AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony VPL-CS1 LCD projector that has contracted a case of dust on the green LCD panel. It produces a visible green halo spot during dark passages.

I have cleaned the filters (did that regularly to begin with) and have tried vacuuming out the case.

Any suggestions how to remedy this? Is this a “factory service job�

Thank You!

·
Registered
842 Posts
So thats what it is. I have the same problem, I even contacted that optical engeinnier from Mitsubishi to find out why I sunddly have a green spot on the dark or shadow in my PJ. I will call him back and ask him how to clean that up and will post any information I get, and please let me know any info. Rick

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you adjust the focus way out you can focus in the dust spec and actually see it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Sharp Z5000 that I am about to replace has a really bad dust problem - when the tech repolaced the bulb last year he said that we would have to return it to the factory to clean the panels..... at the princely sum of Yen100000 - or about USD800 - .... throw that in with the cost of another new bulb (yen50000 -USD 450) and now you can see why i am thinking of upgrading.

Hope you hve an easier model for cleaning.

Cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi,

On the bottom of the CS1 is a filter. Below that is a fan. Remove the screws that hold the fan in place. Pull the fan out just enough to get at the panels. Then use a can of air to blow on all sides of the panels. Don't over do it as the can of air may shoot out some liquid if used too long. The dust should be gone. It works every time.

Avery

------------------

My HT Pics http://members.aol.com/thxavery/

[This message has been edited by thxave (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That's pretty much what I do to, only I blow through the fan and around it using the little tube on the air can. It's hard to remove the fan on my Sharp DW100U.

However, this seems to help only the dust you can see in bright scenes. For the very stubborn large spot (usually looks greenish) in dark (or black) backgrounds, I found I had to remove the case cover to blow out all the optics and everything. Unfortunately this requires taking the projector down http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif . Luckily this only happens every 6 mo or so.

If you ever have to take the cover off, take the oportunity to blow out that "non-user serviceable" filter next to the bulb housing. It's amazing how dirty that can get in a years time. I'm sure this could contribute to premature bulb failure.

Carey

------------------

My forever in-progress Home Theatre

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found some canned air (CRC Duster brand) at Lowe's, quite surprised to find it there. Followed thxave's suggestions and I am happy to report the condition is completely cured!

Thank You! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
842 Posts
I found the best way to avoid future dust is, when you are about to clean the filters make sure you cover the fan right way. I beleave the the panels becomes vulnerabel if let opened for the time of the cleaning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.