AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy loaned my his Peavey bass cab a while back (118-SUB HC) which had a single 700W RMS Peavey Black Widow in it. It was probably 15 years old when I got it so my Mackie amp did it in within a year. I was feeding it 1400W RMS (bridged 4ohm) and did it in.

My buddy will let me change out the speaker but I love the cabinet. It's about a 6.5 cubic foot ported box, though I'm thinking of sealing it up for tighter response. I'd like something that can play below 30 hz, I've seen some models that only go to 35 or 40. My Mackie amp crosses it at 63hz, seems a good fit.

What would be a good 18" driver that will work well in a box that volume, and preferably under $400. Also needs to be able to handle the wattage. I was looking at this RCF sub but I don't know anything about RCF or their quality:

http://www.rcfaudio.com/vediMacro.ph...00/product.htm

Thanks all

·
Registered
747 Posts
I know you can buy drivers from elemental designs directly that do about what you're asking for. I'm not sure about other internet direct companies.

Edit: I'm not sure if any single driver they make will handle 1400W very well if you drive it hard though.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Black Widows are modular. So it can be fixed right?

I'd probably respect the tuning of the cab and not try to produce frequencies all to much onder the cab tuning.

I'd probably just suggest getting the driver fixed. I mean it held up pretty long with a lot of power and I'd bank some output abuse too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Peavey BW 18 only plays down to 40 hz, and I can afford a little better freq. response and power handling. Even their Lowmax sub only plays down to 30, but has pretty good power handling.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
That seems sort of about what the cabinet is tuned to is my only point. Even though I do it as well, your not supposed to try to try to reproduce frequencies below the cabinet tuning is all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I understand. i don't mind playing with sealing the box or messing with port volumes to tune it lower if need be (couldn't really hurt) but I figured I could find a better HT driver than a BW for low end notes. Someone in the DIY forum suggested a Maelstrom-X, looks to have good freq response and excursion (33mm) and almost the power handling I was looking for. Not a bad price for it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gos2slo /forum/post/14166858

Yeah, I understand. i don't mind playing with sealing the box or messing with port volumes to tune it lower if need be (couldn't really hurt) but I figured I could find a better HT driver than a BW for low end notes. Someone in the DIY forum suggested a Maelstrom-X, looks to have good freq response and excursion (33mm) and almost the power handling I was looking for. Not a bad price for it.

You've only stated that you want to get a lower response.

How loud are you aiming for?

The Maelstrom is great for going down below 15hz, and could probably work well in the box you have.. But I'm sure there are some PA drivers with higher sensitivty that would be even better at going loud around 25hz.

http://www.shredmuzic.com/product_p/813-007.htm

Maybe give those a shot. Madison makes some pretty good PA stuff. Their newest Elite series dual 15" PA cabs sound great and go loud. Very comparable to the JBL SRX700 series.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/14174510

with 1400 WATTS of raw power Frequency response is the least of your worries.

I bet that thing kicked ass when it was working.

Yep, in a 12X12 room I had it face down (with a set of casters under it for airspace) and it would seriously shake the room. If you knelt next to it the air rushing out would make your knees cold!

I was also wondering, what about using a car audio 18? They come in 4 ohms, big power handling, etc...Something like an Fi BL or Audiobahn? Like this: https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gos2slo /forum/post/14174604

Yep, in a 12X12 room I had it face down (with a set of casters under it for airspace) and it would seriously shake the room. If you knelt next to it the air rushing out would make your knees cold!

I was also wondering, what about using a car audio 18? They come in 4 ohms, big power handling, etc...Something like an Fi BL or Audiobahn? Like this: https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript

Get WINISD and model it according to your enclosure. Just eyeballing it, I don't think it's what you're looking for. Low sensitivity.. You're gonna need more power to get = SPL compared to a driver with higher sensitivity.

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts

A buddy loaned my his Peavey bass cab a while back (118-SUB HC) which had a single 700W RMS Peavey Black Widow in it. It was probably 15 years old when I got it so my Mackie amp did it in within a year. I was feeding it 1400W RMS (bridged 4ohm) and did it in.

My buddy will let me change out the speaker but I love the cabinet. It's about a 6.5 cubic foot ported box, though I'm thinking of sealing it up for tighter response. I'd like something that can play below 30 hz, I've seen some models that only go to 35 or 40. My Mackie amp crosses it at 63hz, seems a good fit.

What would be a good 18" driver that will work well in a box that volume, and preferably under $400. Also needs to be able to handle the wattage. I was looking at this RCF sub but I don't know anything about RCF or their quality:

http://www.rcfaudio.com/vediMacro.ph...00/product.htm

Thanks all[/QUOT

For 6.5 cubes I think the Madison Executioner would be a good fit. They have a model M1-218 with dual 18s sharing 13 cubic feet so half that should be ideal for 1. Shredmuzic.com if you wanna explore more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mackie amp has a switchable 63/128hz LP xover, and an adjustable HP cutover (36 to 0 hz (off)) I had it set at 20 but it was probably still too low given the cabinets smallish single vent/port (about 30 square inches.)

Given the small size of the room I think I can sacrifice a little sensitivity for freq. response, especially given the huge wattage. I would still rather have a 97db driver than an 88, but if all the other stats are good that's one I could live with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts