AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my problem is that when I try to download a few shows from my RTV to my DVArchive, my mobo "loses" my HD and I have to shut own the computer to make it visible again.

I'm using DVarchive 3.2, downloading from a 5000 series RTV. I've twice tried to DL three shows at a time, and when I come back to the computer, DVArchive give me a message that it cannot find DVARchive.xml, and that the shows it was saving may be corrupt. The HD is not visible in Windows, and does not appear on the POST screen either if I just reboot. I must turn off the computer and let it sit. When I start the computer again, the HD is visible and all is well. The mobo is a gigabyte 965P-DS3, the HD is a WD 500GB SATA, with two gigs of Crucial memory, running under XP SP2. Failsafe options in the BIOS.

Is DVArchive choking on a large HD, or do I most likely have a flaky mobo?

spencercat

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Try two shows and see what happens.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Use speedfan and see if your PC is overheating. It's the only explanation (that I can think of) that would explain why "letting it sit" would cause it to work correctly. Additionally, the extra I/O for DVArchive might be the reason it overheated to begin with.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sorry -- there is absolutely no way DVA could be causing this -- at least not directly. It runs ontop of Java which then runs ontop of Windows. There is no way to get to the low-level APIs you'd need to cause any real problems.

I suspect you either have a bad HD (which could "go away" under load and show up again after a power cycle), a bad HDD IDE interface (you could try using an add-on PCI IDE controller) or something on the mobo.

Gerry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nded - You are correct, I think. I've had more than this one problem with this mobo/setup. Since I repeated it I thought I'd ask here.

Shane - downloads are at the default speed, which is I think 650 kbps.

Creech: thanks for the suggestion.

zimdba - I'm running the cpu fan all the time, and have the temp warning set for 60 degrees C. Never a problem.

Gerry - Thanks for your suggestions, which I will try. I agree that it's not DVA, but since it happened twice. . . Oh, and thanks for a great program.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.