AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer for Pioneer won't sell the DV-47a for less than $999.00 + tax.

Found a place on line Sound Pros which will sell it for $735.00 brand new in box w/full warranty.

I called them and asked if they are authorized to sell Pioneer Elite over the 'net and they said no, but they have had no problems with defective returns. If something goes wrong with the unit while it's within the warranty period. Just send it back to them and they will send you a new one.

Has ne1 brought something from these guys?

What do you think about the price?

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
648 Posts
Me. I got my DV47A from SoundPros for the price you mentioned and guess what....

Its brand new, all original, no defects, no problems, works just dandy.

They were a little slow in getting it out and did not provide shipping confirmation until I called but they seem to be legit. I have no problems with my unit. As for the warranty, who cares. Most consumer electronics will make it 2 years no problem.

I don't work for SoundPros and in fact if you get ripped off don't come crying to me. Just relating my positive experience. Good Luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
I don't work for SoundPros and in fact if you get ripped off don't come crying to me. Just relating my positive experience.
Thanxz for the input and I wasn't looking for someone to blame (or cry to as you put it), what is basically my own decision, where I spend my money.

Just some information as I could not find any third party reviews on them elsewhere on the net.

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is where I got my 47A from and am very pleased. I think they were out of San Diego, and it only took 3 days to get to my doorstep. They were very fast to ship to me, and provided me with tracking information within 24 hours so that I could track it online.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. BTW what type of video source are you using (RPTV, Direct view, etc) and how is the DVD video quality?

Did you buy the 47A for the audio, video, or both?

Thanks in advance

Greg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JandR is in my neck of the woods I think, NY, so I would have to pay sales tax.

From what I've gotten from the others who have repsonded, I'm pretty confident about SoundPros now.

Would love to read more reviews on the player itself though.

Thanks for your reponse

Greg

·
Registered
648 Posts
Greg,

I do not have a HDTV yet so I can't comment on the progressive output. The interlaced output is as good as any DVD player I've seen short of maybe the Camelot. Resolution and color saturation are both good. Its nice to see that DVD technology has reached a point where folks are debating the finer points of performance. My player had a slight red push, that was easy enough to correct. According to most reports it has the chroma bug but I don't know how bad it is. You most likely are not going to notice it on a standard TV.

The CD audio performance for me is umm, just OK. Even playing with the upsampling, CD direct, and Hibit features has yet to yield overly exciting results. I think the Perpetual Tech does a much better job of upsampling redbook CDs. SACD performance is a step up from the CD as one would expect. One thing I've noticed is that the newer the material, the better performance gains you see with SACD. I will admit that sometimes the SACD can sound somewhat less than forgiving on certain material. Some recordings can leave you feeling a bit drained and ready to move on to something else. Maybe a longer break in period will tame the player's SACD performance a bit.

I own 4 DVD-Audio discs and so far, I perfer this player's DVD-Audio performance over that of CD or SACD. I think this is one place where the DV47A really shines. Too bad there are so few DVD-Audio discs available today. Navigating the menus in DVD-Audio can be a bit slow as the player lags a bit in responding to the remote control.

I'd say that it was a very worthwhile purchase considering the great price. I'm sure this player will have a place in my home theater for the next year or two and will make a GREAT downstairs player down the road. I really like the DVD-Audio and I'm hoping the SACD will tame a bit after some heavy usage. The reviews I read gave the player great scores on its deinterlacing. The chroma bug still haunts most DVD players and I for one, do not want to way yet another year or two in the hopes this will be fixed.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would agree with the prior post. I own one and it is in my bedroom system and will stay for a while. The DVD-A is excellent. The CD is very good and the SACD is what one would expect from an entry level player. The build quality is not that great and I stuck 2 Bright Star stick on little feet ($12.50 for a set of 4) underneath the Pioneer's feet and that helped a lot, especially with CDs. DH cones work well too. I also put a real power cord on it vs. the $3.99 one they give you.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Makes me wonder what Dan Wright could do with the SACD output....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guys;

The main reason for getting this player is to go with my new

Pioneer SD-643HD5 .

I wanted better DVD video performance than my current SD-3109 gives. which is not bad, but I feel that it doesn't do my new RPTV justice.

That model plays HDCD and I can't recall ever findng more than a few CD's in that format anyway. So I guess if the video is up to spec then the audio is a plus.

All your replys have been very helpful in my evaluation.

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
Makes me wonder what Dan Wright could do with the SACD output....
well, i can tell you that he can work wonders with a Sony DVP-S9000ES... so as a result i'll be sending him my 47A when he starts modding those. :D

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
Do we know for sure on these universal players that the DSD decoding and DA conversion stays true to form or is it washed through the same PCM chips as DVD-Audio?

That would negate the advantages of SACD, and perhaps that's why the DVD-Audio performance sounds better than SACD when most people with separate SACD and DVD-Audio players and quality audio systems think the opposite is true.

Dan

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
Do we know for sure on these universal players that the DSD decoding and DA conversion stays true to form or is it washed through the same PCM chips as DVD-Audio?
of the three universal players released so far, only one (Pioneer DV-AX10) has converted the DSD to PCM prior to playback... the other two (Apex AD-7701 and Pioneer DV-47A) use Sony boards with DSD decoders for SACD playback.

interestingly enough, the most expensive SACD player on the market (Accuphase DP-100 & DC-101 combo) converts DSD to PCM for playback...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.