AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 700 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts

That patch added proper hd audio bitstreaming for me.
What patch are u referring to? Can u provide a link? Thanks

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hi all. I currently have a Dune HD Pro 4k Plus connected to a 5 series TCL tv. I have ton of problems with the HDMI handshaking between the two, causing the picture to lose HDR, among other things. Notably, this handshaking recurs when rewinding or fastforwarding a bluray, resulting in a conditioned fear of rewinding :)

Would upgrading to the 4k II Plus fix that issue?
The Pro 4k Plus II has a different SOC (RTD 1619) than the Pro 4K Plus (RTD 1295), so it might fix the problem. But it is not yet on the market.
But have you tried a different HDMI cable or a different HDMI port on the TV?
Sorry - yes - I read that as having a Pro II and thinking of a Pro II Plus!!

So yes - completely different SOC and completely different SDK and things have moved a long way since the 1295 was released - even the 1296 and 1395 are great improvements and along with the 1619 they have much better HDR handling than the 1295.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Sorry - yes - I read that as having a Pro II and thinking of a Pro II Plus!!

So yes - completely different SOC and completely different SDK and things have moved a long way since the 1295 was released - even the 1296 and 1395 are great improvements and along with the 1619 they have much better HDR handling than the 1295.
However, rewinding and forwarding STILL causes a garbled picture with the Dune Pro II 4K when using BD Menu, so it's very possible that it could still cause HDMI handshakes in some situations.

It's not the case here (loss of HDMI sync) with my Denon X8500H and my JVC RS2000, but I really wish they improve this rewind/fast forward situation when using BD Menus.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
However, rewinding and forwarding STILL causes a garbled picture with the Dune Pro II 4K when using BD Menu, so it's very possible that it could still cause HDMI handshakes in some situations.

It's not the case here (loss of HDMI sync) with my Denon X8500H and my JVC RS2000, but I really wish they improve this rewind/fast forward situation when using BD Menus.
The vagaries of HDMI!! Thank goodness for HDFury eh?

Reactions: Manni01

·
Registered
445 Posts

At least they now mute the sound. Using ff/rw on last model blew out a tweeter in my system.
Ff/rw is usable, even on 4k hdr, although it takes 10 seconds to get an image while ff/rw.
It can only get better, and the device is very usable in present state.
I am thinking about buying another one as backup. I already sold my Smart D1, and have put my remaining 3 old devices up for sale too, as this model is as close to the perfect device for me as i believe we will ever get.

If only they would activate time search when playing full menu bluray i would be content.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
This is a patch from a Dune Enthusiast Club (I think in the Russian Federation). I've gotten patches and extensions from them before, but I cannot vouch for this particular patch.
I am an old guy and use that as an excuse for being suspicious (paranoid, even) of web sites from eastern Europe. is enough known about this site and its patches to consider them safe?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am an old guy and use that as an excuse for being suspicious (paranoid, even) of web sites from eastern Europe. is enough known about this site and its patches to consider them safe?
Perhaps shielding yourself is the best option,the above patch might contain one of seven binary chemical weapons developed by the Soviet Union.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Perhaps shielding yourself is the best option,the above patch might contain one of seven binary chemical weapons developed by the Soviet Union.
:) I'd have to step out of my Faraday cage to don the necessary protective clothing, and I couldn't do that!

So it would make my life easier to know if others have any idea how safe it is to install these 3rd party patches.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
What would be interesting would be to find out why some need this patch and some don’t.

I and others can get HD audio bitstream through HDMI without any problem.

my AVR is a Denon X8500H.

I set the dune to bitstream, with secondary audio disabled, as you should when you want to get HD Audio to bitstream with HDMI.

What are your settings and hardware config?

Do you get HD audio bitstream over HDMI with any other source?

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
I thought it was due to lossless on MKV's? That's why I ran the patch when I first got it, been fine since.

Reactions: Manni01

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Yep, mine would not play lossless out of the box from an MKV remux. I installed the patch and that fixed it, also made the audio selections look like the Dune Pro I menu. Very odd, but it works!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone and happy to read this passionate discussion thread, regarding the device do you find that it handles static and dynamic metadata regarding HDR and HDR10 well?

Better than the previous one?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The patch worked. Now my AVR correctly shows DTS MA and Dolby trueHD labels. If this a known issue, wonder why Dune wont incorporate it as a firmware upgrade.
Glad that worked. They probably will incorporate it into a future release. It had been a while since I interacted with some of the Dune "clubs", but back in the day, a lot of the folks in those clubs were some of the engineers who worked for DuneHD and many more were "official" beta testers
I didn't mean to suggest there was malware or spyware in this patch, I just have not applied that particular one to my system, so I could not say first-hand that it worked. My reason for pointing out the location of that club was just to say that their web site was using Cyrillic text, so for us who are not used to seeing it, or who expect all web sites to be in English, French or German, might be surprised. 😀 I should have been much more clear in my post.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
My reason for pointing out the location of that club was just to say that their web site was using Cyrillic text, so for us who are not used to seeing it, or who expect all web sites to be in English, French or German, might be surprised. 😀 I should have been much more clear in my post.
I assumed you were just gently poking fun at my question. I try to avoid downloading from sites that I know nothing about and wanted to tap into this forum's knowledge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A couple of months ago I asked a question about 'movie walls', and the relative merits of Dune and Zidoo. I explained that I currently use zappiti on my Dune HD Max, and because I also have lots of Home Movies, in addition to ripped DVDs and blu-rays, I need to create my own images for my home movies which obviously fail the regular scraping of 'known' commercial movies.

I now want to order either the Dune HD Pro 4k II or a Zidoo Z9x.

• Is there a way to load zappiti on either the Dune or the Zidoo?
  • failing that, are there better options (plex doesn't play my preferred media formats)
  • how easy is it to incorporate your own categories of movies, e.g. 'Holidays', 'Sports Events', 'Family', etc into the media jukebox?
Blenky kindly explained, and demonstrated, that you can create your own categories on the Zidoo Home Theatre 3 movie wall, but what I was really asking was 'can you use your own images to illustrate your own movies once you have created a category?'

On zappiti, when my home movies fail the movie scrape, I then individually personalise them with my own screenshots, descriptions and titles.

Sorry, the only movie wall I am familiar with is zappiti and I don't want to be restricted to rips of commercial movies.

Thanks

661 - 680 of 700 Posts