Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a reinstall of my OS.

I had copied my Local & Import Guide Paths to another drive.

So I load DVArchive on the fresh OS and point it to my backed-up data, but it fails to list any of the shows. Looking at some of the FAQs, I noticed a mention of the DVArchive.xml file. However, I did not back this file up.

How can I get DVArchive to show all my saved shows? Is it even possible w/o the original DVArchive.xml file?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Copy all the files from Local_guide directory to a temporary one.

Use the import function to get them back into the DVarchive.

Problem 1 - you'll have to add show information for each and every show.

Checkpoint 1 - make sure you select 'remove files after import' option.

That ought to do it!

John

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I had discovered that I could import the shows after I posted my question, and adding the show info. is just a minor inconvenience.

Out of curiousity, would I have been able to see all the shows if I had backed up that original DVArchive.xml file?

Oh well, lesson learned.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
YES!! I backup my xml file daily to another computer in my home network.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You know, I put the need to backup the DVArchive,xml at the top of each new version announcement, in the CHANGELOG.txt, in the README.txt and the FAQs.

I feel bad at the number of times folks seem to lose their DVArchive.xml, but honestly, I can't think of too many other ways to notify folks.

In V3, DVA also puts a backup copy of DVArchive.xml into each Local_Guide directory you have since folks do seem to remember to back those directories up.

I'm thinking of adding a big honking dialog that tells people to do this to DVA as well.

:-(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Gerry - how about a .xml file for each show in the same way each show has an .evt, .ndx, and .mpg? That would make moving shows really easy and obvious to the end user, just move all of the data files associated with it. Importing a show would be just a matter of copying it into local_guide.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DiverDan
Gerry - how about a .xml file for each show in the same way each show has an .evt, .ndx, and .mpg? That would make moving shows really easy and obvious to the end user, just move all of the data files associated with it. Importing a show would be just a matter of copying it into local_guide.
V3 already does this (and it was a *major* piece of work). However, folks still need to back those files and the DVArchive.xml up. There is only so much I can do programtically....

·
Registered
1 Posts
First of all, let me say that I think DVArchive is one of the absolutely coolest projects I've ever seen on the web. replayTv should be writing you checks every month Jerry because of the number of people that choose Replay tv just because they can use DVArchive.

ANyway, I'm one of the doafs that frequently loses my xml file (twice). Having been through the pain of importing all my shows manually, I think it would be really helpfull if there was a way to import shows in batch mode. The show name and episode title are already included in the file name so it seems that DVArchive could parse out the neccesary show info automatically without me having to hand type the info. It could at least pre-populate the boxes with what it thinks the right info may be.

Also, my file name gets cut off on the Recreate Missing Guide Info dialog box. It makes the manual process of entereing the info that much harder because I can't read the episode title part of the file name.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.