AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have had 2 x C-200, now down to 1, but have always had Popcorn Media Players.

But I have now discovered that many are happy with Dune players, so I'm really interested in people who has experience with both Popcorn and Dune and why they choose one instead of the other.

My main concerns with Popcorn Hour is:

1. It have problems with multiple shares and you have to add it to the start.sh to be able to use jukebox over multiple shares. And when I have mounted 6 shares it seem to suffer navigating speed and sometimes stutter in file playback over network.

2. The Blu-ray is not easily region free. I know Lundman has made a patch but you have to update after each firmware and sometimes it's difficult.

3. I have big problems with handshake on my Pioneer 508XD when using HDMI matrix switch. I hope the Dune doesn't suffer.

On the plus side the Popcorn you get more online services and more jukebox integration and also music playback is better because there is jukeboxes and cover etc.

I hope some can help me decide, because the Dune HD Max is not cheap and is on sale for 400 .

·
UHD Addict
38,970 Posts
I've had no issues with multiple shares and my C200. It works the same whether I have one share listed or eight.(although the scraping is slow with the Jukebox compared to the PopBox or Boxee Box)

I don't use region free BDs so I'm not familiar with that.

I've had no handshake issues going through any of my HDMi switches in the past. But that is very device dependent.

One of the things I really like about the C200 is the ability to switch between simple BD mode and full Bd menu navigation. So with full BD ISo rips you have the choice to have the disc experience or to just view the movie right away. This is one thing the Dunes seem to lack, But of course either a Dune or a C200 is a good player. it just depends on what features you want from it.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/19538621

I've had no issues with multiple shares and my C200. It works the same whether I have one share listed or eight.(although the scraping is slow with the Jukebox compared to the PopBox or Boxee Box)

I don't use region free BDs so I'm not familiar with that.

I've had no handshake issues going through any of my HDMi switches in the past. But that is very device dependent.

One of the things I really like about the C200 is the ability to switch between simple BD mode and full Bd menu navigation. So with full BD ISo rips you have the choice to have the disc experience or to just view the movie right away. This is one thing the Dunes seem to lack, But of course either a Dune or a C200 is a good player. it just depends on what features you want from it.

They have a fix for the slow scanning coming. The version of mediainfo that they used has a bug. They have instructions on how to disable it untill the fix comes out. It changes the time from hours to mins.

btw Dune can only mount one share at a time just like the popcorn hour.

·
UHD Addict
38,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbohlman /forum/post/19538756

They have a fix for the slow scanning coming. The version of mediainfo that they used has a bug. They have instructions on how to disable it untill the fix comes out. It changes the time from hours to mins.

btw Dune can only mount one share at a time just like the popcorn hour.

I must have misread about the shares. I'm looking at it as just telling it what shares to look at and it scrapes all of them properly, but it is not doing them concurrently, only consecutively.

Which I guess is fine except for the initial scraping which takes alot of time when compared to my PopBox or Boxee Box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts