AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to redo my computer due to a crash. Reloaded DV archive. It can't see either replay.

Replays upgrade OK over the network.

Replays talk to each other.

Computer OK with network.

Computers see each other.

Router and firewall programmed to trust entire range of IP addresses.

What is left???

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right Java installed. DVA won't even start if it isn't

upnp???

Does anyone know of a detailed step by step to change from DCHP to static IP?

Does the entire home network need to be done that way?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'd double-check your firewalls. Common ones like Zone Alarms, McAfee and (of course) the one that comes with Windows XP SP2 can easily cause you problems. I'd just turn them off, at least temperarily to see if that fixes your problem.

As far as UPNP, DVArchive can easily start without it. You can even disable it in DVArchive's properties (although I have no idea why you would). Check to make sure it's enabled in your router as well. Also, while in the DVArchive properties, go to server and click the reset button. This will generate a new serial number and UUID for DVArchive.

As far as going to static IP addresses, are you running XP or some other operating system? Also, what kind of router are you running?

Finally, have you gone through the DVArchive FAQs for troubleshooting? It is very detailed and typically fixes most problems. There are also some troubleshooting steps found on the DVArchive forum which are very very helpful.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Smells a lot like a new firewall being turned on. That is the problem in excess of 90% of the time.

DVA doesn't not know about any O/S UPnP or need it. So you do NOT need to be running any UPnP service on your computer to use DVA and have it correctly find your ReplayTVs via UPnP (DVA and WinXP UPnP are separate things).

Also, you do not need UPnP on the router either. That generally only allows the router to be discovered by other devices on the network. It doesn't cause the DVA UPnP stuff to be passed/blocked/etc.

In short, DVA can work with any of these or other UPnP services concurrently, but does not need or use any of them.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only firewall is Zone Alarm, configured th "trust" replay addresses.

Wierd in that evrything else abou the network works normally except DVA.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaxel
Only firewall is Zone Alarm, configured th "trust" replay addresses.

Wierd in that evrything else abou the network works normally except DVA.
Uh-oh - now it's starting to affect your spelling, too! :)

Aside from that, and maybe I'm just being stubborn, but I kept checking your replies to see if you actually turned your firewall 'OFF', not just reconfigured it to trust addresses, as others have repeatedly suggested. It's a minor, first thing to try, that did help me out when I had the same problem.

BTW, I don't recall reading your operating system - you do know that XP has it's own built-in firewall too, don't you?

Dave

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. Stupid me. Turned the firewall (Zone Alarm) OFF and both DVR appeared.

Windows Firewall NEVER has been enabled.

But I still don't know why or what to do about it, as the DVR addresses are trusted, and supposedly not blocked.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
As for other apps working for DVA -- are other apps UPnP based? If not (and it's likely they are not), it's not really a fair comparison (that is, to suggest DVA is somehow an instigator of the problems). This is entirely about UPnP problems. If you tried to manually open the ReplayTV (File->Open DVR), it would have worked fine. Just discovery was out and that was because you're running ZoneAlarm.

UPnP operates on a broadcast address and that is not the same as the IP addresses of each ReplayTV (specially, 239.255.255.250, multi-cast on port 1900). You could try exempting that, though frankly, I think you're better off without ZoneAlarm (it's responsible for tons of problems and doesn't seem to do a lot more than a good hardware router/firewall does).

And yes, in case the above isn't clear, I thoroughly *despise* ZoneAlarm. It's been responsible for more cases of support where folks swear up and down it can't be ZoneAlarm (or don't tell me about it) and in the end, after painstaking attempts to make suggestions and help, it always turns out to actually be a ZoneAlarm problem. Triple Bleah! :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know a lot more about this than I do. Will the combination of the Windows firewall and the capabiltites of the Linksys BEFW11S4 router protect me?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Also, I recently found out that if you install the full version of Nero which includes the Nero Net server program it will interfere with DV Archive since it also runs on port 80. Do not install Nero Net, or set it to run on a different port then port 80.

Unfortunatley when you install Nero Net, neither Nero Net nor DV Archive will report the conflict, which will in turn leaving you scratching your head for weeks. Not only will neither report a conflict, but DV Archive will work intermittantly, it may open your Replay TV's it may not. It may let you download one show, but not the next. It's very confusing.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked at my Nero installation and don't see anything called "Nero Net". Is that the only name it goes by? My Nero came with my Sony DVD burner.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdementia
Unfortunatley when you install Nero Net, neither Nero Net nor DV Archive will report the conflict, which will in turn leaving you scratching your head for weeks. Not only will neither report a conflict, but DV Archive will work intermittantly, it may open your Replay TV's it may not. It may let you download one show, but not the next. It's very confusing.
Huh?

If Nero is using port 80, then when DVA starts, it won't be able to (the port will be in use) and as long as you have DVA set to start the server automatically (the default), you'll get an error message saying something else has the port open (or it's a permission error). After that error, DVA will not use the port unless you manually try to restart the server (clicking the red light in the lower right of the DVA screen). You should not get intermitten operation -- either it gets port 80 and owns it (and should always work, baring complications from things like ZoneAlarm or other items) or it should fail and give an error (if you do not have the server set to start when DVA starts, you'll get no error (because it didn't try to grab the port), but you will if you later start it.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaxel
You know a lot more about this than I do. Will the combination of the Windows firewall and the capabiltites of the Linksys BEFW11S4 router protect me?
I use a simple DSL router/firewall (DLink, I think) and it's really all I feel I need. Some folks do worry about what happens if they get a virus in the house and trying to contain it, which is why things like ZoneAlarm and Windows Firewall may be useful.

Really, you have to decide based on what you want to accomplish. There is no 100% secure way to have a network attached to the internet, so you are always taking some risk. The key is to balance risk against the costs and decide what you can live with.

We've never had a virus get loose in the house. Most machines are linux, but for those using the Windows machines, everyone knows not to download unqualified programs or click on any attachment unless you know what it is. That and a firewall/router does us well.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I now have Windows Firewall, the router and Norton anti virus. Never got any errors, just couldn't find the replays. Now they still don't come up automatically, but I still can acquire manually (if i can keep up with the address changes!).

Thanks Gerry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.