AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

At my workplace we are in the process of replacing 8 bookshelf speakers that are installed in our work area, which is a large room (33ft x 100ft x 17ft). The room is acoustically bright (no carpets) and is full of noisy stainless steel machines.

Our setup:

Sherwood stereo receiver

Two amplifiers (Carver TFM-6CB)

Long runs (50 - 100 feet) of 12-gauge speaker wires (to the 8 speakers).

Our current speakers are some cheapie bookshelf ones from Radio Shack - 5 paper cone - three of them are already shot, since we listen to music at fairly high volumes...

We have three limitations. One is the budget (naturally...) - max $200 per speaker. Second one - we must purchase one from a B&M store (Best Buy, Fry's, etc). Third one is weight - our wall brackets cannot support speakers heavier than 15 pounds.

So far I have one speaker in mind - Best Buy's Insignia NS-B2111. It seems powerful enough (120W peak power), has decent bass thanks to the large cabinet and the 6.5 woofer. It is presumably durable as well, since the cone is made of carbon fiber. (We've blown enough speakers already - now we are trying to find a LASTING solution...)

The Insignia for $89/pair sure looks good, I am just not convinced that we couldn't do better for our budget... As I've said, we could spend up to $200 on a single speaker... So I am awaiting suggestions regarding better sounding, more durable alternatives!

One more thing - most of the time we are listening to FM stations at pretty high volumes; it is so nice to overpower all that noise from the machines with some LOUD pop or rock music...

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzz..oltan! /forum/post/18164912

Greetings!

At my workplace we are in the process of replacing 8 bookshelf speakers that are installed in our work area, which is a large room (33ft x 100ft x 17ft). The room is acoustically bright (no carpets) and is full of noisy stainless steel machines.

Our setup:

Sherwood stereo receiver

Two amplifiers (Carver TFM-6CB)

Long runs (50 – 100 feet) of 12-gauge speaker wires (to the 8 speakers).

Our current speakers are some cheapie bookshelf ones from Radio Shack – 5” paper cone – three of them are already shot, since we listen to music at fairly high volumes...

We have three limitations. One is the budget (naturally...) – max $200 per speaker. Second one – we must purchase one from a B&M store (Best Buy, Fry’s, etc). Third one is weight – our wall brackets cannot support speakers heavier than 15 pounds.

So far I have one speaker in mind – Best Buy’s Insignia NS-B2111. It seems powerful enough (120W peak power), has decent bass thanks to the large cabinet and the 6.5” woofer. It is presumably durable as well, since the cone is made of carbon fiber. (We’ve blown enough speakers already – now we are trying to find a LASTING solution...)

The Insignia for $89/pair sure looks good, I am just not convinced that we couldn’t do better for our budget... As I’ve said, we could spend up to $200 on a single speaker... So I am awaiting suggestions regarding better sounding, more durable alternatives!

One more thing – most of the time we are listening to FM stations at pretty high volumes; it is so nice to overpower all that noise from the machines with some LOUD pop or rock music...

Behringer Truth B2031P http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...RWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

These are very good speakers for the price and durable. They are also under your budget. A very accurate speaker that has good bass for a small bookshelf. In this price range not much can touch them. Only downside is their looks and for your situation that should not be a problem. They do not have grills.

Added

They are heavy built so I don't think they will meet your weight limit.

·
Registered
490 Posts
paradigm mini monitor's would sound pretty good and if you have 8 of them they should put out good sound. its tough to find a bookshelf thats going to put out a lot of good sound under 15 lbs

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Look at Polk Audio Atrium 55 (199$ pair and 7 pounds each) or Atrium 60 (299$ pair and 12 pounds each). I have a pair of Atrium 45 (the smallest one) and the sound is very good for the price (99$ pair). I used these speakers for 2 zone in the pool area (outdoor). BTW, these speakers are weatherproof.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/atrium/index.php

Bye

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like those Behringers! But as you've mentioned as well, 25lbs is just too heavy.

At the same time, thanks for pointing me in that direction (Pro Audio Passive Monitors) - its little brother, the Behringer TRUTH B2030P looks like the ticket so far! Loud, can take a licking... And only 15lbs! Now if I we could locate it at a local B&M...

