AVS Forum banner

881 - 889 of 889 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
After 2 months they stopped selling, in May they discontinued...Don't know about the firmware though...
After they released the poorly thought out Pro II they released the Realbox with a 1395 chipset - for a non Dolby Vision box this was a great proposition - the same performance and features as the Pro II at a fraction of the price - but that also got discontinued and the last firmware update was September last year.

I think the problem started when the jumped the gun on the Pro II and released it with the non Dolby Vision SOC and they've been acting a bit like a headless chicken with a pricing gun ever since.

Hopefully with the release of the Real Vision, with its more realistic price, things will calm down a bit.

Maybe...

·
Registered
558 Posts
After they released the poorly thought out Pro II they released the Realbox with a 1395 chipset - for a non Dolby Vision box this was a great proposition - the same performance and features as the Pro II at a fraction of the price - but that also got discontinued and the last firmware update was September last year.

I think the problem started when the jumped the gun on the Pro II and released it with the non Dolby Vision SOC and they've been acting a bit like a headless chicken with a pricing gun ever since.

Hopefully with the release of the Real Vision, with its more realistic price, things will calm down a bit.

Maybe...
I wrote Dune in April and asked if they had any intention of releasing new firmware for the HD Pro and Pro 2, and they said they would indeed for all models marked "supported models" on their firmware page, however looking at the list,it grows longer and longer,and they have yet to release a single one for the old ones since last year.. I call ********.. And i was hoping to buy a backup Pro II as i do like the model despite the few shortcomings i am experiencing.. The new replacement is either double the price (Pro Vision) or has half the memory and internal storage (Real Vision), and i am not buying another one of their models until i know the unit has been supported more than 6 months..

The Pro's havent had a firmware release since october 2020 while the new ones seem to have gotten one in april 2021, which shows they have abandoned all previous models..

I have the Smart D1, HD Pro and a HD Pro II,and i only bought the Pro II because realtek fixed the framerate issues..

What would half the memory and internal storage of the real vision compared to the Pro II mean in daily use? Will the Real Vision be slower than the Pro II?

Would be nice if Sledgehamma did a review of the Real Vision compared to the previous models.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I wrote Dune in April and asked if they had any intention of releasing new firmware for the HD Pro and Pro 2, and they said they would indeed for all models marked "supported models" on their firmware page, however looking at the list,it grows longer and longer,and they have yet to release a single one for the old ones since last year.. I call ****.. And i was hoping to buy a backup Pro II as i do like the model despite the few shortcomings i am experiencing.. The new replacement is either double the price (Pro Vision) or has half the memory and internal storage (Real Vision), and i am not buying another one of their models until i know the unit has been supported more than 6 months..

The Pro's havent had a firmware release since october 2020 while the new ones seem to have gotten one in april 2021, which shows they have abandoned all previous models..

I have the Smart D1, HD Pro and a HD Pro II,and i only bought the Pro II because realtek fixed the framerate issues..

What would half the memory and internal storage of the real vision compared to the Pro II mean in daily use? Will the Real Vision be slower than the Pro II?

Would be nice if Sledgehamma did a review of the Real Vision compared to the previous models.
I have a Pro Vision and a Real Vision and both perform exactly the same - the Real Vision is the one to get now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Reactions: hellhero

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a Pro Vision and a Real Vision and both perform exactly the same - the Real Vision is the one to get now.
With the real vision have you experienced the menu pop up during playback of full iso/bdmv blurays? Have you experienced random freezes needing to pull the plug? Is YADIS still supported?

I REALLY miss the physical on/off button on these devices,as my Pro II has a tendency to freeze on certain operations needing a hard reset.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
With the real vision have you experienced the menu pop up during playback of full iso/bdmv blurays? Have you experienced random freezes needing to pull the plug? Is YADIS still supported?

I REALLY miss the physical on/off button on these devices,as my Pro II has a tendency to freeze on certain operations needing a hard reset.
The Dune isn't my main box and I don't use ISO/BDMV other than for testing so have never seen a menu pop up inappropriately.

Never had random freezes during playback but I've crashed the box many times (it doesn't tolerate EDID changes as well as Zidoo), and yes, yaDis is still supported - I assume that won't change when the new front end comes along but I don't know that for sure.

Definitely miss that power button too!

·
Registered
558 Posts
The Dune isn't my main box and I don't use ISO/BDMV other than for testing so have never seen a menu pop up inappropriately.

Never had random freezes during playback but I've crashed the box many times (it doesn't tolerate EDID changes as well as Zidoo), and yes, yaDis is still supported - I assume that won't change when the new front end comes along but I don't know that for sure.

Definitely miss that power button too!
Pro 2 have menu pop up on full blurays on certain discs,i have reported it to dune,but seeing as i cant share the discs with them,i only sent a phone video where i recorded what happened.. But it is always happening on the X-Files boxset blurays and always on chapter changes,then the "timeline" or chapter menu pop up during playback for a few seconds.. I have noticed it on other discs too,but i cant find a similar thread between them,so i cant say it is strictly universal discs or fox or whatever,it seems random,which ofcourse will make it almost impossible to fix even if Dune had access to the discs where i experience the problem.. The previous model also does this though, the 4K HD Pro..

Is Dolby Vision the only difference between the Pro 2 and the Real Vision? Do you know anything about the firmwares mentioned above in post #883?

Thank you Mark

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Pro 2 have menu pop up on full blurays on certain discs,i have reported it to dune,but seeing as i cant share the discs with them,i only sent a phone video where i recorded what happened.. But it is always happening on the X-Files boxset blurays and always on chapter changes,then the "timeline" or chapter menu pop up during playback for a few seconds.. I have noticed it on other discs too,but i cant find a similar thread between them,so i cant say it is strictly universal discs or fox or whatever,it seems random,which ofcourse will make it almost impossible to fix even if Dune had access to the discs where i experience the problem.. The previous model also does this though, the 4K HD Pro..

Is Dolby Vision the only difference between the Pro 2 and the Real Vision? Do you know anything about the firmwares mentioned above in post #883?

Thank you Mark
Essentially, yes - both use versions of the Realtek 1619, but the Real Vision uses the later Dolby Vision enabled version. (I forget the suffixes)

Slightly smaller case too - same form factor as the Zappiti 4K Mini.

Sorry - don't know anything about those firmwares..

Reactions: Tsunamijhoe
881 - 889 of 889 Posts