AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using IO, and for the most part, my HDTV channels frequently exhibit macro blocking, distortion and occasionally sound drop-outs. But I never noticed how bad it really was until I started watching Planet Earth on Discovery HD last night. I have Planet Earth on Blu-Ray, so I know what it's supposed to look like. IO's quality was nothing short of horrible. I felt like I was watching an over-the-air HD signal with the antenna slightly out of adjustment. I've always heard Discovery was supposed to have the best PQ, but apparently not on Cablevision.

I would change services in a heartbeat, but unfortunately I'm in college and live at home, and my parents refuse to get FIOS because "the have to dig up the front lawn"

Anyone else have such bad quality with IO?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I wouldn't be quick to blame your provider on this one. DSC has horrible picture quality. I'm on FIOS and i still get frequent macroblocking with them. Their feed is just generally terrible.

Discovery HD Theater (or just HD Theater now) has incredible picture quality, but their HD simulcast of regular old Discovery is a low bitrate mess.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by path87 /forum/post/15465303

I'm currently using IO, and for the most part, my HDTV channels frequently exhibit macro blocking, distortion and occasionally sound drop-outs. But I never noticed how bad it really was until I started watching Planet Earth on Discovery HD last night. I have Planet Earth on Blu-Ray, so I know what it's supposed to look like. IO's quality was nothing short of horrible. I felt like I was watching an over-the-air HD signal with the antenna slightly out of adjustment. I've always heard Discovery was supposed to have the best PQ, but apparently not on Cablevision.

I would change services in a heartbeat, but unfortunately I'm in college and live at home, and my parents refuse to get FIOS because "the have to dig up the front lawn"

Anyone else have such bad quality with IO?

You are thinking IO should look as good as a Blu-Ray HD DVD?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 /forum/post/15465328

I wouldn't be quick to blame your provider on this one. DSC has horrible picture quality. I'm on FIOS and i still get frequent macroblocking with them. Their feed is just generally terrible.

Discovery HD Theater (or just HD Theater now) has incredible picture quality, but their HD simulcast of regular old Discovery is a low bitrate mess.

Yeah, I've pretty much stopped watching because of that. But last night I tuned into Planet Earth and it looked very impressive. Maybe they've fixed it?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Don't dig up your yard. Planet Earth looks horrible on Disc-HD via Dish. Disc-HD is one of the worst looking channels in my Dish HD lineup. The only thing that compares to Blu-Ray are those 1080p VOD things.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate /forum/post/15467633

Don't dig up your yard. Planet Earth looks horrible on Disc-HD via Dish.

+1, most definitely! What happened --- I watched Planet Earth some time ago when it ran on Discovery, and it was great back then! Now, it looks more like SD quality on 16:9.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 /forum/post/15465733

You are thinking IO should look as good as a Blu-Ray HD DVD?

No, I just think it shouldn't have horrible macroblocking and audio drop-outs.

But it's good to know I'm not the only one having problems. Seems that Cablevision is suffering from the same syndrome that satellite radio is suffering from, too many useless channels and not enough bandwidth. Ugh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts