AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is HDMI, Component, or DVI the best for connecting a DVD with HD-upconversion to an LCD HDTV?

Specifically, if it matters, I have a PT-50LCX63 (50" Panny LCD with built in ATSC tuner).

I have been reading lots about the Zenith DVB318 and how great it is that it has the upconversion over Component for macrovision DVDs. I haven't been able to find in my readings whether that means it cannot upconvert over DVI, but that would be strange if it couldn't. So is DVI inferior to Component for PQ?

I'm now reading about the LG DVB418 that has an HDMI connection instead of DVI. The guess is that the LG won't be able to do the upconversion of macrovision encoded DVDs over Component. I have to assume it is designed to do so over HDMI though, right?

If my TV has Component and HDMI inputs, would my better choice be the Zenith DVB318 upconverting over Component or the LG DVB418 upconverting over HDMI?

I don't care about the digital media card inputs on the DVB418. My tv already has them and I've never found any reason to use them.

The price difference between the two is negligible in my case and I'd prefer to buy the DVB418 if it doesn't matter (local store versus net order).

(No, the local store doesn't have the DVB418 in yet.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, I'd wait to read the reviews on the 418 when it comes out to make sure you're not going to get macroblocking or some other problem over the HDMI. Theoretically, though, HDMI should give you a better picture, since it supports transmission of the uncompressed digital signal. With a component connection, the player has to do some conversion of the signal, send it across the wires, and the TV has to convert it back... or something like that.

To make Hollywood happy, upconversion will now only be done through DVI or HDMI, both of which take utilize HDCP for copy protection purposes. Your TV has to be HDCP compatable also, to recieve the signal.

HDMI is supposed to be better than DVI... it supports 3 different modes of transmission (to DVI's 1) and also supports audio transmission.

Oh, and I don't believe that you can get a new DVB-318 that upconverts over component anymore - they changed the firmware. I'm not sure what date that new firmware took effect.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
Lurch,

The major advantage of the 318 was the ability to upconvert over component, an important feature for those who have an HDTV without a spare DVI/HDMI input. As jeeper correctly states, that feature will no longer be available. The 318 also upconverts over DVI. DVI and HDMI should give equally good PQ, and both are better than component. Theoretically, it shouldn't matter whether you have a DVI or an HDMI player connected to your HDMI input. However, some (but not all) players introduce black crush with a DVI/HDMI or HDMI/DVI cable or converter, so it may be safer to go with an HDMI player in your case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.