AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DVD-2900 pixeling and freezing with video material after running multiple discs.

My 2900 began pixeling and froze during chapter 5 of Mr. Bean disc 3

a week ago ...it played fine in my RP-62. I put it back in the 2900 and it played fine.

Yesterday I was playing Fleetwood Mac's the Dance and it did the same thing around chapter 5 of this disc. It had been of for at least 24 hours and I had played all sorts of material thru it.

I rebooted the 2900 and I could not get the problem to occur again.

Does this sound normal for the 2900/SIL504 or is it time to send my 2900 in already. Its only 50 days old or so.

thanks

· Registered
271 Posts
Maybe Rowan Atkinson's mugging or Stevie Nicks' twirling threw the spindle off balance? :D

· Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
I have a 5900 and I never turn off my equipment (except the monitor) and it has been on for well over a month now with no issues at all
I usually run my gear that way as well..ive probably had my 2900 on for a week at a time without rebooting it. I hate to send it in so quickly though. Its so intermittent that I am sure they wont fix it.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
When you say you leave you DVD player "on" what do you mean - full on but stopped, or in standby mode?

· Registered
2,286 Posts
James,

"Full on..., movie or disc looping root menu or a CD playing."

Wow! Doesn't this consume a lot of watts day after day? Is there some danger of a fire if a circuit should fail in an unusual way in the equipment?

I'm curious - why not use standby for the equipment that offers it?

· Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I think I am going to start with blowing some compressed air into the disc tray opening, the way it is so intermittent and unpredictable maybe there is a hair or something inside that is getting in the way.

· Registered
6,213 Posts
My 2900 started locking up last summer when the room temperature started rising. It would hang partially through the second of two sequential movies. I solved the problem by removing the cover to allowing the heat to escape. The problem is definitely due to internal heating, which is exacerbated by a warm environment. (Heat from the room, heat from equipment located below the player, ...)

· Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As I found out my problem is not heat. I have been looping the worst case Mr. Bean disc for about 10 hours now and its still playing fine.

I bet I had a hair or something that was intermittently getting in the way.

I cannot think of any other logical reason for the problem.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.