Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

Does the override IP setting on the Server tab of the DVArchive Properties screen do anything other than control which IP the system answers to? IE: My one system (with 1 nic and a private address) is able to be seen by my 2 RTV's, but my other system is able to see them but not be seen by them. I would guess it is sending its uPNP packets out the other interface, but don't know what, exactly, to look for in its log.

I guess the overall question is if there is a way to bind DVArchive to a NIC so it sends its broadcasts that way?

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have setup DVarchive on my linux server to only operate one one of my NIC's... the other NIC responds to requests on port80 too, so I had to separate them... So yes, it can be configured to work that way...

My box is set up so that 192.168.0.2 is the NIC with Apache running on it. The other NIC runs on 192.168.0.3 and has DV archive running.

Before I set it up like this, I couldn't get DVarchive to serve... I think there is supposed to be a way to actually have one physical NIC to respond differently based on which IP address is requested... but I took the easy route and just added another NIC.

If you have any trouble, post more details about your system, OS, etc...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WinNT 4.0 acting as firewall, internal NIC has the address I'm using for DVArchive and responds to another DVArchive system when I tell it to connect to the NT system DVArchive by IP. No other service running on port 80.

Basically, it looks like it is sending the UPNP packets with the external IP (out the external interface) which leaves the RTVs unable to see it even though it can connect to them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hmm... thiat sounds odd. Let me make sure I have your problem straight then...

You have an NT server that runs a firewall for the rest of your LAN. The server can see other computers on the LAN running DVArhive and can download from them. But the other computer can't 'see' the server? And the server only connects to the other coomputer when you specify the otehr compyer's IP?

If that's the case, I;d probably say double check the setting in DV arvice to make sure you have the internal IP address right (I'm quite sure you probably do)... and then make sure to click the button a little lower in the same window... I can;t remember what it says right now, but it right next to a field that has some long alphanumber string....

then stop and restart DV archive...and check the log for errors... and see if other's can see it... if not, and there are not log entries, you may have a problem in the ip rules for the firewall that prevent the server from transmitting to the lan on port 80....

Hope it helps, but there others with much more experience than me... it's my best quick shot...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't notice your response until now. . .

Rules: It has full access rights in both directions.

Odd note though, after a hard reboot on my 4504, it actually showed the firewall DVArchive in its list. It disappeared later, but it would appear that the system responds to uPNP packets it receives, but is not broadcasting the way it should (I'm guessing here). I'll try clicking that button you mentioned.

Thank you for the input and suggestions.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have Mandrake Linux with 2 Nics.

DVArchive can see my other RTVs but other RTVs can't see it.

How to bind DVArchive to one interface?

·
Registered
228 Posts
It still seems like it might be a firewall related thing... I have the exact same setup.. one NIC for the net, and one for internal use.... except my server doesn't run as a firewall... and it works fine... It just responds to outside requests (forward from a router) on one NIC... and the other nic is decidated to nothing but DVarchive and internal ftp requests (sometimes samba)

I understand your point about rights in bothdirections... I am thinkng it might be a forwarding issue... When you set up the 'server' as a firewall a whole list of rules are created that govern how the server forwards ports between the net and your lan... I wonder if there is something in the forwarding rules that's causing your problem.... since your on NT, I can;t help much with how to access and change them....

My only suggestion is to buy a router and let it handle the port forwarding... unless your really worried about security... though in that case, you may have a lot of reading ahead of you to get NT more secure than many cheap hardware firewalls... routers seem to go for under $50 these days...and in many case below $30....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.