AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 6726 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I don't think so. I have the Zappiti 4K Hdr based on the same chipset, and it played 3D MVC in Mkv files, but after the latest firmware update this ability was removed by Realtek in their new SDK
This is not good news..Really annoying they just cant seem to get it right,the white whale of media players.. One should think they would know from previous models what the customers were asking for..
Doesn?t really matter if the SoC supports MVC in mkv. The SoC inside the Dune Solo series is perfectly able to support this feature. Yet, Dune didn?t implement it. This fact and the fact that they didn?t list it under supported formats for the new series indicates that we won?t see it.
Of course I hope this changes, but I wouldn?t count on it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Thanks for the link! Ordered, and very quick answer with an invoice. As somebody else mentioned here, the web pages says delivery in mid january 2018 so I just wait and see. I guess they'll try to get the new units as soon as possible, so if I have to wait I'm Ok with that.

I currently have a Dune HD Solo 4K that is working great, but I like some of the new features of the HD Pro 4K.
Took a look and currently the Dune HD Pro 4K is listed at 189.90 euro (on offer from 199.90) which is about £170 plus shipping to UK of 14 euros (£12.50). Be interested in price offered by UK re sellers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have never ripped 3D movies to MKV, I have allways ripped 3D movies with tsmuxer to ISO's and they are played without any problems on the Zappiti 4K Hdr and also on my Dune Solo 4K
So because you never do it,i am not allowed to want the feature? It is a feature on my mede8er,so why not dune?
I dont want 2 full blurays of the same movie taking up space on my server.. And i dont like iso as mediainfo cant read metadata inside,so my jukebox will be missing information,that enough reason for ya?

·
Registered
157 Posts
So because you never do it,i am not allowed to want the feature? It is a feature on my mede8er,so why not dune?
I dont want 2 full blurays of the same movie taking up space on my server.. And i dont like iso as mediainfo cant read metadata inside,so my jukebox will be missing information,that enough reason for ya?
No need to be rude, where have I said that you are not allowed to want that feature.

·
Registered
389 Posts
No need to be rude, where have I said that you are not allowed to want that feature.
What else could i infer from such a useless comment about you never using mkv?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
The music abilities has improves over the last few firmware on the dune solo4k.

Has album support and sacd, flac, dts and high Def support and has built in radio feature I find it good for party music from music folders or streaming from radio services.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk
Dune has not supported bitperfect playback. The DSD is converted to PCM prior to playback as well. On their new "audiophile" version they only support 2 channel playback via the Sabre DAC. Gapless is not implemented. I could go on and on. Essentially, they have always concentrated on video playback while giving lip service to the audio side of the house.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/57 Look at the bluray menu support and the * next to it,now scroll down to notes

"Some of the listed features may not be available in the factory firmware and may require to install a firmware update. The features marked with (*) are in development and are expected to become available in future firmware updates (expected in Q1/2018)"
There is no guarentee they will do this. If initial sales prove so low there is no profit,there will be no reason to develop or release this feature.

I am not ordering one until this feature at least is proved released and working,as it is the only feature i really want
There is no guarantee, but... they've been here a long time, they have a reputation to hold up and they know this is one of the features that makes their mediaplayers stand out from the rest. I'm sure this is one of the first things they will add, if it is not added from the start. If not... i keep my Dune HD Solo 4K anyway. And i have a Dune Prime 3.0 stored in a closet somewhere ;)
I have just had too many experiences with promises on features that never gets realized,so i am cautious.. I also have an older dune Smart D1, in storage in case my old popcorn hour goes belly up,so i am set.. However,i am hoping with this new Dune i can retire both my pch and mede8er and only have 1 box for everything..

Hoping it will do 3D MVC in mkv also
Which feature(s) did Dune promise in the past but were never realized?
Support for Android OS on the Solo 4K/Solo Lite. Both iOS and Android apps were to be supported as well.
Never understood why they wanted to run android on the Dune... if i wanted some andriod box... i would have bought an android box and not a Dune.
And an app... what would an app add to the Dune? Phones are crappy remotes because they lack real keys and they light up the room like a chrismass tree if you use them. Spoils the movie. I also don't want gadgets and widgets and other crap on a mediaplayer...
So you are bashing Dune for not giving you some features they promised, even calling it vaporware, but you do like the Dunes because they met all your needs? Right... no further comments.
No, not bashing at all. I simply responded to your questioning @Tsunamijhoe's comment/observation that Dune does not always deliver features that are specified and or promised in the future; "Which feature(s) did Dune promise in the past but were never realized?" You asked for examples and I gave you some with the most recent products.

I own 2 Dune players and they have met my needs. That however does not negate the fact that Dune has promised features that have not been delivered. There are people that bought Solo 4K's with an expectation of duel booting OS's, specifically Android as promised and that was a disappointment for some.

You then seem to want to argue the fact that features Dune has promised and not delivered are without merit as they are features that you personally "Never understood..." or are features that you don't want and carry on with some superfluous blather regarding apps, gadgets, phones and crap. You seem to be creating an argument with yourself.

I understand @Tsunamijhoe's apprehension in buying hardware until firmware/software features he is interested in are realized.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've not known any media player to be perfect. The best I've used is my Dune Smart B1. At $199.00 I'm buying the pro.

I'm having problems with my Egreat A10 now and I need a player to do 4k and hdr. Beyond that, I'm not that fussy.
Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
... i can retire ... my ... mede8er and only have 1 box for everything..
What do you still use your mede8er box for?

I've also found it difficult to give up my vintage realtek-based mede8er player.

What is great about the legacy 1073/1185/1186 realtek-based players is the dedicated remote buttons for video playback manipulation.

