Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share my findings:

I went out to search for the Rustoleum aluminum spray but Wal-Mart did not carry any so I decided hmmm I wonder how their auto spray paint would look if they even had anything similar.

Well low and behold they had Duplicolor Silver and Ultra Silver Auto Spray at $3.75 a can. I have sprayed this stuff before and it is quite different than normal spray paint and the metal flakes are tiny tiny.

So I took them home and sprayed my tester panel of left over Parkland Plastex. I sprayed on the textured side to reduce hot spotting...

I sprayed the top portion with ultra silver the middle with silver and left the bottom white.

Well the Silver had great blacks and better contrast than just parkland by itself but just didnt produce the gain that I liked and the ultra silver floored me by the difference. It was so much brighter and the ambient light rejection was amazing to me. I do not have a very bright projector (400 Ansi Lumens) so this made all the difference in the world. The contrast, and the colors just seemed so much more vivid that I couldnt believe I have been watching it the way I have for so long. The whites are even more white than just the white screen by itself. I am going to spray my entire screen tonite. I have the bright can lights pointed at the screen for when its not in use (vaulted ceilings) and even with the three lights on you can still see the picture where on just the normal parkland you cant see anything AT ALL so the rejection is awesome

This can has the fan spray tip and I bought a pistol grip attatchement which made the application come out very smooth spraying left to right then turning 90 degrees and cross spraying the board left to right again.

The ultra silver paint went on very uniform where as the regular silver did not but I'm sure that was my fault.

I didnt have my digi cam to take photos so I will tonite so I can post them

I would imagine this solution would be too much mettailc for higher end projectors but for low light projectors this stuff is a dream. I had virtually no hotspotting but AMAZING brightness and contrast (compared to what it was)

Just thought I would share the news :)

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Sounds like just the ticket for lower lumen and CR projectors. In reality, your $3.75 investment just extended the life of your projector handsomely. This, fellow readers, is what makes this the best AV forum on the web. Good show, amblix!!! Even more importantly it shows the importance of matching screen to projector, that is, one size does NOT fit all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Amblix,

have you ever painted an entire screen with the duplicolor ultra silver yet? any pics? how is the viewing cone? I have a LCD projector and the lamp is starting to get dim and I'm looking for a cheap easy way to get some gain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.