AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the icons used for scheduled shows are consistent with what's used by the RTV. But there are some that are not obvious (at least to me). Like smiling octagans. Does a table of DVArchive icons exist somewhere?

Also, has anyone created a user guide (or help file) that explains some of the more obscure features of DVArchive? The DVArchive FAQ's are rather thin on this and the DVArchive "help" menu is no help.

If DVArchive weren't such a useful tool, I'd return it and ask for my $0 back. ;)

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Smiling icon indicates a successful recorded show. If you place your mouse cursor directly over the icon, you should receive a pop-up that defines the icon.

No Users Guide for DVA. Gerry has stated that he enjoys programming, not writing Guides :)

More info on features is available in the Changelog.txt file.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by burger23
Smiling icon indicates a successful recorded show.

More info on features is available in the Changelog.txt file.
Thanks Burger23. The changelog was useful. It explained the pumpkin face as being a show that was already recorded (but not a repeat?).

Here's what shows up on my TV Listings for October 27 at 8PM in the SF Bay area:

http://home.comcast.net/~inventioninferno/DVAicons.gif

So what does the square mean? A discrepency between DVA and the RTV program info? DVA shows 61 minutes record time vs 60 minutes on RTV.

Quote:
No Users Guide for DVA. Gerry has stated that he enjoys programming, not writing Guides :)
I understand Gerry's priorities. My question was whether anyone else may have made an effort to create either a simple guide or FAQ style document for the novice user that covered the (at least non-obvious) features in DVA.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
If you put the mouse cursor directly on the square a pop-up should appear that will tell you what the symbol means (I have forgotten myself).

Please not that I discovered the same smiley face for the same program, CSI:NY. This puzzled me since it is not scheduled to record until NEXT Tuesday, so how could it already have been recorded? Then I realized that (1)I recorded last Tuesday's CSI:NY and it was still on my RTV since I have not watched it yet; and (2) both titles are identical so that DVA has no way no know it is a different show. CSI:NY is the only show I have seen this with--but I am sure there must be others. Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
If you put the mouse cursor directly on the square a pop-up should appear that will tell you what the symbol means (I have forgotten myself).
That's too easy... and an obvious solution. :eek: Thanks!

At the beginning of this season, I recall getting the smiley face for an episode of CSI (LV). I wonder why Gerry picked this icon.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Which icon? The smiley face (because you can be happy the show is already recorded and safely on your ReplayTV) or the square (because there isn't an icon for a theme show in the RTV interface and I figure a square was a geometrically compatible and yet sufficiantly different shape from the circle RTVs use for show based recordings)?

The details on which icon do what are in the CHANGELOG.txt supplied with each DVA install and have been posted on this and the dvarchive.org forums more than once. In short

open/solid circles - show based recordings (just like the RTV)

open/solid squares - theme based recordings

happy face - show matches an RTV channel and is already recorded

exclaimation point - show has conflicts with other shows, but is the winner

"no" symbol (circle with slash) - show matches a RTV channel, but will not record (usually conflicts)

As burger mentioned, most things in DVA have tooltips -- just hang the mouse over them for a second or so for more details about what they are.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
Which icon?

The details on which icon do what are in the CHANGELOG.txt supplied with each DVA install
Gerry, thanks for the icon details...and your extremely useful program.

To reduce future requests from people like me, perhaps you could make the CHANGELOG file a selection option in the HELP drop-down.

To me, the name "changelog.txt" shortchanges the depth of useful information it contains. I didn't think to look there (or use tooltips :eek: ) for this sort of info.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:
To reduce future requests from people like me, perhaps you could make the CHANGELOG file a selection option in the HELP drop-down.
I applaud a great idea when I see one. I'm always amazed at how simple the best answer can be!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.