AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm somewhat stumped here after looking through the DVArchive FAQ and other places as to how to move my DVarchive files to another PC...

Here's the situation.... I had a drive fail and another on the way out on my main machine so I built a little terrabyte plus server for the garage. Currently however I have about 400 gigs of mpeg2s in DVArchive spread across 4 or so disks on my main machine that I just want to copy over to the new server.

- Simply copying the files via the file system doesn't work

- Doing an import via DVArchive doesn't appear to be the right thing since it asks for name and episodes etc.

I guess I could copy them from one install of DVarchive to the other using the move command in DVArchive itself but....

There must be an easier way via the file system to handle this, no?

·
Registered
14 Posts
IIRC from some earlier threads, you'll want to copy the file called DVArchive.xml from the old machine to the new one. Do a search on the forum for that filename and hopefully that will get you pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just did something very similar, moved about a terabyte just using the Dvarchive "move" command to move from an instance of Dvarchive on machine #1 to a different instance of Dvarchive on machine #2. This, of course, presumes that the drive on your main system is healthy enough. I found it to be slower than direct file transfers, but the avoided hassles of xml editing made it a snap.

One more caution; the reason I moved all this stuff around was that I had 1.2 terabytes on one machine running DVA. Every time I would navigate to the DVA guide from one of my Replays, it would slow to a crawl while it digested the index for 750 shows. It could take it up to 15 seconds to respond to the next keypress. I put half the shows on a different computer and now can navigate quickly.

Other people have used multiple instances of DVA on one machine for other types of segregation, so there may be a better way that what I did.

Have fun..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah... move seems to be a better solution than the steps required via the XML file (yucko!)...

Now as to running multipe DVA clients on the same machine, how's that possible?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... move is seems to be a better solution than the steps required via the XML file (yucko!)...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by YBDBDOO

I found it to be slower than direct file transfers, but the avoided hassles of xml editing made it a snap.

I would imagine DVA should be able to move shows around at near wire speed. It uses a chunked HTTP format with really no overhead (beyond normal TCP/IP overhead). I typically get 9.6MB.sec xfer rates on my 100Mbit network between DVA (with a theoretical max of about 10Mbytes/sec). DVAs protocols should be much more efficient than any "shared disk/drive" protocol (SMB/CIFS/NFS) and comparable to slightly faster than FTP.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by evanmf
Most O/Ss allow you to bind multiple IP addresses to a single network card. Each ReplayTV (or look-a-like) must have it's own IP address. You can tell DVA which IP address to bind to (File->DVArchive Properties, Server tab) and that DVA should use a different DVArchive.xml file(using the --store startup option) than default. This allows two (or more) DVAs to run on the same machine, each using a different network IP address, different DVArchive.xml and DVArchive.

If your O/S does not support binding multiple IP addresses to one card, you can just add another card. But as far as I know, Windows NT/2000/XP allow this, Linux allows this and *I think* Mac OSX allows this. I think Windows 95/98/Me don't, but could be wrong.

NOTE: If you do run more than one DVA on a single computer, please make sure they DO NOT share storage paths for your downloaded shows. If they do, you risk corruption. They should have unique, non-overlapping storage.

Finally, be aware that ReplayTV 4xxx series units do not seem to handle having more than about 3 ReplayTVs on the network at the same time reliably. Sometimes it works and sometimes not and when it's "not", the results run from some RTV/DVAs not being accessible to destabilizing the RTV O/S and causing crashes. 5xxx series seem much better about this.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
I would imagine DVA should be able to move shows around at near wire speed. It uses a chunked HTTP format with really no overhead (beyond normal TCP/IP overhead). I typically get 9.6MB.sec xfer rates on my 100Mbit network between DVA (with a theoretical max of about 10Mbytes/sec). DVAs protocols should be much more efficient than any "shared disk/drive" protocol (SMB/CIFS/NFS) and comparable to slightly faster than FTP.
I tried my laptop on the same switch, was able to get 9mb +or-, so I conclude there is something about this particular computer that is choking off the throughput. I am using external firewire drives on each, so I also wonder if there if a bandwidth problem. I get about 6mb on this leg of the network. It all happens in the middle of the night, so I only notice it when I am doing some large reconfiguration that happens infrequently.

I should also note that the higher speeds I was referring to were within the computer file moves, not through dva.

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.