AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of riding the fence, I broke down and bought the Panny L300u. My prior projector was a Sony 1252 CRT. So far the uncalibrated out of the box picture is very satisfying. The projector is mounted about 1 foot behind a ceiling fan. In the process of mounting the projector I noticed a TON of collected dust on the fan blades. What is everyone doing with their suspended projectors to protect them from the dust? What is the best way to prevent the dreded dust blob?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Although I have never been able to totally eliminate the problem, I have been able to substantially reduce the occurrences of the dust blobs. Since I have a dedicated home theater room in the basement, I purchased a Honeywell model #1350 portable hepa filter. I only run the hepa filter when the room is not in use. I don't run it everyday, but only before I am about to use the room for extended movie viewing. I also clean the intake filter every 100 hours and I occasionally put a vacuum hose to the projector cooling fan intake vent located on the side of the projector about once per week. I also mounted a small air conditioner type filter about an inch above the projector filter intake. This helps keep overhead ceiling dust from settling on the air intake of the projector. There is a slot opening on my peerless mounting bracket where I let this filter sit. I am not sure which method has worked the best, but the combination of all has reduced dust blob occurrences. They still occur, but not as often as they use to. Before doing this, I had the lcd panels cleaned about every 6 months. Now I have them cleaned about every 1.5 years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.