AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I'm trying to accomplish. If anyone can help, that would be really great.

So, I have two 5.1 sets of speakers (with 2 receivers) that I'm trying to combine. Essentially, I would have 2 front left, 2 front right, 2 center, 2 left surround, 2 right surround, and 2 subs. I'm trying to get them all to output the correct 5.1 sound.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-N600 that I'm trying to run as the "master" receiver. All of the audio signals would be fed into this receiver. There is a digital optical out called MD/CD-R that I want to output from and then input into a digital input of another Yamaha receiver to run the 2nd set of speakers.

The problem is that it doesn't seem like the master receiver is sending any sort of signal out of that output. The secondary receiver isn't picking anything up and there's no light coming out of the optical plug when you look at it. Is there some sort of setting that needs to be toggled in order to turn that output on?

Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do or does this seem like the best way? Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Have you made sure that output is turned on? If there's no light going through it, it's not on. Either that or a bad cable, but you should be able to open the output and see light.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Even if you had it working I doubt the Yamaha would "passthrough" undecoded 5.1 (DD, DTS) out the S/PDIF CD-R output. Instead if the content is 5.1 signal (DD/DTS) then I think the Yamaha would decode the DD/DTS, resulting in 2ch PCM s/pdif output to the other receiver (the front left and right of the 5.1, or maybe downmixed from 5.1 to 2). But I don't have a Yamaha receiver so I can't say this definitively.

Does your Yamaha have multichannel analog outputs, and does your other reciever have multichannel analog inputs? If so, try it that way.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Why don't you just get a splitter for your SPDIF feed from your source, optical or coax as necessary? You could do this very easily and cheaply.

Are you trying to run two different 5.1 rooms at once with the same thing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts