AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i export a show and i include the Index and Guide files (as the dialog box recommends for later importing to DVA). i then try to import it but DVA makes me name the file and enter all the descriptive info. huh? why won't it use the .xml file it generated that contains all that info? the Import dialog box shows only *.mpg files so i can't select the .xml file, and i tried dragging/dropping it to no avail. how can i get it to use the .xml file for descriptive info? (yes, i looked at the README in the Import/Export sections and they are empty.)

the reason i am exporting/importing is that DVA does not "dynamically scans the listed storage directory for it's files" as the online FAQ claims it does. if i could get that to work, i wouldn't screw with the export/import. if does it work for others?

also, when i try to export, DVA is really picky about where it will write the file. i'm running XP Home (single-user so i have all admin privs) and i tried Shared Docs\\Shared Videos, no go; Shared Docs, no go; C:\\, no go. i finally got it to write to the root of D: (note that DVA is installed on a deep subdirectory of the D: drive). is there some trick to getting it to write where i want it to write?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenLantern
i export a show and i include the Index and Guide files (as the dialog box recommends for later importing to DVA). i then try to import it but DVA makes me name the file and enter all the descriptive info. huh?
Are all the files that make up the show in the same place? In other words, the .ndx, .mpg, .xml and .evt (if this is from a 5xxx series) all need to have the same name and be in the same directory.

Quote:
the reason i am exporting/importing is that DVA does not "dynamically scans the listed storage directory for it's files" as the online FAQ claims it
Actually, it very much does. But that is for finding *files* that make up shows, not the shows themselves.

DVA has an internal directory of shows with all the attributes about a show (title, date description, etc). Those items are not available in ther .mpg/.ndx/.evt files. You can move the .mpg/.ndx/evt files around anywhere in any directory DVA has listed as a storage directory and DVA will find them. That is what the "dynamically scans for files" does.

Quote:
also, when i try to export, DVA is really picky about where it will write the file. i'm running XP Home (single-user so i have all admin privs)
The only thing DVA checks for is that the output directory is writable. It has no other specific knowledge of your file system. If DVA complains it cannot write a file, there is usually a good reason (permissions, read/only directory, read/only file systems, etc).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
Are all the files that make up the show in the same place? In other words, the .ndx, .mpg, .xml and .evt (if this is from a 5xxx series) all need to have the same name and be in the same directory.
yes. i either move them manually (with no .xml file) or rely on the output of an export which puts all files (including .xml) into the same directory with the same name. (it is a 5000 series.)
Quote:
Actually, it very much does [dynamically scan the listed storage directory for its files]. But that is for finding *files* that make up shows, not the shows themselves.
i didn't understand that. i thought it would find the files and (re)create a show entry in the "DVR Explorer" window.
Quote:
The only thing DVA checks for is that the output directory is writable. ...
strange. i don't know how i could have made any directories unwritable, but i'll see what i can figure out.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:

i thought it would find the files and (re)create a show entry in the "DVR Explorer" window
Problem is there is no info for them to find in the .ndx, .evt and .mpg files. At best, DVA could try to parse the file names if the files are named after the show, but files can be named using other parts and info so that wouldn't be reliable.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Problem is there is no info for them to find in the .ndx, .evt and .mpg files. At best, DVA could try to parse the file names if the files are named after the show, but files can be named using other parts and info so that wouldn't be reliable.
okay, i got that, but if there is a .xml file created by the export operation, can't the import operation use that to create a show entry in the "DVR Explorer" window?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
okay, i got that, but if there is a .xml file created by the export operation, can't the import operation use that to create a show entry in the "DVR Explorer" window?
Yep - that is what the Import operation does. It reads the XML data into the show listing database, moves/copies the files into an available storage directory and refreshes the list of shows.

Some of this will change in V3.0

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm sorry, i'm not explaining this well. here's what i do.
  1. export a show--with .xml file--to a tmp directory
  2. uninstall DVA
  3. reinstall DVA
  4. manually move the files from tmp to the current local guide dir or add the tmp dir to the storage paths as an additional local guide dir [/list=1]the "DVR Explorer" window does not display an entry for the show. shouldn't at least one of the options in step 4 cause DVA's dynamic scan to see the .xml and create a show entry in the internal database?

because of the weird way i use this PC, i often uninstall and reinstall DVA and i am hoping there is a way to easily recognize shows that are laying around, without having to go thru a long import operation.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You need one more step:

5. Import the show back into DVArchive.

Maybe 3.0 will do what you want with 1-4 above, but with 2.1 you need to import the show again to get DVArchive to read the XML and put it into it's database of shows.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JimWCB
You need one more step:

5. Import the show back into DVArchive....
okay, then that's what i'll do. it's a little bit painful since DVA actually copies the files which is a lot of gigs to be moving around, but at least that will preserve the show info in the .xml file.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey I have a problem, when I try to stream a show from my replay to my PC, I get voice but I do not get Video. I have tried Divx player and Windows media player. Any suggestions gduprey.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:

because of the weird way i use this PC, i often uninstall and reinstall DVA and i am hoping there is a way to easily
Why are you deinstalling and reinstalling DVA? It doesn't do anything to do so. DVA is a java application and doesn't install anything into your registry or system files or anything else. In essence, installing and deinstalling DVArchive is as simple as deleting and recopying DVArchive.jar in. Unless that file gets corrupted, deinstalling and reinstalling doesn't do anything.

