AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duratex seems to be popular as an easy and durable finish to many or our projects (baffles or complete speakers/subs). I was considering it but wasn't sure if I wanted black. Sure, black disappears well in a dark room, but it can be kind of boring. A little digging and I saw that they also offered in white. More digging, and I found out that you can get duratex in all sorts of colors! This might be old news to some, but I have a feeling that many may not know this.

I had a conversation with Miki at Acry-Tech (where you buy duratex) and this is what Miki had to say:

TL;DR version: They can color match to most medium to darker colors. Light colors can't be done with the Ultra Deep tint base. Costs $62 + shipping /gallon.

Quote:
What I will need is for you to supply me with the name, number & manufacturer of the color – for example, “Kimono Violet SW 6839 – Sherwin Williams”. What we will do is cross reference the color name, number & manufacturer that you give us with the formulas that we have on hand here to see if we can get as close as possible to the color that you want. It’s also important that you pick the color off an actual color swatch in person rather than finding a color online that you like. I’m making DuraTex today in this Sherwin Williams “Kimono Violet SW 6839” color & the actual color swatch looks radically different than how the color looks online. Colors can vary a great deal on a computer monitor & we want to take every step that we can to try to match the color accurately. We usually have pretty good luck hitting the colors – and this is without the computer color technology. We do our colors the old fashioned way here (by eye & without a computer). If it’s a color that we can’t match then the other option is to sell you the DuraTex Ultra Deep Tint Base & you can take it to a local store & have them do the tinting for you. We always tell people to make sure that they already have the tinting lined up before ordering the product & paying to have it shipped to you to insure that you will be able to have someone tint it for you. So, to answer your question, we have 2 ways that the DuraTex can be tinted. Good news!

Also, please keep in mind that this is an Ultra Deep Tint Base & only the darker colors can be tinted from this. Light colors are not tintable in an Ultra Deep Tint Base.

The price for the Ultra Deep Tint Base is $61.95 per gallon (which is the same as the White price). We don’t charge any extra for the tinting so if we match the color, it’s $61.95 per gallon. If it’s a color that we can’t match – or if the customer prefers to have it tinted locally, the price is $61.95 per gallon still. So, there is some added value in having us do the tinting because there isn’t another charge that could be incurred by the local store doing the tinting. We also create a customer card for everyone that ever orders a custom color from us so we have excellent records. This comes in handy when the customer wants to re-order the same color years down the road. The Ultra Deep Tint Base isn’t on our web store currently so this is a product that has to be ordered through our office & not on the online store. I’m going to see what we can do about having the Tint Base mentioned online so that people will at least know that it’s available as an alternative to black or white. Some of my favorite pictures of customer’s speakers are actually the ones with the wild custom colors on them. They really POP!

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Very Interesting, great info AG. ++

Reactions: Rebel975

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wife was wanting to bring some color into the room, so we were contemplating hand polished painted cabs...but it is a ton of work to do all the layers and sand/buff to a shine. I think I'm going to go this route instead :-D

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I used some white Duratex for my Econowave SRs :

And my pair of BFM Autotubas :

I got white because I originally built the Econowaves to use outdoors in the sun at Burning Man. I liked the way they sound, so I ended up using them in my living room, too. I built the Autotubas for another festival, but ended up not taking them. They provide bass for the garage. Bass in the house is handled by my 6-foot THTLP , which is also painted white (not Duratex) with giant bacon strips on the sides. It has a "pop art" feel and blends into the dacor:

-Max

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Thanks for the pics Max. I am wanting to use white duratex also for all my outdoor gear. After laying quite a few pavers in the Australian sun the difference between dark and white is HUGE. So I am sticking with white if I can. I have never seen any pictures of the white duratex though. BUT thanks to your pictures I have now.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Max- Did you paint the bacon on there right on top of the white Duratex or was it laminated? What type of paint?
I did not use Duratex on the sub. I just primed the sub and painted it with some extra (semi-gloss interior?) white paint that I had. The finish is smooth, so it was no problem to paint the bacon over it. I don't know if the paint would stick to Duratex or not.

-Max

1 - 14 of 14 Posts