AVS Forum banner

3261 - 3280 of 6720 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
You have to be more specific. What are your needs? As you want the Ultra I suspect you want some higher end analog audio capabilities?[/QUOTE]

I was mainly after the Ultra for the split audio / video input since I have a non 4k capable reciever.
I mainly need a player that can offer great image quality at 4k with HDR and allows neflix and youtube to stream in this format too.
The other main point with the Dune ultra was HDD expandibility allowing me to keep 4K movies on it, an option not available for Nvidia either.

Nvidia seems to be offering a lot of what Dune can in this regard (quality of 4K video on a high end TV screen anyway), as well as allow streaming games from a cutting edge computer. All at a fraction of the price. Does this not make it very attractive for everyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I was going to go for the Dune
But it seems Nvidia Shield does everything it does and at a better price. The only thing Id need on top of this would be a splitter usch as a HDFury as my reciever is quite old and does not support 4K.
Consider the following image for 4k capability:
Also, you can stream games from a capable PC
The Shield has had one image quality issues after another and still does not do Auto Color Space switching. It's capable, but it certainly does NOT do everything better.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The Shield has had one image quality issues after another and still does not do Auto Color Space switching. It's capable, but it certainly does NOT do everything better.
Correct, I have both and my Shield is collecting dust right now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
971 Posts
One of these movies had menus that worked with my Solo4K. I'd test it out, but it's disconnected and I don't really want to go through the effort to set it back up. The update sets the internal player as the default, I double checked this after the menus did not work.

What's the title of the Blu-ray with the menus issue ?

·
Registered
866 Posts
What's the title of the Blu-ray with the menus issue ?
For me the BDMV folder structure of LaLa Land wont work. Get a black screen and a request to change region then nothing. Haven't tried any others.

·
Registered
971 Posts
For me the BDMV folder structure of LaLa Land wont work. Get a black screen and a request to change region then nothing. Haven't tried any others.
Tried playing BDMV folder structure. Shows the region change request, plays the disc intro, then displays the menu.
Selecting ‘Play’ starts the movie. There is a brief delay after the region change request.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Tried playing BDMV folder structure. Shows the region change request, plays the disc intro, then displays the menu.
Selecting ‘Play’ starts the movie. There is a brief delay after the region change request.
Im going to guess this is going to be region specific on disc releases. Being he is in London I bet he has the EU release and I think you are from the US so you have the USA release. In the early days of Sigma menu support everyone had to start stating the region and what disc release so everyone could compare apples to apples as disc released in different regions were mastered differently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I lost netflix connection today..
I am getting error "Code: NW-6-404"
Any solution?
Same here, but mine stopped working last week already.
I contacted Netflix support who where useless and told me I should contact my ISP.
There is no workaround so far apart from using a different app

I hope Dune will fix this soon.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Another annoying feature is that when playing a Bluray the front always displays 00:00 and not the elapsed time of the movie.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Is this advertising?
Anyway seems it’s no longer available.
No not advertising... Just a member trying to share a very good deal I think. Perhaps a question of ethics maybe but none the less.

The Zidoo X9S is a hardware twin to the Dune HD Pro 4K coming from the same factory OEM with the possibility of a revision A vs. B difference of the Realtek RTD1295 which is unverified at the moment. See post number 25 by member kadqs at the beginning of this thread. Too bad they are all gone now but it was a start-up company gone bad selling off product. They could be had for under $50 each and very easily re-flashed to run Zidoo firmware being a white label product. The question remains as to the possibility of flashing to run Dune firmware.

It was the reason I posted earlier in this thread with regards to how the Pro 4K was handling BD menus as I experienced a similarity using the Zidoo firmware with their Home Theater 2 app which would be comparable to the Dune My Collection implementation with both I believe using the Realtek player.

Don't want to muddy up this thread but the Zidoo X9S has an approximate 2 year head start developing firmware on the same hardware. There are refinements on the Zidoo unit that Dune is missing at this point. Might be interesting to look to the Zidoo X9S to see the Δ and what maybe or maybe not possible with the Pro 4K.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Another annoying feature is that when playing a Bluray the front always displays 00:00 and not the elapsed time of the movie.
Confirmed, elapsed time is not displayed on the front display for blu-ray but, is correctly displayed on UHD playback.
Also the time search feature does not work for Blu-ray, but does work on UHD playback.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Confirmed, elapsed time is not displayed on the front display for blu-ray but, is correctly displayed on UHD playback.
Also the time search feature does not work for Blu-ray, but does work on UHD playback.
Yes seems to be issue with the BD engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Litlgi74 and @b curry

Thanks for the info. But it looks like the Zidoo suffers from some video frame stuttering and from banding/artifacts with 4k HDR (some people have solved the banding issue by setting hdmi range to limited, others are saying that they still see artifacts in some scenes such as where the sky is involved). The Dune doesn't seem to have such problems in PQ. Wouldn't the Dune be a better option for me in that case. How does the Dune compare in this regard anyway?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
@Litlgi74 and @b curry

Thanks for the info. But it looks like the Zidoo suffers from some video frame stuttering and from banding/artifacts with 4k HDR (some people have solved the banding issue by setting hdmi range to limited, others are saying that they still see artifacts in some scenes such as where the sky is involved). The Dune doesn't seem to have such problems in PQ. Wouldn't the Dune be a better option for me in that case. How does the Dune compare in this regard anyway?
I have a Z9S on the way and will be comparing them this weekend.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Any way/settings to mark files as watched?
Not that i know of... the way i do it is look at the last accessed date and time on the 4k solo and older dunes. Prob the same for the new dune interface...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrPurple, I asked the same question weeks ago and I believe it was Lithiumus that responded to my question as well. I do what Lithiumus suggests, but I have started renaming all my watched tv shows and movies by placing a "W" at the end of the file name. I became very accustomed to having my Mede8er mark my watched shows and even Kodi places a dot beside watched shows. I emailed Dune a couple weeks ago as well and they responded there is currently no way to mark them, and that I was not overlooking something in the settings.

Reactions: MrPurple

·
Registered
152 Posts
MrPurple, I asked the same question weeks ago and I believe it was Lithiumus that responded to my question as well. I do what Lithiumus suggests, but I have started renaming all my watched tv shows and movies by placing a "W" at the end of the file name. I became very accustomed to having my Mede8er mark my watched shows and even Kodi places a dot beside watched shows. I emailed Dune a couple weeks ago as well and they responded there is currently no way to mark them, and that I was not overlooking something in the settings.

Renaming is a good idea. I might do that with my files but ill leave all my BD rips with directories as is.

Thanks for confirming with Dune, I wasnt 100% sure it was not possible but no one responded to my questions so I figured it probably wasnt possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Would it be possible to:
Connect a Dune to a 4K Sony TV (for video) and a 1080p reciever (for audio)

However I would like:
On occassions, just to see the 4k video + 2.0 sound on my TV:- For when reciever is off. Works when you are watching TV just very quickly.
On occassions, have the stream pass from Dune so that the Video passes through to the TV but this time the Audio is routed through receiver to get 5.1 channel surround. Works when you have a sit down to watch a movie.

The other option would be to just see TV normally and connect the Dune with video passing through to TV and audio via reciever and only use it to get 5.1 surround sound.

Or would I need something like the Fury to do the above?
Thanks

3261 - 3280 of 6720 Posts