AVS Forum banner

Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo

638K views 4K replies 269 participants last post by  nemesi54 
#1 ·
Looks like Dune is finally coming up with a Dolby Vision capable Media Player

"Dolby Vision direct, Dolby Vision LLDV and Dolby Vision VS10. Dolby's VS10 HDR processing engine improves dynamic range for all HDR material. "

Sounds promising

#8 ·
Dunes current BD menu implementation is far from flawless. It turns on subtitles by default for many discs and not on all discs you are able to disable them. Not to mention that forced subs on those discs cant always be selected.
The only device that does BD menu flawless is either the Oppo with a cfw or an Oppo clone.

Also there won't be DV support on 4K UHD BDs.

#9 ·
The only device that does BD menu flawless is either the Oppo with a cfw or an Oppo clone.
Not forgetting the sister player Cambridge Audio CXUHD, my go to device. That is genuinely flawless with menu playback.

Yes menu support is only fair on the Dune but better than Zidoo or Zappiti. The specs are saying ”DV Direct” as well LLDV and VS10 whatever that means.

#13 ·
Ok, you're right. It's should be similar to the 4K Pro 4K II. But the Solo will also have the 2nd HDMI Out and a Power off switch on the backside. So it should be identical in the video performance. and The RTD1619DR adds the Dolby Vision functionality. In the Pro 4K II and Plus the RTD1619 is working.

I bought the Plus in December and preordered now the Solo. Also bought the Pro 4K II last year so maybe there is a chance to get an award for one of the best customers ever from Dune. :D

#46 · (Edited)
I've asked Dune via the contact form of the homepage if the player will support DV as 4K UHD ISO. They told me yes.
Hopefully my question was answered by a skilled person. But I think we have to wait before someone received the player and tested it on an ISO :unsure:
Just tested an ISO file with Dolby Vision. Works on my Panasonic OLED. :D
ISO's trigger DV for me too, but not MKVs. I tried playing 2 MKVs with DV, and neither would play at all, just black screen :-(
ISO of tremors plays in DV full menu, lite is HDR10. Lip sync is bad on both. Didn't see lip-sync issues with MKV tests.

Dune is set to tv led DV, and player is outputting RGB 8 bit DV, which is correct for tv led.
Before this gets out of hand I think it only fair to say that the Realtek RTD1619DR does not support the playback of Profile 7 Dolby Vision from ISO, either MEL or FEL.

Native support is for Profile 4 (MEL only), Profile 5 and Profile 8.

Profile 7 (MEL only) is serendipitously supported in an MKV wrapper because of the way Matroska supports DV in the wrapper. It cannot process Profile 7 FEL- primarily (but not only) because it doesn't have a second HEVC decoder required to do so.

The only way the RTD1619DR can playback an ISO containing dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU in DV is if it uses the VS10 engine to simply convert the HDR10(+) base layer into Dolby Vision in the same way it does with any other SDR/HLG/HDR10/HDR10+ stream.

So the only way you'll see a true untouched Dolby Vision stream using the RTD1619DR from a UHD BluRay rip is if the rip is from dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU MEL and wrapped in a DV compliant MKV.

There is of course the possibility of producing a Profile 8 stream using dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU FEL which gives dvhe.08.06 BL+RPU but that kind of misses the point of the FEL which is simply there as the residual between the 12-bit Dolby Mezzanine and the 10-bit HDR10(+) graded base layer to allow reconstruction of the 12-bit signal - and Profile 8 is of course a 10-bit signal. That process is a bit of a halfway house since the RPU is still intact and the 1619 will process that in Profile 8.

#19 ·
Players look great - see they are now showing the Dune HD Max Vision 4K - the Dune HD Pro 4K has ben perfect for me for yrs - my brother in market for player - so might give him mine and pick up one of these new ones - multi channel SACD playback on both players is incentive for me - will wait on some reviews

#20 ·
Recevied from Futeko:

Your order has been despatched.

1 - MP112 - Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo - USA+CANADA DELIVERY. EXPRESS

Delivery to United States is by 'FedEx International Priority' and and will take 1-2 working days. An accurate delivery estimate will be available on tracking this evening.

#28 ·
I had to enable the beta firmware option, which installed firmware 210202_1854_r17. Following the firmware update I had to do a full reboot as when playing any file the device was locking on the little timer clock in the top left hand corner.

This enabled the 'LG Amaze' demo to display in Dobly Vision, however I've only found one other file that plays in Dolby Vision in my collection (mixture of .mp4 & .ts single layer, .mkv dual layer).

And some of the files that play in HDR are very stuttery.

Early days
:(

#36 ·
So far for me:

MKV HDR10 and 1080p work perfectly, and I get Atmos/MasterHD without any tricks, unlike the HD Pro 4K II when it arrived. Going to test an ISO with DV shortly. I enabled beta updates, but only thing available was a normal release "17".

#37 ·
ISO of tremors plays in DV full menu, lite is HDR10. Lip sync is bad on both. Didn't see lip-sync issues with MKV tests.

Dune is set to tv led DV, and player is outputting RGB 8 bit DV, which is correct for tv led.

#55 ·
'test DT DL FEL.iso' plays fine if you use the 'Play (Lite)' option. If you use 'Play (Menu)', as in full menu options, the image is very jittery and pixelated!

'test DT DL FEL.mp4' plays, however just looks like white noise on screen.

The other two play fine.

However all four play in DV as 'Dolby Vision LLDV 12bit VS10' if it makes any difference to you?

My DV settings: