AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still working on the best solution for building a media server system for my house.

Has anyone compared the new DUNE 3.0 to the new Popcorn Hour C200? Any pros / cons to either of them or thoughts on which is best?

I'm not worried about a built in BR /DVD player as I already have an OPPO BR player which handles that beutifully.

I also am not worried about an in HD as all content will be stored on a seperate server.

Priorities are (in order)

- A/V quality

- best looking easiest interface

- most flexible on file types. From what i've read they seem to be the same in this regard and probably both will cover anythign I need.

My original intention was to use a Win7/WMC box for my server and watching through the 360. However, the lack of chapters on movies is about to drive me nuts, and the FF/RW functions barely work if at all. Supposedly DIVX7 would allow for MKV support in WMC and externders, but cant get that to work to save my life. (MKV supposedly carry's the chapter / subtitle fucnctions).

So I"m about to cave on the whole WMC concept. I may re-built my OS first just to try DIVX7 again for MKV support (just to make sure its not something corrupted), but I dont hold out hope. I'm bummed becuase I wanted to get the new Centon quad tuner card soon and be able to stream HD TV anywhere in the house. However, I think the card only works through WMC, which means the recorded files will probably contain DMR encoding and not be playable outside the WMC environment. Any thoughts on whether DUNE or Popcorn Hour would allow to play such files? I really dont want two differnt players.

Assuming I do drop the WMC solution, I'm now looking for a good media player to use in our living room. Quality was important to me and these seem to be the best two options wihtout getting into anythign really expensive.

Any thoughts about what differentiates the two players is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I only own the C-200. Some differences:

- Dune can bitstream HD Audio, including standalone m2ts/mkv

- C200 can bitstream HD Audio, but not standalone m2ts/mkv (although this is supposed to be fixed at some point)

- Dune can use MyMovies, but cannot use the popular YAMJ jukebox

- C200 cannot use MyMovies, but can use YAMJ

- As far as I know, Dune will not be getting Flash UI

- C200 getting new Flash UI supposedly this month

- Dune Base costs $50 more then the C-200 (no BR Rom drive)

- Dune Prime costs $50+/- more then C-200 (depending on cost of BR Rom drive added to C-200)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/18247519

I only own the C-200. Some differences:

- Dune can bitstream HD Audio, including standalone m2ts/mkv

- C200 can bitstream HD Audio, but not standalone m2ts/mkv (although this is supposed to be fixed at some point)

- Dune can use MyMovies, but cannot use the popular YAMJ jukebox

- C200 cannot use MyMovies, but can use YAMJ

- As far as I know, Dune will not be getting Flash UI

- C200 getting new Flash UI supposedly this month

- Dune Base costs $50 more then the C-200 (no BR Rom drive)

- Dune Prime costs $50+/- more then C-200 (depending on cost of BR Rom drive added to C-200)

So the C200 doesnt work with MKV files? I thought they listed that at their site... is this a known problem?

I haven't messed with MyMovies or YAMJ but sounds like I need to look into both.

What is the Flash UI about? is the C200 going to improve the user interface, which I heard was "lacking"?

Didnt you mean the Dune base is $50 less and prime $50 more?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS /forum/post/18250335

So the C200 doesnt work with MKV files? I thought they listed that at their site... is this a known problem?

I haven't messed with MyMovies or YAMJ but sounds like I need to look into both.

What is the Flash UI about? is the C200 going to improve the user interface, which I heard was "lacking"?

Didnt you mean the Dune base is $50 less and prime $50 more?

The C200 supports mkvs, just not bitstreaming HD Audio from them currently.

Here is a guide I put together about YAMJ + Aeon ( http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...x-aeon-in-whs/ )

Right now the UIs of all the players out there are html based (so static and rather simple). A Flash based UI would give the way to a smoother more dynamic UI

No on the prices. The C200 is $299. The Dune base is $349 (so $50 more then the C-200) and the Dune Prime is $449 (so $50+ more then the C200 if you purchase a BR Rom drive for the C-200).

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Yeah, but Dune is a much cooler name then Popcorn.

·
UHD Addict
39,253 Posts
Both the Dune and the PCH have things to offer. Either one is a good choice but it really depends on what you want and like.

I tried the Base 3.0, Prime 3.0 and C200 and decided to keep the C200 and sold my Dune players. I then bought an A200 and will probably get a Popbox too.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/18251675

Both the Dune and the PCH have things to offer. Either one is a good choice but it really depends on what you want and like.

I tried the Base 3.0, Prime 3.0 and C200 and decided to keep the C200 and sold my Dune players. I then bought an A200 and will probably get a Popbox too.

Based on things I have read in various places on the 'net I find that a bit of a surprise.

I think it might be very helpful to us all if you could elaborate some on the factors that led to your decision.

·
UHD Addict
39,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt /forum/post/18252961

Based on things I have read in various places on the 'net I find that a bit of a surprise.

I think it might be very helpful to us all if you could elaborate some on the factors that led to your decision.

Why would that be a surprise. From what I've read many people chose the C200 and many people chose the Dune. It boiled down to what you wanted. The PCH is also less expensive than the DUnes and more versatile, allowing you to have two internal hard drives, or a BD Rom and hard drive.

Plus I liked how the menu system is setup better in the PCH and it comes with an RF remote which currently works well for me since my C200 behind my equipment.

Then you have the past history of PCH which is good support and firmware releases on a faitrly regular basis.

The past history and the GUI are two of the main things that shifted me to the C200. I really did not like the GUI of teh Dune players and also when adding network locations was a pain with the Dune sicne I had to type in the path which is not the case with the PCH.

I've played over ninety BD ISOs now with the C200 and it has been working very well. Although they still need to get things working 100% properly with PiP , but as far as mounting the BD ISO and playing the movie(bitstreaming advanced codecs and 1080P24 video), which is my main concern, it has worked very well.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/18254596

Why would that be a surprise. From what I've read many people chose the C200 and many people chose the Dune. It boiled down to what you wanted. The PCH is also less expensive than the DUnes and more versatile, allowing you to have two internal hard drives, or a BD Rom and hard drive.

Plus I liked how the menu system is setup better in the PCH and it comes with an RF remote which currently works well for me since my C200 behind my equipment.

Then you have the past history of PCH which is good support and firmware releases on a faitrly regular basis.

The past history and the GUI are two of the main things that shifted me to the C200. I really did not like the GUI of teh Dune players and also when adding network locations was a pain with the Dune sicne I had to type in the path which is not the case with the PCH.

I've played over ninety BD ISOs now with the C200 and it has been working very well. Although they still need to get things working 100% properly with PiP , but as far as mounting the BD ISO and playing the movie(bitstreaming advanced codecs and 1080P24 video), which is my main concern, it has worked very well.

If the C-200 finally gets bitstreaming of standalones working then I see no reason to choose the Dune just based purely on price. I like the C-200 as well because you have access to the huge community (including YAMJ, UMC, etc...) and I feel it has more potential with the pending Flash UI

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm at the same point deciding between the PCH 200's and a Dune Base. The *only* thing about the Dune that I like better is that it works as advertised right now. The PCH's have some issues regarding HD audio to work out still (I'm fairly optimistic they will).

Regarding YAMJ vs MyMovies. YAMJ is free, MyMovies is not. And frankly, YAMJ is much closer to XBMC and IMO nicer looking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In my book Mymovies is a pain and not free. The C-200 works just as well and you can use YAMJ and all skin variations. So try that but either work ok. There are some people trying to write cover art for the Dune.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i chose the c-200 and i am perfectly happy with it... i stream all my bluray isos from my 18tb mediasmart 495 server without problems...

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy /forum/post/18260904

I'm at the same point deciding between the PCH 200's and a Dune Base. The *only* thing about the Dune that I like better is that it works as advertised right now. The PCH's have some issues regarding HD audio to work out still (I'm fairly optimistic they will).

Regarding YAMJ vs MyMovies. YAMJ is free, MyMovies is not. And frankly, YAMJ is much closer to XBMC and IMO nicer looking.

What I like about the PCH is there is the chance to get even closer to an XBMC UI once the developers start creating Flash Based jukeboxes (UMC should be out soon based on this). To my knowledge this is something the Dune will not get since it uses its own code and not Sigma (this was the compromise Syabas made to stick with Sigma but by doing so still have the HD audio bitstreaming issues)

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
FWIW the Dune folks have stated that they are working on supporting Flash and creating their own version of a MJ type program.

Also the next two firmware releases are supposed to address a good number of issues that have been mentioned here.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt /forum/post/18261461

FWIW the Dune folks have stated that they are working on supporting Flash and creating their own version of a MJ type program.

Also the next two firmware releases are supposed to address a good number of issues that have been mentioned here.

Time will tell.

