Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just started playing with DVA for my two new replays. I was wondering if anyone has experimented with running this as a service?

I have a server I use for DVA, but I'd rather not keep a user logged in all the time to do my auto backups.

Anyone using fire dameon, or something similar?

Thanks,

-S

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Not sure if that would work - DVarchive is not w32 application , it's a JAVA. I'm not sure if you can use the 'install service' utility (instsrv? if I recall) - to install something thats not an EXE. Even if you can, not sure if the system will handle it properly.

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
scotts,

only problem I found with running DVA as a service is that if/when I need to get to the DVA GUI, I have to stop the service and start DVA as an app... and then restart the service when I'm done...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jovie
scotts,

only problem I found with running DVA as a service is that if/when I need to get to the DVA GUI, I have to stop the service and start DVA as an app... and then restart the service when I'm done...
can't you configure it to run 'interactive'? not familiar with firedaemon, but if you install a service on NT/w2k you have that option.

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
there was a checkbox to start it interactive, however, I had some problems starting the javaw.exe (why I used java.exe instead), but I cannot get to the GUI, unfortunately

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by antibody128
I think Gerry has asked that this possible use of DVarchive not be openly discussed on this forum.
In terms of running DVA as a service, I think there may be technical problems, but I really can't muster any other reason not to do it.

I think you may be confusing my recent and profuse comments about using DVA for extra-LAN show sharing instead :)

I didn't see any mention of that in this thread though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jovie
scotts,

You could create a batch file that stops the service, launches DV Archive in app mode, then re-launches the service when you close the app mode. Something like.....
Code:
Code:
net stop "name of dv archive service"
ping localhost
c:\\path\\dv archive shortcut info
ping localhost
net start "name of dv archive service"
This would stop the service, use a ping command as a poor man's sleep, then launch the app. Once you close the app, the service would restart again using a ping command to give the app time to shut itself all the way down.

I'm at work so I can't test this and also don't have it running as a service but I'm pretty sure if you copy/paste the shortcut info into the shortcut name line this would work. I've used it in similar situations to manipulate files that a service keeps locked. Good luck and let me know if this works for you.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.