AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have followed the install instructions for DVArchive in WinXP but it does not truly install: the instructions say double click on DVArcive.jar, I do that and all I get is a WinRAR window for decompressing the file into the individual files I need to run the program. I do that but it does not install/it does not run the install program as described in the readme.txt file. I have Java 1.4.0 (Java Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.0_03 - according to Add/Remove Programs) so I do not think not having it is my problem.

I need help. :)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
The problem is that you have installed WinRAR since the time you installed Java and allowed WinRAR to associate itself with *.jar (Java Archive) files. You can try going to the Options | Settings menu in WinRAR, selecting the Integration tab, unchecking the box next to "JAR" in the "Associate WinRAR with" area, and hitting "OK." This may or may not restore the association of .jar files with "javaw.exe." If it doesn't, you can either run DVArchive from the command line with "javaw DVArchive.jar" (I think DVA comes with a .bat file to do this too), or you can uninstall and reinstall Java to restore the .jar file association. I would recommend the latter as you probably should upgrade to the latest version of Java anyway, which is 1.4.2_02. Some older versions had problems running DVA. You can download the newest version here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html .

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Actually, right now, I'm recommending folks stick with Java 1.4.1. It's very stable and there were some changes in 1.4.2 in the threading model that apparently has caused DVA to hang up some time for some people. I'm still investigating it. Granted, for a number of people, 1.4.2 works fine - it's all about which features you use (Importing, in particular, seems affected).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.