Quote:
Behringer Truth B2031P

These are very good speakers for the price and durable. They are also under your budget. A very accurate speaker that has good bass for a small bookshelf. In this price range not much can touch them. Only downside is their looks and for your situation that should not be a problem. They do not have grills.

Added

They are heavy built so I don't think they will meet your weight limit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! The Atrium 60 looks good as well. It probably could produce lower bass compared to the Behringer B2030P (at least based on the listed specs). I wonder which one of the two would be more durable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaño /forum/post/18165077

Look at Polk Audio Atrium 55 (199$ pair and 7 pounds each) or Atrium 60 (299$ pair and 12 pounds each). I have a pair of Atrium 45 (the smallest one) and the sound is very good for the price (99$ pair). I used these speakers for 2 zone in the pool area (outdoor). BTW, these speakers are weatherproof.

Bye

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
In that room - go with the cheapest speaker you can find that meets your weight and durability requirements, the Insignia if they do.

Especially since you should probably be listeing through ear protection. :p

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzz..oltan! /forum/post/18165083

I like those Behringers! But as you've mentioned as well, 25lbs is just too heavy.

At the same time, thanks for pointing me in that direction (Pro Audio Passive Monitors) - its little brother, the Behringer TRUTH B2030P looks like the ticket so far! Loud, can take a licking... And only 15lbs! Now if I we could locate it at a local B&M...

Sam Ash, Music Land, Guitar Center, any place like that around you?

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzz..oltan! /forum/post/18165157

Thanks! The Atrium 60 looks good as well. It probably could produce lower bass compared to the Behringer B2030P (at least based on the listed specs). I wonder which one of the two would be more durable...

More durable? without a doubt the Atrium wins in that category.

Polk's Atrium Series speakers meet or exceed military specifications for environmental endurance. The tests have coded names like "ASTM D5894-UV Salt Fog," "Mil standard 810 Immersion" and "Mil standard 883 Method 1009 8 for salt and corrosion." But passing them means that Atrium speakers can withstand some of the worst that Mother Nature can dish out. In addition, stainless steel, brass and aluminum hardware ensures years of rustproof reliability.

Bye

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
BTW, I instaled 6 pairs of Atrium 45 in a Coiled Tubing boat for petroleum drilling operations in the Maracaibo Lake of Venezuela 10 years ago and then still working like the first day.

Bye

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaño /forum/post/18165980

BTW, I instaled 6 pairs of Atrium 45 in a Coiled Tubing boat for petroleum drilling operations in the Maracaibo Lake of Venezuela 10 years ago and then still working like the first day.

Bye

This is one of my favorite posts ever on AVS.

Just came back to add a PS, you're closing out a lot of options by needing to use a B&M store. Prices on the speakers discussed, and other options too. Check out Parts Express for some idea of what you're missing. Though no way to top that last comment!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
I'd look for higher sensitivity than the typical 85 dB-87 dB you'll get from most small bookshelf speakers. I would also not be concerned about bass, and add a cheap sub to the room to fill in the bottom end. The Atrium speakers appear to be a good choice. Also, look at some "music store" speakers that may play louder without damage. Pro speakers in the same range will generally not sound as good but they'll survive abuse better. Look at Zzounds.com or samedaymusic.com for cheap monitors. I mention those only because I use them for my musician stuff.

You guys party at work, or what??

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'd be more concerned about sustained use at high volume levels than any sort of real environmental concern. Sounds like you are using them in a machine shop environment and some folks here may not understand how much power you will need to be feeding them on a continuous basis just to overcome the room and machine noise floor.

Normal consumer living room type speakers shouldn't even be in contention. The drivers (tweeters esp) aren't built for it and they won't hold up.

Outdoor speakers like the Atriums are a move in the right direction but I believe those are more focused on environmental durability rather than high service load durability. I would avoid paper drivers due to the machining environment (moisture, oil) but that is probably the key concern.

Just my .02 but something like JBL controls 28's are what I would recommend. Since you are buying a few of them you may be able to find a dealer willing to work with you.

