AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused about DVD connections to the A/V receiver. My Panny S55 has 5.1 audio out and has both a DTS and Dolby digital decoder. My receiver has 5.1 capability and digital connections. If I use the 5.1 do I also use the digital? What is the difference and which is the prefered method?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dolby Digital (DD) and DTS are 5.1 digital connections. DD and DTS are competing digital audio standards. So to answer your question, yes if you are using 5.1 then you are probably using a digital connection. The difference between DD and DTS are more subtle than if you go from Dolby Prologic -> Digital audio. DD is the more prevalent/standard form of digital audio available. However, many DVDs are now encoded in the DTS standard. Many Videophiles prefer DTS sound, and believe that it is superior to Dolby Digital. Very few DVDs are now available with both DTS and DD audio. Hope this helps...and if I'm wrong on any of this...someone please correct me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rickscott
I am confused about DVD connections to the A/V receiver. My Panny S55 has 5.1 audio out and has both a DTS and Dolby digital decoder. My receiver has 5.1 capability and digital connections. If I use the 5.1 do I also use the digital? What is the difference and which is the prefered method?
Use the digital. You're basically choosing whether to use the DTS/Dolby Digital decoders in the receiver or the dvd player. The receiver processing is usually better than the dvd player. By using the digital inputs/outputs, you'll be using the receiver's decoders.

DB:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at several of my DVDs and they all said "Dolby Digital". I assume then that I would use DD and not DTS. Do I have a choice? Also if I go digital should I use a coax or toslink for the connection?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Use Toslink if possible. DTS audio on DVDs seems to be getting more rare. I couldn't believe the T2 Special Edition was DD only. As mentioned previously the differences between them are subtle. DTS appears to send more volume to the surrounds at appropriate times, making it my preference. I really get excited when I see that choice in the DVD menu.

Don't forget to change the audio on your DVD player from PCM to digital. If you do not, many times you will be listening to Pro Logic instead of DD, which is horrible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The DVD player needs to be connected using the 5.1 analog connections if you want to make use of the DVD-Audio 5.1 playback, if not just use the digital output only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.