It is great to have individual remote buttons for -10 sec reverse, +30 sec forward, frame advance, +1.5 speed plackback (w/sound), variable slow-mo, goto time, a-b loop, etc, etc. All of these buttons have instantaneous effect without any intermediate OS overlay over the video.

I don't think that there is any prayer of any android player having this sort of functionality (without having to mouse-around inside on-screen menus). So, if I'm watching anything in low resolution (1080p or less), I still use my mede8er player.

But maybe there is some hope that Dune's implementation of the realtek video player will have some of these old time functions, with corresponding individual remote buttons? Please, Dune, don't make video playback work via air mouse.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've not known any media player to be perfect. The best I've used is my Dune Smart B1. At $199.00 I'm buying the pro.

I'm having problems with my Egreat A10 now and I need a player to do 4k and hdr. Beyond that, I'm not that fussy.
Dave
what are the problems you have with your A10?

·
Registered
293 Posts
When my computer updated windows 10 with the fall update it turned off Samba v1 I turned it back on but I stuill can't get my shares to play. I got my Dune B1 working again, but the egreat is still not working. I'm gong to see if I can figure out NFS - figure that will probably work. But this is a good excuse to buy the new Dune :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
What do you still use your mede8er box for?

I've also found it difficult to give up my vintage realtek-based mede8er player.

What is great about the legacy 1073/1185/1186 realtek-based players is the dedicated remote buttons for video playback manipulation.

It is great to have individual remote buttons for -10 sec reverse, +30 sec forward, frame advance, +1.5 speed plackback (w/sound), variable slow-mo, goto time, a-b loop, etc, etc. All of these buttons have instantaneous effect without any intermediate OS overlay over the video.

I don't think that there is any prayer of any android player having this sort of functionality (without having to mouse-around inside on-screen menus). So, if I'm watching anything in low resolution (1080p or less), I still use my mede8er player.

But maybe there is some hope that Dune's implementation of the realtek video player will have some of these old time functions, with corresponding individual remote buttons? Please, Dune, don't make video playback work via air mouse.
3D MVC in MKV.. My old PCH A-210 dont play 3D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the link! Ordered, and very quick answer with an invoice. As somebody else mentioned here, the web pages says delivery in mid january 2018 so I just wait and see. I guess they'll try to get the new units as soon as possible, so if I have to wait I'm Ok with that.

I currently have a Dune HD Solo 4K that is working great, but I like some of the new features of the HD Pro 4K.

Well. I suggest you all to be careful. The will not follow the dates for sure. So if they charge money now and place such promises, they can have angry customers soon. EU deliveries are expected rather at March, entry models first. We have to be patient. Dune released information about new models too early. For EU, the main source of information about dates and schedules shall be IBDL, who is exclusive distributor.

Just got word from the dutch importer.
They estimate a release around end of march/ beginning of april...
Yes, I have similar information.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Dune has not supported bitperfect playback. The DSD is converted to PCM prior to playback as well. On their new "audiophile" version they only support 2 channel playback via the Sabre DAC. Gapless is not implemented. I could go on and on. Essentially, they have always concentrated on video playback while giving lip service to the audio side of the house.
Dune added Gapless to Sigma 4K series after one of past FW updates (170504_1319_r11):

- New feature: Added support for gapless audio playback: when playing a
sequence of audio files, the audio files are played in a gapless/seamless
mode (without pauses between files). Supported for the following audio
file formats: FLAC, ALAC, SACD, OGG, APE, WAV; partially supported for
MPEG audio (such as MP3).

Just FYI

Reactions: a5ian300zx

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well. I suggest you all to be careful. The will not follow the dates for sure. So if they charge money now and place such promises, they can have angry customers soon. EU deliveries are expected rather at March, entry models first. We have to be patient. Dune released information about new models too early. For EU, the main source of information about dates and schedules shall be IBDL, who is exclusive distributor.
Thanks, i cancelled the order, i think you are right, no way they can deliver in 2 weeks.
btw, IBDL is a 15 minutes drive away from where i live, and it's where i bought my Dune Prime 6 years ago :)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Dune added Gapless to Sigma 4K series after one of past FW updates (170504_1319_r11):

- New feature: Added support for gapless audio playback: when playing a
sequence of audio files, the audio files are played in a gapless/seamless
mode (without pauses between files). Supported for the following audio
file formats: FLAC, ALAC, SACD, OGG, APE, WAV; partially supported for
MPEG audio (such as MP3).

Just FYI
It only took them 10 years.

·
Registered
81 Posts
From the very beginning it was known that "Dune HD Pro 4K Ultra" will go on sale late, but did not know when exactly. Maybe it's about this model information, I do not know. But now I got an answer from a German seller:
"The output of Ultra was postponed, but it was clear there, if not in January, then we can wait a long time. Therefore, I do not have it in pre-orders, it's the flagship model, the most expensive." For the rest of the models, the information has not changed yet. it will change, it depends on Dune.As the terms change, all the information will be laid out in the Shop.
For money, do not worry if Dune says, sorry, there will not be any new models at all, or six months from now, I'll return everything to everyone back) "
Let's wait a little longer. :smile:

·
Registered
484 Posts

Yes, I have similar information.
March? Is this also for hd pro 4k? (I am not asking ultra)

Thank you and best regards

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I have just given up on these so called "Media" players which have absolutely no, or poor support for music...really frustrating. Anyway, have just ordered the bits to put together a dedicated Roon Rock player so will be have one for that and a separate system for videos. We just can't seem to get an all in one player that does everything really well.

IMHO

:)

141 - 160 of 6726 Posts