AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an X1 projector in an enclosed room in basement, but it still is somewhat dusty (noticeable when bulb is on). Is there any sort of "dust removal" machine that can be placed in that room to suck up dust to keep projector filter cleaner? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,639 Posts
An aircleaner with a hepa filter, but I don't think they are cheap. If you haven't already, buy a better air filter for your HVAC unit. Those blue netting ones suck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
Here is the brand of air purifier/filter systems that were used last week on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" for the little girl who had to have a clean environment to keep her from getting sick. Some of these units can clean the air to exceed "clean-room" or hospital levels.

IQAir Systems


Expensive and possibly overkill, but I've definitely seen people on this forum spend more for less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinp8192
Here is the brand of air purifier/filter systems that were used last week on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" for the little girl who had to have a clean environment to keep her from getting sick. Some of these units can clean the air to exceed "clean-room" or hospital levels.

IQAir Systems


Expensive and possibly overkill, but I've definitely seen people on this forum spend more for less.
No such thing as overkill. I do wonder how positive pressure would affect the sound though (both directly and as a result of affecting the equipment).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do use the nice filters on my HVAC unit. A few months ago, I read a thread from someone about this same thing and I think he said he bought some sort of air cleaner at Radio Shack. I can't find anything with a search though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,832 Posts
Quote:
I do wonder how positive pressure would affect the sound though
The same way humidity and temperature affect the sound. Sound travels faster in denser mediums. Since the affect is constant throughout the room, I don't think it would be perceptible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
How about the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze units? I would think something like that along with vacuuming the room with a vacuum that includes hepa filtration should work. Make sure you vacuum a lot to get all the dust out of the carpet so you don't stir it up every time you walk on it.


For fast removal of lots of dust, get a box fan and put one of the pleated 3M filters on the intake side and let it run for several days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,639 Posts
I've got some of the expensive air filters and an electrostatic air cleaner on our HVAC unit and there is still a little dust floating in the room. Not that noticable unless you really look for it in front of the lens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
How about the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze units? I would think something like that along with vacuuming the room with a vacuum that includes hepa filtration should work. Make sure you vacuum a lot to get all the dust out of the carpet so you don't stir it up every time you walk on it.

....
Probably not a good idea to be sucking ozone into your lungs voluntarily.


Free radicals. DNA damage. Not nice stuff.


Better to stick with a HEPA-type filter. More expensive, but this is what hospitals use in laboratories.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AcuraCL
Probably not a good idea to be sucking ozone into your lungs voluntarily.


Free radicals. DNA damage. Not nice stuff.
I have been told by all kinds of people that they love their Ionic breeze units. Maybe they just don't know what you know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
I have been told by all kinds of people that they love their Ionic breeze units. Maybe they just don't know what you know?
I'm sure the units work well ... if not they would never sell at that price point.


Ozone easily changes to O2 plus O ... O is what you may have heard called a "free radical" (not the kind who completed their sentences in the 60s). Free radicals bind with whatever comes nearest them with the correct charge ... which is often DNA. This messes up the DNA pattern ... and messed up DNA is a cause of cancer.


Now, am I saying that the Ionic Breeze causes cancer? Of course not. All I said was, it creates Ozone, Ozone cleans the air but can cause cellular damage, and when I have a choice, I avoid messing up my DNA. I already spent too many years screwing it up.


HEPA filters are way more effective, and don't f*** up DNA.


Cancer is never fun. I don't run around avoiding everything everyone says might be a cause, but there are potential causes I do avoid. That's why I gave up cigarettes.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top