AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 798 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wishes?
Please do not incorporate the "Press again" button to do this or that like requested earlier on this thread, like the Zidoo. Or make this function something that can be turned OFF like in Windows 10 should people want this function.(I actually hate it ...Do you really want to stop...yeah yeah yeah...)
Automatically play next episode?...Let people choose if they want that...

·
Registered
711 Posts
I need some advice about what to do with my power adapter situation. For those that don't remember, Dune sent me a Dune HD Real Vision 4k with the wrong power plug. Mine came with a European plug but I needed a US plug, and when I emailed them asking about what type of power cord it ships with, they told me all Dune units ship with US power plugs now. Mine did not.

I contacted them last week and explained the situation to them, and they told me they would think about what they would decide to do. After 5 days and no follow-up, I emailed them again yesterday, and they finally send me an email today with their solution. They want me to order a cheap, generic plug adapter off Amazon and they will refund the amount I paid for it. here's the link to the adapter they lined to in their email:

What would you suggest I do? I don't love the idea of getting a random cheapo no-name power adapter off Amazon and introducing a fire hazard to my apartment, and the power plug is already tall, so plugging that into this adapter is going to look ridiculous and be very awkward. What does Dune normally ship for a power plug? Can anybody post a picture of the plug they ship with? If everyone else gets a normal US power cord with a more reasonable standard US plug, I don't like having to settle for this solution. I think for the money I should get the same proper US power plug as everyone else gets. I feel like this is simply Dune trying to get by with a cheap, easy solution instead of them shipping me the proper cable. Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bought this Dune HD unit recently and am very pleased with it. But I'm wondering what disk drives people are using in the bay. I bought a Western Digital Red 8 TB HDD. I'm finding it a little noisy. And by noise, I mean I hear what seems to be a constant "fan like" noise from the HDD, which I guess is the platters spinning. I can hear it in the Dune while sitting 2.5 meters away, during quiet moments in what I'm viewing. Is there a more suitable drive I could have gotten or possible I just got a noisy WD Red?

Thanks
Got a (only) 2T WD red Pro (for the 5 years warranty) and I have to be 20 cm near to be able to hear it...
dB meter app on the phone, phone directly on top of the casing: just under 40 dB.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I need some advice about what to do with my power adapter situation. For those that don't remember, Dune sent me a Dune HD Real Vision 4k with the wrong power plug. Mine came with a European plug but I needed a US plug, and when I emailed them asking about what type of power cord it ships with, they told me all Dune units ship with US power plugs now. Mine did not.

I contacted them last week and explained the situation to them, and they told me they would think about what they would decide to do. After 5 days and no follow-up, I emailed them again yesterday, and they finally send me an email today with their solution. They want me to order a cheap, generic plug adapter off Amazon and they will refund the amount I paid for it. here's the link to the adapter they lined to in their email:

What would you suggest I do? I don't love the idea of getting a random cheapo no-name power adapter off Amazon and introducing a fire hazard to my apartment, and the power plug is already tall, so plugging that into this adapter is going to look ridiculous and be very awkward. What does Dune normally ship for a power plug? Can anybody post a picture of the plug they ship with? If everyone else gets a normal US power cord with a more reasonable standard US plug, I don't like having to settle for this solution. I think for the money I should get the same proper US power plug as everyone else gets. I feel like this is simply Dune trying to get by with a cheap, easy solution instead of them shipping me the proper cable. Not sure what to do.
I agree with you - adding a US/EU adapter is far too flimsy hanging off an AC outlet, especially a US one.

Any standard 12v dc 2A power supply will work - Amazon sell loads, and if you're worried about a cheapo no-name Chinese power supply - well, that's exactly what ships with pretty much any consumer electronics these days. I think it's a 2.1mm dc jack on the back and most either ship with that or a set of multi plugs.

Reactions: jerimiah

·
Registered
711 Posts
I agree with you - adding a US/EU adapter is far too flimsy hanging off an AC outlet, especially a US one.

Any standard 12v dc 2A power supply will work - Amazon sell loads, and if you're worried about a cheapo no-name Chinese power supply - well, that's exactly what ships with pretty much any consumer electronics these days. I think it's a 2.1mm dc jack on the back and most either ship with that or a set of multi plugs.
Thank you. I'll look for a 12v dc 2A power supply with a 2.1mm tip. I dread having to wade through 20 pages of these on Amazon trying to find a good one but it's a better solution than using a tall adapter plug like they suggested.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Why not an ifi iPower ?
A well renowned item...
$49 on Amazon. Dune isn't going to refund me $49 for a power cord, and I'm not shelling that much extra out for this player. That's a 25% increase in price over what I paid just to have a power cable. The adapter plug they linked to was $5. That's what they have in mind. I'm willing to pay around $15 maybe for a proper power cable and see how much of it Dune will refund (should be whatever I end up paying but I can't see them refunding me $50).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Reactions: jerimiah

·
Registered
711 Posts
Wow, that's so frustrating that everyone else got those nice flat adapters and they expect me to buy the clumsy adapter they linked to in the email. Not a great first experience with Dune. Why couldn't they just send those over for me?

If I could find those on Amazon for a reasonable price I'd just order them, but I shoudln't have to anyways. They should send them to me for free.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow, that's so frustrating that everyone else got those nice flat adapters and they expect me to buy the clumsy adapter they linked to in the email. Not a great first experience with Dune. Why couldn't they just send those over for me?

If I could find those on Amazon for a reasonable price I'd just order them, but I shoudln't have to anyways. They should send them to me for free.
So just to confirm did your device come with the same type of removable adapter, however it wasn't supplied with all the parts?

Or is it a fixed adapter of the wrong type?

·
Registered
711 Posts
You should (must) insist that they send you the real power supply !
I just sent them another email telling them their solution is unacceptable and I expect a proper power plug sent to me. I'll see what happens. It's unfortunate that this isn't the first thing they offered.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Maybe that's one of the differences between the Dune Real Vision 4k and pro?

Still not great though!
Except I asked them in an email right after I placed the order if that model included a US power supply, and they assured me all their Dune products now include a US power supply.

681 - 700 of 798 Posts