Good to hear, wonder how far along they are

·
Registered
139 Posts
So, there's a lot of PCH guys in the room, and I wanted to be one of them, but I love my Dune Prime too much. It does what it advertises, something PCH still can't claim, even after over half a year of subjecting their customers to becoming uncompensated beta testers. You won't see Netflix on the A-200 or C-200, something that HDI says is coming for the Dune. There are several beautiful applications being developed for the Dune UI. Yes, MyMovies isn't as nice as YAMJ, but those people that are complaining it's not free haven't researched the points model very well. I'm using MyMovies just fine and haven't paid a dime. And although there is alot of speculation about the Flash UI that is upcoming for PCH, when you get down to it, are you watching the interface, or watching the movie? I wanted a streamer that worked out of the box, and the Dune does that. The PCH models seem to have a "mileage may vary" usability. And just because HDI doesn't hold their laundry out in the forums so the customers can develop for them doesn't mean they aren't actively improving their product. There have been 2 beta firmware revisions since December, with another just around the corner. Did I mention the Dune's loader actually works, and it does not have compatibility issues with itself? With the PCH, you get another "mileage may vary" situation with the BD ROMs. It also doesn't look like a goofy plastic pancake, unlike the A-200. The Dune looks like it belongs in your stack of AV equipment. So while it is in no way perfect, it has convinced me that it was the right decision for my setup. For what it's worth, I really wanted to wait for PCH to get their act together, and even had a C-200 in a basket at one point, but I was never convinced they learned their lessons from its initial release. When the A-200 came out, featuring its own set of bugs that were unique to it, despite being developed on the SAME platform as the C-200, I finally gave up on them. I am streaming my movies from an UnRAID server in my closet, and get about 9M/s across my network. Nothing steller, but plenty for streaming. And duneplayer.com is an excellent vendor.

In the end, do your own research and then commit. Polling the forums asking which is better is like asking if Ford or Chevy make a better truck. You will get a revolving conversation with no resolution. You have to decide on your own what is best for your situation, systems, network, WAF, etc. Few people will go to the extent Aaron did by buying both players and making a decision on which to keep. And while I won't argue with Aaron about his decision, my decision worked best for me. Let us know what works for you.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is /forum/post/18263142

So, there's a lot of PCH guys in the room, and I wanted to be one of them, but I love my Dune Prime too much. It does what it advertises, something PCH still can't claim, even after over half a year of subjecting their customers to becoming uncompensated beta testers. You won't see Netflix on the A-200 or C-200, something that HDI says is coming for the Dune. There are several beautiful applications being developed for the Dune UI. Yes, MyMovies isn't as nice as YAMJ, but those people that are complaining it's not free haven't researched the points model very well. I'm using MyMovies just fine and haven't paid a dime. And although there is alot of speculation about the Flash UI that is upcoming for PCH, when you get down to it, are you watching the interface, or watching the movie? I wanted a streamer that worked out of the box, and the Dune does that. The PCH models seem to have a "mileage may vary" usability. And just because HDI doesn't hold their laundry out in the forums so the customers can develop for them doesn't mean they aren't actively improving their product. There have been 2 beta firmware revisions since December, with another just around the corner. Did I mention the Dune's loader actually works, and it does not have compatibility issues with itself? With the PCH, you get another "mileage may vary" situation with the BD ROMs. It also doesn't look like a goofy plastic pancake, unlike the A-200. The Dune looks like it belongs in your stack of AV equipment. So while it is in no way perfect, it has convinced me that it was the right decision for my setup. For what it's worth, I really wanted to wait for PCH to get their act together, and even had a C-200 in a basket at one point, but I was never convinced they learned their lessons from its initial release. When the A-200 came out, featuring its own set of bugs that were unique to it, despite being developed on the SAME platform as the C-200, I finally gave up on them. I am streaming my movies from an UnRAID server in my closet, and get about 9M/s across my network. Nothing steller, but plenty for streaming. And duneplayer.com is an excellent vendor.

In the end, do your own research and then commit. Polling the forums asking which is better is like asking if Ford or Chevy make a better truck. You will get a revolving conversation with no resolution. You have to decide on your own what is best for your situation, systems, network, WAF, etc. Few people will go to the extent Aaron did by buying both players and making a decision on which to keep. And while I won't argue with Aaron about his decision, my decision worked best for me. Let us know what works for you.

Well said. Most importantly everyone will have a different experience and opinion, there is no right answer.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts