AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to reconfigure a system.

Looking to upgrade to pre/pro + 5ch amp (Emo?). The amp is too big for my rack [weight]>>> WAF.[5.1 system].

Has anyone made a dust cover for an amp? Something likes a TAP Plastic box- cables go out- heat goes out- dust stays out. Stand-alone.

Picture or drawings would be great.

I would have to place the 5ch. amp in a crawl space {Humidity ok /temp 54-57} but this area can be slightly dusty- but not bad.

The amp would be only about 5 ft away from the system [but in a different room and not easy to get to] and I would turn it ON by a trigger switch or R3223 {?}. Once a power amp is setup it really doesn't need much attention- right?

TBD- analogue and HDMI or just HDMI--- 50/50 music/BR

Any other thoughts are dearly welcome..

db

·
Registered
838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB /forum/post/18123733

I want to reconfigure a system.

Looking to upgrade to pre/pro + 5ch amp (Emo?). The amp is too big for my rack [weight]>>> WAF.[5.1 system].

Has anyone made a dust cover for an amp? Something likes a TAP Plastic box- cables go out- heat goes out- dust stays out. Stand-alone.

Picture or drawings would be great.

I would say that this is not the best idea, if you put the amp in an enclosure to keep dust out you also are keeping heat in. So then you would have to add a fan to circulate air to keep the amp cool. But now that you are forcing air through you are also forcing dust in and you have a dustier amp than if it was just sitting there. Now if you are using an amp with active cooling to begin with then you have the same problem. You could do some sort of filter around the amp, but you would have to be very careful not to impede airflow.

If the area isn't horribly dusty I would just leave the amp alone and just make sure it got cleaned out a couple times a year, depending on how bad it is...

Quote:
I would have to place the 5ch. amp in a crawl space {Humidity ok /temp 54-57} but this area can be slightly dusty- but not bad.

The amp would be only about 5 ft away from the system [but in a different room and not easy to get to] and I would turn it ON by a trigger switch or R3223 {?}. Once a power amp is setup it really doesn't need much attention- right?

TBD- analogue and HDMI or just HDMI--- 50/50 music/BR

Any other thoughts are dearly welcome..

db

If you buy an amp with a remote trigger port and your AVR has a trigger out, you just need to run a cable between the 2 so the AVR turns the amp on when it comes on.

If you don't have any trigger on one or both, you could get a power sensing ' smart strip '.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I wouldn't build a box around the amp. If putting the amp in a dusty, difficult to access area I would arrange some kind of a "shield" over the top to keep most dust from just falling into it, but leaving sufficient room for heat to escape.

I wouldn't put an amp in a crawlspace to begin with, though. Were I a mouse, I'd think on top of those warm vents would be a wonderful place to build my winter nest.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
What if you mounted some fans on the top blowing away from the amp? That might help keep dust out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.