AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 700 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice Dual HDMI output but not mentioned is that 1x USB2 and SD-CARD slot are gone compared with the old model.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #642
The HD Pro 4K Plus II is not available yet. Anybody going to open a new Topic for that one?
I expect the SACD MCH support to be a FW upgrade as the SOC is 100% identical?
Also the standard model should get it then.

I don't have the illusion that DSD via HDMI will ever come.
There is a thread already:

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Does anyone get Prime in 4K UHD HDR with Atmos on the Dune? I only get 1080p and I'd like to know if it's just me or everyone else.

Netflix is fine though, 4K HDR and Atmos.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Does anyone get Prime in 4K UHD HDR with Atmos on the Dune? I only get 1080p and I'd like to know if it's just me or everyone else.

Netflix is fine though, 4K HDR and Atmos.

Thanks!
Netflix is a Dune App and Prime is a Android TV app, right? Amazon and Google have been pretty weird about making Prime Video available on all devices. If I had to guess, I'd say a 4K update isn't available for Prime Video yet on the Dune.

On a vaguely related note - I've a question. I bought the Dune to stream my own videos and have avoided installing Prime, Netflix, Hulu, & others on it. I already have them on my shield and don't see the need. One of the things I worry about is entering my Amazon user name and password on yet another device. Am I being too paranoid, or do others think it could be a security risk?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently upgraded from popcornhour c300 to the Dune. I mainly use it to play iso files from HDD. It plays the BD-iso well, but i am unable to play DVD-iso files. Anything i need to change in the settings?
Also the AVR reads DTS for DTS MA tract on BD and Dolby Digital for True HD tract. The Audio output is set to Bitstream on the Dune. If i play the physical discs on the panasonic BD player, then the AVR reads DTS MA or TrueHD correctly. Anything i can do to get the Dune play the right tract?
Thanks! 😊

·
Registered
445 Posts
After last firmware update,anyone have problems with screen all of a sudden going completely green? It happens if i wake it after prolonged screensaver mode 15+ minutes,and only happens randomly..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also the AVR reads DTS for DTS MA tract on BD and Dolby Digital for True HD tract. The Audio output is set to Bitstream on the Dune. If i play the physical discs on the panasonic BD player, then the AVR reads DTS MA or TrueHD correctly. Anything i can do to get the Dune play the right tract?
Thanks! 😊
I have mine set to Bitstream and the AVR correctly reads DTS, DTA MA and True HD. When I first had the unit plugged into my AVR, I was having some interesting issues with audio. I was using the HDMI cable that came with my old Solo 4K. I switched the HDMI cable to the one that came with the Pro 4K II (which strangely is marked HDMI + Ethernet ) and my Audio issues have seemed to settled down. Now my AVR is too old to get Ethernet over HDMI, but maybe the fact that the cable that came with the Pro 4K II is newer may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have mine set to Bitstream and the AVR correctly reads DTS, DTA MA and True HD. When I first had the unit plugged into my AVR, I was having some interesting issues with audio. I was using the HDMI cable that came with my old Solo 4K. I switched the HDMI cable to the one that came with the Pro 4K II (which strangely is marked HDMI + Ethernet ) and my Audio issues have seemed to settled down. Now my AVR is too old to get Ethernet over HDMI, but maybe the fact that the cable that came with the Pro 4K II is newer may have something to do with it.
i am using the HDMI which came with the Dune. And yes, it is marked strangely. Is it possible that the AVR is still playing the DTS MA and TrueHD tracts, just not displaying correctly?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It can read some of them as a dvd-video discs but won't play the high rez tracks on them.
The answer is NO then. The DVD-Video format audio tracks are provided for backward compatibility and are not MLP. My Zidoo Z9X does not play DVD-Audio neither.:(
DVD-Audio images are often ripped partially only skipping some tracks too as people don't always understand the difference.;)

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I know this has been digested ad nauseam, but I hope to finally get an explanation and not just instruction I'm supposed to follow like gospel truth.

