AVS Forum banner

821 - 840 of 6716 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The Mediaplayers review said _what_ the new Dune can do, but not (for picture quality) _how_well_.

The review includes, without comment, a picture of a Spears & Munsil test pattern. Irregularities in the published picture could be the fault of the Dune -- or of the photography and formatting for the review.

I'm sure someone will critically evaluate the Dune's picture quality.

Carl
Precisely. This player HAS to perform in every way better than the current competition if it is to thrive. Dune players have always been bought by more discerning users who expect the best. Just another Android box won't cut the mustard.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Precisely. This player HAS to perform in every way better than the current competition if it is to thrive. Dune players have always been bought by more discerning users who expect the best. Just another Android box won't cut the mustard.
The Zidoo X9S... the Dune Pro 4K's twin, has some serious playback issues as mentioned here by @jerimiah

The Zidoo x9s/x10 has major issues with outputting proper frame rates. One of the users confirmed this ion the Zidoo forums:

"The output refresh rate is different for 10-bit and 12-bit. It is 23.982 for 12-bit and 23.988 for 10-bit. These offsets will theoretically cause stutter every 166.67 and 83.33 seconds resp. This is probably the reason why it has gone unnoticed."

Personally, I notice the stutter on my Zidoo when playing UHD material. It'[s annoying enough that I currently don't use the Zidoo for 2160p playback. I tested the Zidoo extensively myself and recorded frame drops/stutters in various configurations, including 1080p and 2160p, both 10bit and 12bit, across all color spaces. Only 1080p 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 on the Zidoo outputs almost correct frame rate, though there are still some mild frame drops.

The Zidoo also has banding issues as I described earlier - 10bit content has banding issues in 10bit but not 12bit, which makes on sense, but I have tested repeatedly. I have even made charts of which color space settings and bit rate settings have banding issues and which don't.

So I think it's important to verify that this new dune outputs various frame rates (23.976,24.000, 25.000, 29.970, 50.000, 59,940, 60.000) properly without stutters or frame drops, in all available color space and bit rate settings. The fact that the Zidoo with the same chip has these issues worries me, but maybe the Dune software does it correctly.
as well as hundreds of other posts on the Zidoo forum.

So before everyone buys the new Dune, expecting it to solve all media player problems... please consider the return policy from duneplayer.com

Mike is a great guy and will go above and beyond to help you with what he can... but he is limited by what the Dune can and can not do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Everyone who ordered in Germany, will soon receive a player. My Dune Pro I will receive tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
The Zidoo X9S... the Dune Pro 4K's twin, has some serious playback issues as mentioned here by @jerimiah

as well as hundreds of other posts on the Zidoo forum.

So before everyone buys the new Dune, expecting it to solve all media player problems... please consider the return policy from duneplayer.com

Mike is a great guy and will go above and beyond to help you with what he can... but he is limited by what the Dune can and can not do.
I am eagerly waiting for a response to my wish list (new firmware).. I strongly recommend that if in doubt or if Menus and full forced sub support is important to you, Please DO NOT PRE-ORDER. I am and have always been a Dune fan and as I stated in previous posts; I can not recommend this player in its current state to anyone serious about movie playback. I am confident that the issues are going to be addressed but nothing is absolute. I am taking the "sit tight and wait" approach on this one as a consumer. As a tester I can report back and hope the developers are able to resolve the issues. If not, I will wait for the "next, next gen" players to arrive.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I here ya,, but keep saying this is not going to change anything.. Just speak loudly by not buying from him.. Money speaks louder than words.
Youre absolutely right. I was gonna purchase from UK, but wasn't frugal. Also, was hoping the new retailer would've been announced by now... Unfortunately Mike is the only game in the States. Sad though because he was easy for me to contact a couple years ago. Sucks it's changed.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Youre absolutely right. I was gonna purchase from UK, but wasn't frugal. Also, was hoping the new retailer would've been announced by now... Unfortunately Mike is the only game in the States. Sad though because he was easy for me to contact a couple years ago. Sucks it's changed.
I spoke to him several times about it and began to sound like the nagging wife. :) Speak with your dollars is all I can say at this point in time. Either way sit tight on any pre order until I get an updated firmware. I am not testing anything else until I get a Menu or at the very least forced sub support in MKVs. If either of those do not happen, my time will be spent enjoying my semi retirement not wasting time on a dud player.:D. The open road awaits in my RV!

·
Registered
649 Posts
You sure I thought zdmc using zidoo external player had working forced subtitles.
ZDMC doesn't count in my book. The Zidoo native built-in player doesn't handle forced subtitles (you have to select them manually), and that's the only player I use in the Zidoo. ZDMC has too many restrictions and doesn't work well with 3D for me. The Dune should handle proper playback natively, not rely on us to use 3rd party apps and media players like Kodi.