I have a pair of 28's in my garage that I picked up off CL for $75 a year or so ago. I have no doubt that they would be a near perfect fit.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/18166212

I'd look for higher sensitivity than the typical 85 dB-87 dB you'll get from most small bookshelf speakers. I would also not be concerned about bass, and add a cheap sub to the room to fill in the bottom end. The Atrium speakers appear to be a good choice. Also, look at some "music store" speakers that may play louder without damage. Pro speakers in the same range will generally not sound as good but they'll survive abuse better. Look at Zzounds.com or samedaymusic.com for cheap monitors. I mention those only because I use them for my musician stuff.

+1.

But the only problem with PA/Pro Speakers is weight. Is dificult to find a PA/Pro Speaker less than 15 pounds weight.

Examples (less than 200$ each): Peavey PR10N (20 pounds each), JBL C1PRO (5 pounds each), Behringer B212XL (24 pounds each), Peavey Impulse 7 (8 pounds each)......

Bye

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare /forum/post/18166453

I'd be more concerned about sustained use at high volume levels than any sort of real environmental concern. Sounds like you are using them in a machine shop environment and some folks here may not understand how much power you will need to be feeding them on a continuous basis just to overcome the room and machine noise floor.

Normal consumer living room type speakers shouldn't even be in contention. The drivers (tweeters esp) aren't built for it and they won't hold up.

Outdoor speakers like the Atriums are a move in the right direction but I believe those are more focused on environmental durability rather than high service load durability. I would avoid paper drivers due to the machining environment (moisture, oil) but that is probably the key concern.

Just my .02 but something like JBL controls 28's are what I would recommend. Since you are buying a few of them you may be able to find a dealer willing to work with you.

I have a pair of 28's in my garage that I picked up off CL for $75 a year or so ago. I have no doubt that they would be a near perfect fit.

JBL Control 28 is a good idea, 13 pounds each, 175 watts, 92 dB SPL, 55 Hz to 20 kHz response, durable, but is 480$/pair....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First of all, thanks everybody for contributing! Slare, your comment proved to be especially useful. I think you nailed it.

OK, so I have a new favorite now; the JBL Control 28... I don't doubt its superb durability, it is light (12lbs) while it still manages to have an 8-inch woofer (!); rated for 175 Watts (!!). The high sensitivity sure comes handy to take the load off our source equipment... And it looks like it's available below the price I was given (that is, $200) from some very reputable internet stores. B&M $250-ish still might be doable, but I will have to ask my manager about that.

As for the reason why we have to shop local - a company card will be used for paying, and I guess buying something off the internet would raise a red flag... I am only guessing though; coming Monday I will have a talk with my manager to clarify things - and to present our options so far from this thread.

Now, looks like our Fry's has the Polk Atrium 60 in stock for $199+tax (for a pair). So unless I find the JBL Control 28 in a B&M around us somewhere, we might just pick that one up. By the way my company is located in one of the suburbs of LA, so we have plenty of access to a score of stores. (Guitar Center, Sam Ash included...)

Are you guys aware of a national B&M chain selling the Control series from JBL? Google price search did not bring any up... I wouldn't mind traveling an hour or two within LA to pick these up (after obtaining the buy-in from my manager).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/18166212

Thanks, Paul for your comment as well. Oh yes, we work hard but party even harder...

My team covers the swing and the grave shift, and as soon management is gone in the evening, on the floor we crank the volume up! Helps spending the time while monitoring the equipment overnight and keeps us awake, really... (My next post will be regarding some disco balls, actually! Just to further stimulate our bodies through light effects therefore increase work safety, of course...)

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
No doubt, the JBL Control 28 is a step up compared to the Atrium 60. If the place is not exposed to an aggressive environment and is roofing, the JBL Control 28 are the appropriate speakers for your needs.

BTW, I doubt if two Carver TFM-6CB amps (65 watts per channel x 2 / 200 watts bridge x 1) are sufficient to move 8 JBL Control 28 speakers...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So just to wrap this thread up, I was actually able to locate the JBL Control 28 at a local reseller within the specified price range. Had to jump through some loops in the process (calling JBL for the local distributor, calling the local distributor for a list of local resellers, calling resellers around for their best offer...) But I am sure it will be worth it at the end! Ultimately it is about finding the (quiet possibly) greatest solution to a situation, and looks like these JBL-s are the best answer to ours.

Thanks again, everybody!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts