AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed a Sony Digital Camcorder that had the option to record in 16x9 format. Playing this through my TV's analog inputs fills the 16x9 screen completely (cool!), but when I use the Firewire cable to the PC, it looks like the options using MS Movie Maker only allow 4x3 NTSC. Ideally, I'd like to get the video over onto a DVD in a letterbox format (can I make it anamorphic?).

I'm also running into some freezes (capturing stops, but video keeps playing in cam), and the camera disconnects from the PC occasionally when transfering the video.

This is my first stab at creating my own videos. Does anyone got any tips or links to some good places to get info on creating video clips from a digital camcorder?

Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Haven't tried it myself with 16x9, but I do know some capture programs ignore the aspect flag in the stream.

I do use Scenalyzer from http://www.scenalyzer.com/ for ALL of my captures. It is inexpensive, well regarded and recommended by me personally although I have no connection other than a satisfied owner.

From other posts I believe it will handle your issue.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ has a lot of tips on capture, edit and authoring.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Scenalyzer looks like a pretty cool little capture program. I DL'd the trial and it seems to work better than WMM, but I'm still losing connection to the camera after a few minutes (I'm trying to capture 20-30 minute clips). BTW - Do you know which output file option would be best to do a DVD transfer?

Off to look for an updated camera driver...

·
Registered
850 Posts
I shoot in 16X9 on my Sony camcorder, capture with scenalyzer, and create the disc using TMPGENC and TMPGENC Author. With the TMPGENC products, you select both the source and output aspect ratios.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys! Also, FYI, I think I fixed my connection problem with a new Monster Firewire cable. The one I orginally bought was a Belkin. That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.