AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 5040 directly connected to my Powerbook G4 with a cross-over cable. I have been able to connect to the replay before and download some stuff, but lately I havent been able to get DVArchive to find the replay. Any solutions? I have tried rebooting the replay but it didnt do anything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats what im trying to establish. I am a novice replaytv owner and im not sure what conditions the replay needs to make a connection. The first time, & i dont remember the sequence, I turned internet sharing on in OSX so that it would bridge the eathernet with the airport. I connected the replay to the powerbook with a crossover cable with a successful link light. I opened up DVarchive & everything worked great, I also went in and set the connection to lan so I could get updates through the laptop. Well then I wanted my laptop 'uncorded' so i switched back to modem and disconnected the lan. ever since i havent been able to get internet updating to work, and now just recently I cant get it to connect in DVarchive. Is there a sequence im missing? does it HAVE TO be set to lan connection to use DVarchive?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by docwisdom
Well thats what im trying to establish. I am a novice replaytv owner and im not sure what conditions the replay needs to make a connection. The first time, & i dont remember the sequence, I turned internet sharing on in OSX so that it would bridge the eathernet with the airport. I connected the replay to the powerbook with a crossover cable with a successful link light. I opened up DVarchive & everything worked great, I also went in and set the connection to lan so I could get updates through the laptop. Well then I wanted my laptop 'uncorded' so i switched back to modem and disconnected the lan. ever since i havent been able to get internet updating to work, and now just recently I cant get it to connect in DVarchive. Is there a sequence im missing? does it HAVE TO be set to lan connection to use DVarchive?

thanks in advance
They key is likely the address for the RTV. By default, the RTV is designed to fetch a new address from a DHCP server when it starts up. Frequently, this server is part of your router/firewall.

If you direct connect your PC and RTV together, there is no DHCP server to give the RTV an address. If it had one, that will eventually expire (DHCP assigned addresses need to be renewed periodically).

For the purposes of a direct connection, go into the RTV setup and put a fixed (static) IP address. Just remember to put the RTV back to DHCP when you are ready to put it back on your LAN.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Or.. you could set up sharing on the Mac, use a cross over cable and power cycle the Replay so that it gets the IP address the Mac is giving out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I gave the power cycling a shot, as i posted in my first thread, but it didnt make a difference. The last time i tried a static ip, it sat there saying it was connecting to network & i had to force reboot it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Addendum to my last post.

So I take it that since both of the last replies mentioned Ip configuration that I have to have the Replay set up for a Lan connection instead of modem to use DVarchive?

thanks for the replies so far

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.