As the prevalent instructions on best video settings not only doesn't make sense to me, they also don't look best.
I'm talking about setup->video menu on the Dune Pro II 4k (but this applies also to the Dune Ultra 4K that had the same menu options):

1) Maximum video: imho it should be 4k 2160 23.976 - to minimize screen resolution switching, as most videos I watch are at this frame rate. Any different guidance?

2) Autoframe: All. I want dune to be as close to source direct as possible, and let an external video-processor handle different frame rates. If I understand correctly this setting means Dune will switch to the framerate of the played movie.

3) Auto resolution: enabled. Same as above. I rather each movie plays in it's native resolution (e.g. source direct) so an external video processor (or other device) could handle upscale. However strangely to me, I saw a lot of advice to turn this off. Why?

4)HDMI 3D- per user preference. I have it as 'no' as I never watch 3d movies.

** Additonal settings (here the confusion really exists) **:

5) Maximum HDMI color depth: the common wisdom in the forums is to have it at Maximum. Why not Auto (edid) to match my display device? What benefit do I get from manually forcing this to be 12bit vs. 10bit vs. 8bit? Even if I assume my video processor or projector can support 12bit. Why not keep it at auto(edid)?

6) Prefered HDMI color depth: same - people recommend setting it to maximum. Why shouldn't it be 'as in content'? I don't want dune to invent bit / color depth that does not exist in the content. This advice really confuses me. If I set it to maximum - it means it uses the color depth from item 5. Which may be above what the content in the file/disk actually is. What good can come of that?

7) SDR/HDR - as I don't want the Dune to convert either way (I want sdr to play as sdr and hdr to play as her) I keep this at Auto. Not the best terminology for what it's supposed to (not) do, but I understand this basically means 'do nothing'

Now comes the hard part!

8) Chroam for 4k50/60/8bit. The wisdom is to put it on 4:4:4. Why? The content is stored on the disk (or ripped image) as 4:2:0. Why make the Dune 'invent' color and convert chroma from non existent data? It makes more sense to me to put this on 4:2:0, and let a video processor or projector to the chroma manipulation. Surly they'll do a better job that Dune (even if it's a Dune Pro II 4K).

9) Crhoma subsampling for 4K50/60 12 bit: all advice I read is 4:2:2 (and not 4:2:0) - maybe this one is correct as I think the data at this color bit rate is stored at 4:2:2 so no need for the dune to downscle, but I doubt it. I read in many places that all source data is stored on disk (and ripped file) as 4:2:0 - so same as above, why let Dune manipulate chorma upscaling vs. being as close as possible to source-direct?

10) Chrona subsampling for 4K 24..30 12 bit): same as above, keep at 4:2:2 as the data is stored this way in the file, so no need for the dune to up/down convert chroma. If I'm right?

11) Chroma subsampling for non 4k-12 bit: Here I see a lot of people saying 4:4:4, I don't understand why. Isn't the data stored as 4:2:0?

I think the dune video setting is so powerful yet so confusing, as it comes with zero scientific explanation on why would one pick one approach vs. the other (e.g. based on video chain used or type of content).

Any explanation by someone who understands chroma subsampling, the format it's stored on the disk or ripped file (my understand it's always stored at 4:2:0) and assuming I want a video processor (such as Lumagen or Madvr) to get as close to 'source direct' as possible from the Dune - would be very much appreciated!!

I manually tried various settings and other than confirming Chroma banding in blue color on Spears & Munsil disk, it's hard to visually confirm what is marginally better.
Thanks!
3 days, 0 answers. Is it really possible people don't know the details behind this key part of the product? From comments on my post, it seems I'm not the only one who wishes to understand this. Zero data on Dune's site/manual, I emailed them and silence on their part as well. Weird! (or quoting Trump - Sad!).

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
For 4K23~30 use 444 since 420 is not a legal HDMI mode at 23~30Hz.

You could use 422 but then the only legal mode is 12-bit and these boxes handle chroma better at 10-bit 444 than 12-bit 422.

For 4K50~60 use 420 as that matches content and is a legal mode at 50~60Hz

Always match bit-depth for content - generally 8-bit for 2K and 10-bit for 4K.

