AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...my TV has likely just arrived in the past few minutes (was scheduled for deliv between 1p and 4p today but I'm stuck at work!!!!) It is a brand new Sammy HLN467W to replace my broken (and only 3.5 yr old) pana ct-34wx50 (and I will NEVER buy Pana again!!! Talk about money down the drain for that old 34" WS!)

The new Sammy is a DLP 46" and I'm incredibly excited.

Now, I won't have any HD available in our area for quite some time (and can't currently do satellite for several reasons), so I currently have no use for DVI....however, if I eventually get a DVI player and a DVI settop-box or PVR, I will then need an adapter for dual DVI (does that exist? Will that exist? If not, how are/will people handle that)?

At its time, a few years ago, the DV-37 was considered somewhat of a reference player (though there was quite a bit of discussion about some luminence bug, I'm oblivious to it and LOVE the DV-37). It is component out---I thought this, too, was considered the best, but am finding out that DVI is now far superior apparently? Add to that the fact that the new set has the Farjouda(i) (sp?) chip for superb progressive viewing, and I'll be trying my DV-37 both in and out of progressive for the first time (out for the sake of letting the Far. chip do its thing)....but the big question is this....

going prices on the DV-37 seem to be around $200 - $300 used. That's in the range of the DVI units...are the DVI units (particularly that Sammy, which seems better than the Bravo from what I've read) truly significantly better? Can someone quantify it or extrapolate some type of example to put it into perspective? I'm wondering if it is something where I would be able to tell the difference...and if DVI really would make the Sammy blow the DV-37 out of the water, considering that I already think the DV-37 produces awesome entertainment.

Thx,

Ross

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry...meant Chroma bug...I don't see it, but then I don't really know how to find it...mine may or may not exhibit it.

Ross

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
rpgoldberg:

There is no question that a DVI output DVD player will produce a better image on your DLP than any DVD player via a component connection. Go look at the Widescreen Review of the Bravo D1 for a discussion of the advantages of DVI, especially for DLP. Whether you choose the Bravo D1 or the Samsung 931 or the Momitsu or ... is not the issue, DVI output is the issue.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still deciding whether or not to subscribe but almost certainly will. One thing I can readily admit (and happily, I think!).

We got the new HLN467W Sammy set yesterday (the one with virtually no bezel). Using the dv-37 elite, I showed it to my wife both in 480p (using the built-in chip which was great at its time) and 480i (using the set's built-in Farjouda(sp?) chip. She NEVER can tell the difference in PQ, but it was INSTANTLY obvious...the Farjouda BLEW the dv-37's built-in progressive OUT OF THE WATER....night and day! Colors were dimmer and far less vibrant using the built-in player's chip. No contest.

Do those WS reviews cover or describe how much of a step up DVI is? If it is as big as an improvement as the Farj. vs. internal, then I'll order one today.

Ross

BTW, first impressions on the HLN467W...love it except two gripes...so far I've not found an audio out for the tv in (straight from cable)...perhaps because they did not intend it to be used that way. VCR does go into my stereo, of course.

Second, WEAK signal handling...I had to go directly from the wall to the tv, then from the tv to the VCR. The inverse was worse and using a noise filtration was worse than that. But once I found the strong catv signal, excellent...I haven't tweaked it yet and will need to do some, but it looks very good and since DVD is my primary PQ medium, I want to take advantage of that.

One more question----it has only one DVI input. So let's assume I get the Samsung (or Bravo or whatever) DVI DVD player...what happens when I get catv or dish with dvi capability? Are switchboxes or something in the works?

Thx,

Ross

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
rpgoldberg:

There are a couple of switches out there by Gefen but they are quite expensive. I assume there will be less expensive ones soon or receivers which handle DVI switching.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
rpgoldberg, Gefen has the switchbox you'll need.

I just got one from them yesterday. It had another product's power supply mistakenly substituted in the package; I called and asked for assistance, and they're rush-delivering the correct PS. I had already been very favorably impressed with their service, so I can heartily recommend them to anyone looking for this type of product.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.