AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that the Dunes cannot work with 3tb drives. I'm not sure if that is only when directly attached or if it is true when using a NAS system like the Synology 411J. The 411J allows up to 4 3TB drives. Would the Dune work with this or would I be limited to 4 2 TB drives?

Thanks..........

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sorry to piggyback off your question, but I'm wondering the same thing about the Boxee Box. I know it doesn't work with directly connected 3TB USB drives but would it work if I bought a 4 drive enclosure and connected it directly to my PC that the Boxee Box will then access via ethernet as a network share?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sweet, thanks. I hope this answers your question regarding the Dune as well pstrisik.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does. Thanks mbryanr. I started with two 2TB Seagate GoFlex Home network drives, but with some back up arrangement, the whole thing is cumbersome and getting pretty expensive anyway.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Just to confirm Peter, you are talking about accessing the NAS over your network (SMB or NFS), not directly attached to the Dune. As long as you are streaming from a networked location, the Dune shouldn't have a problem. It's only when you try to directly connect (USB/eSATA) drives (either individually or in an enclosure) to the Dune that you will likely run into issues with drives >2tb.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik /forum/post/20888869

I've heard that the Dunes cannot work with 3tb drives. I'm not sure if that is only when directly attached or if it is true when using a NAS system like the Synology 411J. The 411J allows up to 4 3TB drives. Would the Dune work with this or would I be limited to 4 2 TB drives?

Thanks..........

If the drive is in the NAS its size is not an issue. Its only when direct attached.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 /forum/post/20893086

Just to confirm Peter, you are talking about accessing the NAS over your network (SMB or NFS), not directly attached to the Dune. As long as you are streaming from a networked location, the Dune shouldn't have a problem. It's only when you try to directly connect (USB/eSATA) drives (either individually or in an enclosure) to the Dune that you will likely run into issues with drives >2tb.

Exactly what I am talking about. Sounds like I'll be shopping multidrive NAS boxes.

It seems synology is quite popular among AVSForum folks. Should I be looking at other lines like drobo, netgear, seagate, etc? I'm focused on 4 bay, raid capable. USB 3.0 for expansion drives would be nice.

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik /forum/post/20893165

Exactly what I am talking about. Sounds like I'll be shopping multidrive NAS boxes.

It seems synology is quite popular among AVSForum folks. Should I be looking at other lines like drobo, netgear, seagate, etc? I'm focused on 4 bay, raid capable. USB 3.0 for expansion drives would be nice.

Thanks...

I own 5 NAS's. never owned a synology but they didn't exist when I bought my last NAS. Netgear NAS's are excellent IMO. Their software actually worked unlike most of the other NAS's thecus, buffalo, intel/EMC that I owned.

if your more a DIY person and depending on your requirements you can build an unraid box like lots of us here have. Many of us including me used spare parts to build the first one and then have upgraded to something like the Norco 4220 20 Bay case.

check it out....

http://lime-technology.com/

there are also others like freeNas and of course good ole windows.

Sean

·
Registered
538 Posts
unRAID and (2) Synology boxes (DS-210j and DS-411j)...

unRAID just works well; and once you get used to it - a lot of fun with the various add-ons and scripts. I manage most of the unRAID files transfers through the Synology UI, and have the syslog sent to the Synology as well.

The Synology UI is great with lots of built-in functions....but can also be boot-strapped to modify further.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.