There's no advantage to using 12-bit for 10-bit content and using 8-bit for 10-bit content is detrimental.

So to summarise:

For 2K23~30 use 8-bit 444
For 4K23~30 use 10-bit 444
For 4K50~60 use 10-bit 420

This cheat sheet shows what can and can't be output:

By the way, setting 4K23 discretely will, as you say, vastly reduce reysncs but it precludes the use of 4K60 at the correct framerate since Dune have this weird restriction of "Maximum" frame rate rather than gui frame rate.

I do exactly the same for the same reason but since I'm using Zidoo I don't have that restriction as they set a gui framerate rather than defining a maximum.

No idea why Dune do that - it's certainly not a Realtek SOC restriction and never has been.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
For 4K23~30 use 444 since 420 is not a legal HDMI mode at 23~30Hz.

You could use 422 but then the only legal mode is 12-bit and these boxes handle chroma better at 10-bit 444 than 12-bit 422.

For 4K50~60 use 420 as that matches content and is a legal mode at 50~60Hz

Always match bit-depth for content - generally 8-bit for 2K and 10-bit for 4K.

There's no advantage to using 12-bit for 10-bit content and using 8-bit for 10-bit content is detrimental.

So to summarise:

For 2K23~30 use 8-bit 444
For 4K23~30 use 10-bit 444
For 4K50~60 use 10-bit 420

This cheat sheet shows what can and can't be output:

View attachment 3039632

By the way, setting 4K23 discretely will, as you say, vastly reduce reysncs but it precludes the use of 4K60 at the correct framerate since Dune have this weird restriction of "Maximum" frame rate rather than gui frame rate.

I do exactly the same for the same reason but since I'm using Zidoo I don't have that restriction as they set a gui framerate rather than defining a maximum.

No idea why Dune do that - it's certainly not a Realtek SOC restriction and never has been.
Thanks much!! Too bad Dune are not including something like this online in their manual. As the defaults seem far off from what you suggest. If someone here knows anyone from Dune, please suggest to them that they do.

Reactions: markswift2003

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is it possible that the AVR is still playing the DTS MA and TrueHD tracts, just not displaying correctly?
I don't think so. Can you try a different HDMI input to your AVR? Maybe use the HDMI input that your disc player uses as I think you said that your AVR decodes and displays DTS MA and TrueHD correctly from your Disc. Maybe the input you are using for your dune is not set up for those audio types?
Anyone else have any ideas on what smnavare could try?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I don't think so. Can you try a different HDMI input to your AVR? Maybe use the HDMI input that your disc player uses as I think you said that your AVR decodes and displays DTS MA and TrueHD correctly from your Disc. Maybe the input you are using for your dune is not set up for those audio types?
Anyone else have any ideas on what smnavare could try?

That patch added proper hd audio bitstreaming for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I currently have a Dune HD Pro 4k Plus connected to a 5 series TCL tv. I have ton of problems with the HDMI handshaking between the two, causing the picture to lose HDR, among other things. Notably, this handshaking recurs when rewinding or fastforwarding a bluray, resulting in a conditioned fear of rewinding :)

Would upgrading to the 4k II Plus fix that issue?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hi all. I currently have a Dune HD Pro 4k Plus connected to a 5 series TCL tv. I have ton of problems with the HDMI handshaking between the two, causing the picture to lose HDR, among other things. Notably, this handshaking recurs when rewinding or fastforwarding a bluray, resulting in a conditioned fear of rewinding :)

Would upgrading to the 4k II Plus fix that issue?
Very doubtful - all the boxes have the same SOC and firmware - basically the same machine, it's just the bigger ones include extra dangly bits like disc bays, D to A's and a bigger case. The platform doesn't change at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Pro 4k Plus II has a different SOC (RTD 1619) than the Pro 4K Plus (RTD 1295), so it might fix the problem. But it is not yet on the market.
But have you tried a different HDMI cable or a different HDMI port on the TV?

641 - 660 of 700 Posts