AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the dreaded dust blob, showing up as a white-ish blob near the center of the screen. I've checked the detailed post that a PLV60 owner put up over at TheBigPictureDVD.com complete with photos. I searched but could find nothing like it for this projector.

Questions:

Is the XP21N/Boxlight 38T pretty much the same inside as the PLV60 and can I follow that cleaning procedure?

Any other coaching as to how to diagnose and clean the blob?

Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
375 Posts
Dan,

I haven't had the pleasure to play around with the XP21 yet (I will be soon though). However, all of Sanyo's mid-size units have almost identical optical engines. Use my previous posts on cleaning the PLV-60 or those from the Sanyo forum over at the big pic as a guide. Not often mentioned in the big pic forum (if at all) is the need to follow good anti-static service procedures while the case is open.

Thump

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thump:

Could you make some specific suggestions about anti-static procedures?

I interpret your post to mean when I take the top off I should pretty much see the same thing.

Have you thought about offering optimization of LCD players, including this Sanyo? I'd sure be interested.

Dan

·
Registered
375 Posts
Dan,

I personally use an anti-static workstation with A.S. desk mat, an A.S. floor mat, sometimes an ankle strap and always a wrist strap, all with a good ground block connection and I work on a concrete slab (on-grade) to boot. Some in-home procedures would be: not doing the work on a carpeted floor, tile floor is better, concrete slab is best. Relative humidity above 60% is better, below 40% not good. Grounding yourself is good but always through a 1 megaohm resistor: Note that wrist straps with the resistor built-in are not expensive $5-$15 US and would be a good service tool to have with PJs that need this kind of routine maintenance. And don't have anything plugged into AC around you (that could be very, very bad http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Sit the PJ on tile (as in a countertop), a workbench or what not (no cloth or carpet or paper pads please).

The 21 should look very much like the PLV-60 with the cover off. The LCD panels and polarizer plates and combining block all have to be accessible for alignment by the factory techs.

Sorry, but the DLP "family" out there keeps me very busy these days, no time to take on the challenges of the LCD bunch.

Thumps 2c

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Thump!

If you get around to LCDs please let me know.

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.