Also: deinstalling DVArchive (using the control panels add/remove programs utility) will not delete the DVArchive.xml file that DVA keeps it's show listing in. If you are simply running the the deinstaller, it'll leave that file around. If you then manually delete the directory DVA was installed in before reinstalling, then you'd certainly need to do something to preserve shows.

Quote:
the "DVR Explorer" window does not display an entry for the show. shouldn't at least one of the options in step 4 cause DVA's dynamic scan to see the .xml and create a show entry in the internal database?
Yes - it's called Import. While I understand it's not doing exactly what you want, I'm not sure I understand why you do not seem to want to accept that is what it does? What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
okay, then that's what i'll do. it's a little bit painful since DVA actually copies the files which is a lot of gigs to be moving around, but at least that will preserve the show info in the .xml file.
Please read the online FAQ for DVArchive. There are ways to keep your files in certain places that can make a full export and import cycle complete in just a few seconds and lets DVA *move* files (almost insantaneous) vs copying (very time consuming).

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cocapepsi
Hey I have a problem, when I try to stream a show from my replay to my PC, I get voice but I do not get Video. I have tried Divx player and Windows media player. Any suggestions gduprey.
It's generally better to start a new post for a new problem. As the problem you are describing is unrelated to the import/export subject of this thread, you'll generally get a better response with a new thread so that people who know about this or have experience with it will be more likely to check the thread out (vs skipping a thread mentioning a subject that may not interest them).

In short, this is covered in quite a number of threads on this board already (using the search function will help) and there are several entries about this in the DVA Online FAQ

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Why are you deinstalling and reinstalling DVA?
i completely reinstall my system every 30 days. DVA just happens to go along for the ride.
Quote:
Yes - it's called Import. ... I'm not sure I understand why you do not seem to want to accept that is what it does? What am I missing?
my one-track mind.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Please read the online FAQ for DVArchive. There are ways to keep your files in certain places that can make a full export and import cycle complete in just a few seconds and lets DVA *move* files (almost insantaneous) vs copying (very time consuming).
perhaps this info could be added to the README, in the sections specifically listed for those topics? i'd be happy to do it, how does one go about messing with the files?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
perhaps this info could be added to the README, in the sections specifically listed for those topics? i'd be happy to do it, how does one go about messing with the files?
I beleive I'm actually going to retire the README.txt. Besides the tediousness of it and the "everything in one big lump" format of it, it's also unable to be updated in real time as things change. The online FAQ is going to be where I put my work in the future as it can grow and change to reflrect the most current issues, solutions, etc that folks run into.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
i tried dragging/dropping it to no avail.
I just added a new DVA server and was able to drag/drop shows from my old server to the new one. Seemed a lot easier than import/export.

What was it that didn't work for you?

And assuming drag-n-drop works as expected, what would be the purpose of import/export in any case?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jrgreenman
I just added a new DVA server and was able to drag/drop shows from my old server to the new one. ... What was it that didn't work for you?
i had a single instance of DVA into which i tried to drag a .mpg and/or .xml file (that had been created using export). at least, i think that's what i did, i got confused over all the different things i tried. i'm kinda slow sometimes and i still don't have a good mental model of DVA storage/show management so i just gave up. i'll just export/import and copy tens of gigs around once a month.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
i know this isn't going to win me any friends, but i'm not really trying to be difficult, i'm just drawn that way.

i believe i have been all over the online FAQ and i cannot see anything that tells how to move vs copy. it does mention that there is a difference, but never says how to accomplish one over the other. (if the FAQ does describe how to do this, please point it out to me! i'm not trying to have someone else do my research, i just honestly cannot find the instructions to move vs copy.)

so i took the plunge and tried checking the "Delete these files..." on the dialog boxes for Import/Export. kinda scary so i made backups, but in fact it appears that requesting the deletion is what triggers the move rather than the copy. and if files are on the same disk, just moving some directory pointers is lightning fast.

by the way, for consistency, could the same "Delete these files..." option be added to the operation for deleting a show from the "DVR Explorer" window? it doesn't seem unreasonable that if i am deleting a show from DVA then i want the associated files to be removed as well. leaving them behind can be the default (as it is now), but having an option to remove them would be useful... to me, at least.

so i guess i finally have a reasonable mental model of DVA show storage/management. it will probably all change in ver 3 and i can have another chance to be annoying.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
when i try to export, DVA is really picky about where it will write the file. ...
Quote:
The only thing DVA checks for is that the output directory is writable. ... If DVA complains it cannot write a file, there is usually a good reason (permissions, read/only directory, read/only file systems, etc).
of course you're totally right. i just discovered that some of my directories are marked as read-only yet they allow write access to some programs like NotePad.

can any WinXPHome users explain why some apps (e.g. NotePad) can write to a read-only directory? and why can i not unset a directory's Read-Only flag in Windows property sheet GUI--it always comes back with a green dot in the Read-Only box-- but i can unset it using cmd prompt "attrib"?

hmmm... maybe i've got a bigger problem--every directory's property sheet shows Read-Only being set, when it's obviously not true for every directory. cmd "dir /ar" shows correct read-only status. weird.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.