-packed & just really well done across the board.

Trying to find scientific logic in a time travel story is kinda besides the point imo
I saw the film yesterday and it was indeed well done. Well acted too, Jake Gyllenhaal is quickly becoming one actor I like very much, and the always reliable Vera Farmiga... The film isn't very long (1h30 iirc) and never gets boring. Very nice little sci-fi action flick actually. I'll probably get it on Blu-ray as I love everything time-travel-related; it always raises more questions than answers, so I already know I will enjoy the movie more than once. I'm glad I saw it

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Nice to see the positive reviews on this one. Had no idea Jones directed it. Up to 89% on RT now.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Am I the only one who finds this movie intellectually offensive (I am judging from this trailer only)? Even the name - "Source Code". It turns out this is a name of a computer program. If this is not beyond ridiculous - I don't know what is. It's like a car called "Gas Tank". Plus the whole concept is beyond preposterous for anyone with even remote understanding of computers.

It's as if the quality of the script is nowadays is in reverse proportion to the budget or amount of special effects. Where are the movies like "12 Monkeys"?

All I can say - thanks for these trailers. I now go to movies only 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20254553

A science fiction film "unbelievable" and "unrealistic"? No way. :p

"Science" doesn't apply here even though this movie tries to bill itself as such. It's like "Sci-Fi" and "Fantasy" genre - no science in Fantasy.

Plus, I personally find "12 Monkeys" completely believable and realistic. Same for "Fifth Element"

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe007 /forum/post/20254441

I now go to movies only 3-4 times a year.

We figured that out for ourselves.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe007 /forum/post/20254441

Am I the only one who finds this movie intellectually offensive

Yes.

Now... seriously... It's funny you mention 12 Monkeys cause it's one of my favorite movies as well (I guess my smart half can finally co-exist with my other half, the dumb one)... See I enjoyed Source Code for what it is: an action movie with some sci-fi undertones. Even if you don't go see it in theaters, I'm sure you will at least rent it a few months from now and then you'll see for yourself. Besides I can safely pretend I have more than a remote knowledge of computers, and yes, believe it or not, I don't mind the title. Remember the small company that started using the "i" prefix some years ago, how lame is that!?

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
The relationship between what is real science and what is fantasy in science fiction movies is akin to the relationship of the actual facts of a "true story" upon which a fictional film is based to the fictional story. That relationship is often, if not usually, somewhere between slim and none. What difference does it make, though? None at all, it seems to me. A fictional film should be judged on its entertainment value and not on whether it has taken liberties with real science or real events. Source Code "intellectually offensive?" Come on, relax, smell the roses, it's a story, for heaven's sake!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.