AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 4504 , my windows2k system is 100% synced with the us-navys atomic clock ( i synced it 2 mins before opening dvarchive ) .. the dvarchive version i have is 1.1a ( d/led it today ) ... java ver j2re-1_4_1_01-windows .... 100MB eathernet through a switch

ok i start to get my program ... it finds the replay no problem .. it starts to d/l the show also without a problem ( 1.32MB/s ).. about 40% of d/l .. it dies with a pop up saying

"failed to copy entire file"

here is my log

12/03 16:11:19 Notice: Encryption required for Office; checking time...

12/03 16:11:20 Notice: No timestamp offset needed for Office

12/03 16:11:20 Notice: DVArchive is recognizing a ReplayTV DVR named Office at 64.0.107.241:80

12/03 16:20:40 DVArchive has started listening to the network associated with 64.0.107.243

12/03 16:20:40 DVArchive has sent a request that all DVRs identify themselves

12/03 16:20:40 DVArchive has received a request that ALL DVRs identify themselves - responding

12/03 16:20:46 Notice: DVArchive is recognizing a ReplayTV DVR named Office at 64.0.107.241:80

12/03 17:02:05 ERROR: Download of Taken - Beyond the Sky (MPEG Video) from Office failed -- Failed to copy entire file

12/03 17:06:34 DVR at http://192.168.0.73/Device_Descr.xml has announced it's going offline - removing it from DVArchive

12/03 17:06:34 DVR at http://192.168.0.73/Device_Descr.xml has announced it's going offline - removing it from DVArchive

12/03 17:06:59 DVR at http://64.0.107.241/Device_Descr.xml has announced it's going offline - removing it from DVArchive

12/03 17:06:59 DVR at http://64.0.107.241/Device_Descr.xml has announced it's going offline - removing it from DVArchive

12/03 17:06:59 Notice: DVArchive is recognizing a ReplayTV DVR named Office at 64.0.107.241:80

where is it finding 192.168.0.73 !?! .. i do not use a 192 on my lan ( i use a 10. ) ... why is my replay going offline?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well, it's probably not related to the IP address issue, but you might try going to java version 1.4.0, instead of 1.4.1. That solved some problems for me.

If you are using DHCP, try switching to fixed IP addresses; there is a known bug in the Replays related to DHCP.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I too am having DVArchive problems. I have a P4 2.53 ghz machine. XP Home. I have the latest Java. How can I install an older Java version. Here is what is listed in my add/remove software list:

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.1_01

Java 2 SDK, SE v1.4.1_01

Java Web Start

Basically, the problem is worst during streaming. After a show is over or if I want to switch shows, DVArchive, Windows Media Player/WinDVD and/or my Bedroom Replay Freezes. Have to ctrl-alt-del several times and it still hangs for a long time. Disk acesses like crazy during all of this. Any idea what is the best procedure for stopping or switching shows without DVArchive crashing? Does anyone think the solution is as simple as going to an older version of Java? If so, can someone tell me EXACTLY what I need to uninstall and reinstall? My kid gets really upset when Bob the Builder hangs! :) Oh, and I just installed a brand new Linksys 10/100 SWITCH today (upgraded from an older 10/100 hub). Haven't tested it yet, but the streaming seemed to work well enough before. I can d/l shows at about 600Kbps - close to the max, no?

Also, any thoughts on the BEST player for streaming video? On this box, it seems that WinDVD works well for playing shows locally, but I think Windows Media Player 8.0 works pretty well for streaming (but still crashes if I pause or stop or ff/rev - If I don't mess with it while it's playing, it seems to work great. Once I do ANYTHING, I'm dead!!

On an older win98 machine, I was using elecard and it worked OK for local shows, but no matter what program I use for streaming video, the aspect ratio is all wrong (picture is squished). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
switching to 1.4.0 worked for me ( control panel / add remove programs - remove the 1.41 version )

BTW .. thatd not dhcp .. all my ip#'s ( except the 10. bahind the firewall ) are REAL statics ... thats why the 192 address confused me .... somthing somewhere is giving that address and that bugs me heh

replay mpegs have gop errors when taken directly off the replay unit .. this prevents "searching" in basicly any mpeg player .. womble does have a fix utility for this , but last time i used it i lost audio sync , but removing commercials in womble gives me a searchable mpeg ( weird i know )

m$ has their own way of playing mpegs because like most things they do .. they never seem to like standards , so i would never trust media player to play them.

i dont know about windvd but i do know powerdvd has a "keep aspect" setting in options for going to full screen.

·
Registered
91 Posts
OK. I will delete the newer Java version, but do I need to uninstall ALL of the three listed programs?

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.1_01

Java 2 SDK, SE v1.4.1_01

Java Web Start

Does someone know what I need in install after, just the Java 2 SDL v1.4.0, or do I also need to install the Java Runtime and the Java Web Start.

The whole thing has me a bit confused.

Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
OK. It looks like I have the proper MPEG2 Codec (elecard) and the right streaming video player on my system (XP Pro). I now have Java2 SE v1.4.0 and DVArchive V1.0A. Once the streaming is 100% through (or actually while it is streaming), my system seems to freeze if I pause or try to FF, etc.... Does anyone know where all of this streamed video is residing on my PC? Is it in RAM? or is it on my HD. Right now, I only have 512 MB of RAM. Does anyone suppose that if I increased my RAM to 1 GB that I will avoid system hangs and freeze ups? Most of the video I am playing is 1/2 hour shows or about 450 MB. On this machine, I am currently using Windows Media Player 8.0 and the streaming works pretty well. On my Laptop, with 1 GB of RAM, Media Player seems much more stable. That's why it seems to me like it may be a memory issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated (as always!)

Also, is there a preferred method for switching streaming programs that are in progress (do I stop the video first, or close Media Player, or close DVArchive, etc..) Which should I do first? I am trying to do whatever I can to stop the system problems. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffreymb
OK. It looks like I have the proper MPEG2 Codec (elecard) and the right streaming video player on my system (XP Pro). I now have Java2 SE v1.4.0 and DVArchive V1.0A. Once the streaming is 100% through (or actually while it is streaming), my system seems to freeze if I pause or try to FF, etc.... Does anyone know where all of this streamed video is residing on my PC? Is it in RAM? or is it on my HD. Right now, I only have 512 MB of RAM. Does anyone suppose that if I increased my RAM to 1 GB that I will avoid system hangs and freeze ups? Most of the video I am playing is 1/2 hour shows or about 450 MB. On this machine, I am currently using Windows Media Player 8.0 and the streaming works pretty well. On my Laptop, with 1 GB of RAM, Media Player seems much more stable. That's why it seems to me like it may be a memory issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated (as always!)

Also, is there a preferred method for switching streaming programs that are in progress (do I stop the video first, or close Media Player, or close DVArchive, etc..) Which should I do first? I am trying to do whatever I can to stop the system problems. Thanks again.
Unfortunatly, most, if not all media players do not know how to ask DVA to start somewhere else. As a result, trying to move forward or back is probably not going to work. I don't really know what the player is going to do when it tries though.

Remember that a streamed program is, well, streamed. The data arrives at the media player, is displayed and discarded. In all practical terms, there is no data to navigate through. Like water coming out a faucet and running down the drain - if you don't get it while it's passing through, you can not go back to it later.

A media player that can support it would change positions in the stream by closing the current stream and re-opening it with a Pos=X parameter on the URL giving the relative location into the MPEG to start at. However, I'm not aware of how to configure a MPEG player to do this. This is exactly how an RTV playing a show from DVA is able to skip forward/backward - streams are closed and re-opened at the point needed to resume playback where the user requested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.