AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 889 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #861 ·
I can see the poor chroma upsampling easily in real word content as well. It’s visible with saturated primary colors, best seen in red (backlights of cars, exit signs, etc.). However, this doesn’t happen that often. But when it happens I’m the kind of person who focuses on that particular part of the image... I’m a pixel pooper :D

·
Registered
996 Posts
For 4K mkvs its an HTPC with madVR, there is nothing that can beat that. Just note that there is no DV support, but then again it already does great tonemapping.
For iso playback its a tough situation as there aren't many choices. Sadly Panasonic is out as they doen't support iso playback afaik, even with custom FW. So its basically Oppo and players based upon the same SoC (so same PQ shortcomings) with nearly perfect menu playback and media players auch as Zidoo and Dune with not perfect menu playback. The Realtek players are not reference when it comes to PQ, either.

At least the sub-optimal chroma upsampling of the Oppo can be solved (although at a rather high cost) with a madVR envy. They are able to perfectly undo the nearest neighbour upsampling and then apply their own. At least to their account, I didn't test it myself^^
There is some unrecoverable chroma blurring, which the are not able to fix, though.
Thanks for that concise objective assessment, worth adding that the Oppo supports BL+EL+RPU DV VS BL+RPU for all current media players.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Thanks for that concise objective assessment, worth adding that the Oppo supports BL+EL+RPU DV VS BL+RPU for all current media players.
Well worth saying yes, although there are currently a couple of media players that process the video essence in the enhancement layer using a second HEVC encoder - unfortunately they are completely unusable in the real world due to other constraints but it gives us a glance at a potential next step...

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well worth saying yes, although there are currently a couple of media players that process the video essence in the enhancement layer using a second HEVC encoder - unfortunately they are completely unusable in the real world due to other constraints but it gives us a glance at a potential next step...
Surely they will never be licensed ?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Surely they will never be licensed ?
Definitely not, but then these players processing the RPU in Profile 7 and particularly playing P7 MKVs is done outside the Dolby SDK - I just wonder what the Dolby guys make of everyone stomping around inside their walled garden in size 10s...

One player is the Ugoos AM6, a hateful little device with a horrific interface - I bought one out of curiosity and processed the return on Amazon the day it arrived! However, before doing that I confirmed it played FEL video essence.

The other is the latest Chromecast but again, since there is no official support, it's as flaky as hell.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Can someone help me? I'd like to use two dune players connected to the same TV. The Dune D1 is more consistant with some of my videos, and use the HD Pro 4K II for streaming and UHD videos. Unfortunately, the remotes control both boxes - I have to unplug the device I don't want to use.

Is there anyway to "pair" the remotes, or is there a more elegant solution that unplugging? I went through the settings and didn't see anything.

Thank you
Dune answered: "
Unfortunately, there is no possibility to configure one Dune remote to control only Solo Lite, and another Dune remote to control only Pro 4K Plus II.
Pro 4K Plus II will react to IR commands sent by IR remote of Solo Lite.
Solo Lite will react to POWER button presses on Bluetooth remote of Pro 4K Plus II (POWER button of this Bluetooth remote sends IR command, and this IR command will affect Solo Lite).

But you can use Dune Control mobile app to control Solo Lite and Pro 4K Plus II independently."

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Can someone help me? I'd like to use two dune players connected to the same TV. The Dune D1 is more consistant with some of my videos, and use the HD Pro 4K II for streaming and UHD videos. Unfortunately, the remotes control both boxes - I have to unplug the device I don't want to use.

Is there anyway to "pair" the remotes, or is there a more elegant solution that unplugging? I went through the settings and didn't see anything.

Thank you
Or, you can use an Alexa or Google powered smart plug or switch to turn the device off that you don't want to use at the time. That worked well for me when I had 2 dunes hooked up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
One player is the Ugoos AM6, a hateful little device with a horrific interface - I bought one out of curiosity and processed the return on Amazon the day it arrived! However, before doing that I confirmed it played FEL video essence.
It is possible to install the ATV interface with Magisk. Furthermore the Vimu Player is quite usable for DV contents: [link]

·
Registered
558 Posts

Thank you
Buy a cheap Bluetooth remote for the dune hd and blind its ir eye with tape..

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hello,
Why some movies, essentially new ones, are impossible to discover properly in My Collection? I tried everything. Alternate title, foreign title if exist, no date, the IMDB number (which exists!). Nothing helps.
Sometimes, they are partially correctly discovered, but always missing the cover and fanart.
How can I solve this problem?

P.S: Here are a few exemples:
  • tt8305852
  • tt10265034
  • tt9340860
  • tt12216986
  • tt10016180

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello,
Why some movies, essentially new ones, are impossible to discover properly in My Collection? I tried everything. Alternate title, foreign title if exist, no date, the IMDB number (which exists!). Nothing helps.
Sometimes, they are partially correctly discovered, but always missing the cover and fanart.
How can I solve this problem?

P.S: Here are a few exemples:
  • tt8305852
  • tt10265034
  • tt9340860
  • tt12216986
  • tt10016180
same here , not much of a solution in that regard just waiting for that large update my collection and hope that it is more up to date...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have had many flavors of Dunes over the years and have at least three of them concurrently in my system for the last five or six years. I recently bought three of the HD Pro 4k IIs and no matter what I do, I get no sound when the players ouput bitstream TrueHD, Amos or DD+ to my receiver. All the DTS and DTS HD bitstreamed sound formats work fine and normal Dolby DD works fine. The Dolby DD downmix of Atmos/TrueHD works fine also.

I have never had this problem on any of my 10+ previous Dunes and I have not changed any settings/setup at all.

Is there some sort of bug in the current Dune HD Pro 4k II firmware? - It's odd because it affects all three of the new players.

Any ideas? This is beyond frustrating.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Physician...Heal Thyself! Well, after spending some time reading through the 43 pages in this thread. I stumbled upon the "HD Audio patch" link in the thread: https://dune-club.info/upload/3party/tv175h.htm

Although people were using it for all HD audio problems (including DTS-HD, which was actually working for me), I decided to try it and it worked great. Not only does TrueHD and DD+ now work, the auto audio detector format works and now knows to send decoded audio (not bitstream) to my tvs that don't have receivers.

All around a brilliant fix - all three working fine now. Not sure why it is even needed over and above the firmware, but it works great.

Thank you to everyone who spends time contributing to the forum. It is a great resource.

·
Registered
558 Posts
nvm

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Guys, two quick ones:

(1) is there a way to disable the IMDB (it seems) movie/cast/etc screen that gets generated for a title when I click play in the file browser and just have the movie start playing without having to then hit play again in the movie/cast/etc, screen?

(2) Is there a "Dune HP Pro 4k ii for Dummies" shortcut to what video settings I should use to have the Dune output SDR (never HDR) to my old JVC projector when playing 4k files? My projector can downscale 4kUHD to 1080p but the HDR colorspace causes my screen to get very dark, I assume because the projector is being fed something it isn't set up to handle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just saw Dune has marked this discontinued which means there will probably never be another firmware update to fix the problems.. They have already launched new players.. Why the hell should people buy these boxes when they get abandoned as soon as they are released?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Just saw Dune has marked this discontinued which means there will probably never be another firmware update to fix the problems.. They have already launched new players.. Why the hell should people buy these boxes when they get abandoned as soon as they are released?
Exactly! I feel like I'm in a race to keep up with their new players....hoping it'll last longer than 6 months before it's abandoned. They seriously need a trade in program or something.....this is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
After 2 months they stopped selling, in May they discontinued...Don't know about the firmware though...

861 - 880 of 889 Posts