AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using rtvedit to trim the ads from my archived shows, and then I import the result back into DVA. (Sequence is 1. rtvedit 2. export show (all files + delete) 3. copy/rename xml file to match new mpg/evt/ndx 4. edit xml for time 5. import new show files 6. delete orig mpg/evt/ndx if all went well)

The only problem I have is as follows: Sometimes (most times?) the first attempt to stream the edited show to my 5040 will lock up the replay. It does not reboot, but just sits at the "Please Wait ..." graphic (possibly forever). On the DVA side, it shows a single served show (the ndx file) with a file size of -21040B (for example; the number varies by attempt, but the '-' and 'B' are constant). The Event Log shows the following (20+ identical entries per second):

09/01 11:58:55 ERROR: Error serving file to client -- Invalid argument

Restarting both DVA and the Replay results in successfully streaming the show on the next try.

I've come up with two possible causes of this: the show length or the GOP Count as stored by DVA in the xml file. I don't think it is the time, as I have tried changing this to an appropriate value before doing the import.

What about the GOP Count (obviously the original number won't match the new edited mpg)? Was this calculated by the ReplayTV or by DVA? Can I just delete the token from the exported xml file?

Finally, is anyone else seeing this, or am I just lucky?

PS. v3.0 feature request: Gerry, is there any chance the DVArchive.xml file could get some line breaks in the future? :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hmm. That seems like an awful lot of trouble to export/import. :rolleyes: Here's what I've been doing:

1) Download show to DVArchive off Replay (or import if it's from another source).

2) Rename the original files .mpg/.ndx/.evt (add a 0 at the start or end).

3) Run rtvedit - use the T line with the original file name.

4) Stream the show entry that's already in the guide (from step 1).

5) Repeat 3 and 4 if I don't like the edit points.

6) Update the final program time using DVArchive (no xml editing needed).

7) Delete the original (renamed) files.

No need to export/import and I've never had a problem streaming this way. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a valid point. However, up until Rev3 of the toolkit, the pc which hosts the Local_Guide directory was unable to run rtvedit (thanks Lee + anonymous :) ). Thus I was using rtvedit on a WinXP box and reading the mpg files from a network share. I felt it was safer to direct the 'T' switch to a file on the local hard disk.

Anyway, I originally was moving the edited files into the Local_Guide directory without any import or export, but I ran into this problem with streaming so I tried the method outlined above. I do have a rather convoluted setup regarding DVA and network storage paths. The PC running DVA mounts its Local_Guide and Import paths over NFS.

Quote:
No need to export/import and I've never had a problem streaming this way.
Like I said, I'm probably just lucky :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.