AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a DVD player under $300 to serve as a 24/96 DAD transport to my dCS Delius, and as a DVD-V player for my Home Theatre. I don't care about DVD-A or SACD at this price point (unless it's a bonus), because it's not going to sound as good as my Cary/dCS at 16/44 (I know, I've listened) :(

I see remanufactured Pioneer DV-37's for about $300, and of course I could buy a new DV-656A for much less than that. I don't want to go over $300. Any suggestions? This will be used as a transport only, not using internal DACs...

Any thoughts/help/other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or maybe a lightly used NAD?

Thoughts, anyone? I am having a hard time finding any reviews of DVD-V player's performance with audio when playing DVD-V's. Lots about picture quality and CD sound... But someone out there has to be a DAD fan that can help :)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have a DV-37 and the thing is built like a tank. The unit I have is actually manufactured in Japan. The "Elite" stuff now is made anywhere but Japan. The DV-37 also has dual lasers if I'm not mistaken for faster CD access but it won't help in your case. I don't use it as a CD transport as I have a seperate / dedicated CD for that. The DV-37 has the infamous Chroma bug but I don't see it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My father actually has a DV-37, I can definitely attest to the build quality (I recall hooking it up for him a few years ago). I have only seen one movie on it, and I recall it looked excellent.

Can you comment on the sound quality while playing DVD's?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I use the coax digital output from the DV-37 feeding into a Bryston SP 1.7 and it sounds fantastic. I assume you will be using the digital outs in the same manner. If this is the case, all you need as a decent sounding pre pro or receiver. There are only stereo analog outputs in addition to the digital outputs. So if you want 5.1 surround you have to use the digital outputs feeding a SS processor / receiver. The sound will be largely determined by that unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that is exactly what I will be doing. I will be using both digital outs, the TOSLINK to my 5.1 A/V receiver, and the coax to my dCS Delius 24/192 DAC (which feeds into my McCormack RLD-1 pre) . I have my hifi and home theatre integrated in that my receiver powers the centre and rear channels, and sends pre out to my RLD-1. Sounds convoluted but makes sense when you see it :)

Anyway, I have a Sony NS400D (I think that's the model) DVD player right now, feeding both the A/V and dCS in the same manner as above (and set to output 24/96 with DAD material), and I'm not happy with it's performance. The Sony just doesn't dredge up enough detail off the discs, I actually get more detail out of my 16 bit front end (a Cary 308, which feeds the dCS, too).

So I'm looking for a DVD-V player that can get the detail, soundstaging, and warmth off those 24/96 DAD discs I listen to. I would hazard a guess that the DV-37 is probably as good or better at that than any of today's current DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD/MP3/VCD blah blah units. Would you concur? Some people say the new 656A is really good, but I think the older DV-37 Elite is probably better (a hunch) as a transport due to superior power supplies, shielding, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.