Review: [link]

It seems the player clippings the chroma and the luma channel too, like Zidoo.
That's too bad. The Zidoo definitely clips because I notice it when I play my calibration video files on the Zidoo. My old Mede8er shows the full range of bars in the white and black clipping patterns, but the Zidoo clips them. From what I understand, some say that's okay, as long as it shows all the critical bars. The Zidoo clips anything whiter than white and blacker than black. All bars outside that range are just clipped to invisible. They are all visible in my Mede8er.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I apologize for changing the subject a bit, but I'd like to ask what people think about the Dune HD Pro 4K Ultra as an audio player... In scanning this thread, pretty much all I see are discussions regarding the video performance of this device... however, I came across this device in my search for a high-end'ish audio component that could store & play my audio library.

I'd rather not use a computer as part of my audio solution. I have a total of 4 audio-video systems in my house (main home theater where this device would reside... a 2.1 system in my front room where we watch tv, but also listen to a lot of music... a second home theater for the kids gaming room, plus a system in my office (2.1 audio only) so the ability to stream from this device to those other systems would be a huge plus, but not necessarily a requirement... I'd be willing to buy additional Dune devices for each system if they are able to stream between the devices... or, maybe there a different approach I should take entirely....

Most of my music is ripped to FLAC, but I also have some SACD's, DVD-A & Blu-ray Audio's that I could rip as well, if I find a media streamer that will handle them well.

Thoughts about using the Dune HD Pro 4K Ultra as an audio player?

Thanks in advance!
I also asked a while back about how this will perform as an audio player (gapless playback, ape, .cue file support as a playlist file, etc.). Also the image viewer abilities.

The Zidoo performs very poorly as an audio player. I can't use it. You can't even scan across the track you're listening to without a hassle. It's awful. I hope the Dune is much better. My Mede8er doesn't handle gapless audio, and many albums I own do flow from one track to another. Without gapless audio, it ruins the flow of the album as it inserts a gap between each track. It's very annoying.

The Zidoo is a poor image viewer also. Doesn't even have zoom support for zooming and scanning across the image, nor does it allow you to view the image in native resolution for larger files, to see the details - it always fits it to screen). My Mede8er is a far better image viewer than the Zidoo.

·
Registered
649 Posts
MKV 3D no. HDI never supported in the Solo and I would not expect it here. ISO 3D works as expected with the Lite Engine but no forced sub support. Auto Frame Rate seems to be working as does Auto Resolution.
Somebody needs to let Dune know that this is almost a deal-breaker for me and I'm betting I'm not the only one. I use makemkv all the time to make mkv 3D remuxes. Even the Zidoo supports 3D MVC mkv, so I know the chip can. Dune needs to make this happen.

·
Registered
796 Posts
MKV 3D no. HDI never supported in the Solo and I would not expect it here. ISO 3D works as expected with the Lite Engine but no forced sub support. Auto Frame Rate seems to be working as does Auto Resolution.
Somebody needs to let Dune know that this is almost a deal-breaker for me and I'm betting I'm not the only one. I use makemkv all the time to make mkv 3D remuxes. Even the Zidoo supports 3D MVC mkv, so I know the chip can. Dune needs to make this happen.
@blackssr hasn't tested, and doesn't plan on testing 3D MKVs... There are lots of things this player does and does not do compared to previous Dune models. So maybe 3D mkvs do work. Time will tell.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I tried for over a year to get this done on the Solo 4k and was ignored for whatever reason. It took over 8 months to 3D subs working. May I suggest just ripping as ISO with just main movie, HD audio and subs. If you are not willing to use that method of preparation, I would speak loudly by not buying the new model and look elsewhere. I am a fan of 3D and have over 70 movies on my server. However, it is a dying niche product and if not working now, I can tell you it is not a priority for HDI when they have bigger more important issues to resolve before US launch. Try this program it works really well. I worked very closely with the author to get it perfected for the Dunes.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/25w69pxf0upmmur/AAAISyvF4vqRSQDe4l27pcrka?dl=0

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2733865-blu-ray-ripper-subtitle-handling-backup-discussion-thread-dunes.html

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The Chipset does. But Remember realtek broke MVC inside MKV with the latest SDK they put out. Zidoo is on the older SDK still. My guess is DUNE compiled with the newest SDK. So most likely waiting on the fix from realtek

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Mediaplayers review said _what_ the new Dune can do, but not (for picture quality) _how_well_.

The review includes, without comment, a picture of a Spears & Munsil test pattern. Irregularities in the published picture could be the fault of the Dune -- or of the photography and formatting for the review.

I'm sure someone will critically evaluate the Dune's picture quality.

Carl
Same clipping from another user: http://forum.hdtv.ru/index.php?showtopic=19003&page=15#entry414936

·
Registered
910 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's not the 'same' clipping, it's from the Zidoo player, not from the Dune... we haven't got enough detailed 'proof' at the moment on how the Dune is doing. But it doesn't look good...
No, it's from Dune. I linked the avsforum to Mr. Vlad for test files.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well maybe my Russian is a bit rusty, all i can make of it is a link to a Zidoo topic here on AVS.

821 - 840 of 6716 Posts