AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw DVArchive demo'd on "The Screen Savers" program on TechTV. They did a nice job of touching the highlights by demoing downloading, streaming to a PC, and streaming to a ReplayTV box. They also mentioned the ability to burn to DVD.

Unfortunatly, Gerry didn't get any credit. DVArchive was described as "a SourceForge Open Source project." But we all know who gets all the credit! Kuddos, Gerry!!!!!

BTW, it will be replaying a couple times over the next day or so.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If they were worried about possible problems from that segment they would not do alot of their segments. All last week was Xbox mods. I was glad to see that Leo was seemed suprised about the possibilities out of the box without mods. He made his Tivo do similiar things but had to do alot of mods. Also was happy that I did not see much of a negative spin as a I expected. I thought they would push the Sonic Blue downfall.

--Edit...Made an interesting typo. I typed "Sonic Blues downfall".

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, the segment was pretty good for a TV show. I think they gave the appropriate warnings about buying a ReplayTV unit right now. I was also surprised they did those XBox mods. It's good to see they are starting to do more interesting things.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayJanitor
if i were him i wouldn't want to be publicly credited for DVA. i hope the network bosses weren't looking.
Yeah, I was thinking while it was playing that this could potentially be a very bad thing for DVA and Gerry. I don't think that The Screensavers did us any favor here.

The networks have very deep pockets and I'm sure that the mere threat of a lawsuit would prompt Gerry to pull the whole project. I certainly wouldn't want to get embroiled in a huge lawsuit, even if I could win, over a free application. Defending himelf would cost a mint.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It was interesting.

I mean, Leo has always been anti-ReplayTV. Just about every time he's mentioned it in the past, he's gone out of the way to say that "it isn't hackable like the TiVo."

During the segment, he refered to the ReplayTV as "the TiVo" several times. It was very gratifying when he said that he had to hack the crap out of his TiVo to get it to do those same things.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
if i were him i wouldn't want to be publicly credited for DVA. i hope the network bosses weren't looking.
You would have to assume that the MPAA & Gang were dead stupid to not have heard of DVArchive, and know who (primarily) wrote it.

While they may _act_ stupid, and say stupid things, you can usually attribute that to blind greed, not actual lack of intelligence.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Once the dust has died down and he can comment, I for one will be VERY interested to hear to what extent questions about DVA featured in jleavens interog^H^H^H^H^H^H deposition...

the aba duck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.