AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this may have been discussed already (i didn't bother with a search yet) but, I just bought this DVD from Best Buy. I now realize that this movie is in Standard 4:3 Format BLAHHH no Widescreen version available.

Does anyone know about any plans of re-releasing this movie as a Widescreen DVD??? I only paid $12 for the DVD and plan on keeping it because I really like this movie and think its a modern classic or whatever you want to call it.

The responses from the "help" at BestBuy were quite laughable. I asked concerning a Widescreen version and they help told me "oh, well, you know, that movie is so old, they didn't make movies in Widescreen format back then." I told them "It was filmed in 1983. Have you *SEEN* Star Wars?" Idiot. ANY-WAY.

Just ranting and hoping for some info.

ciao

-sonic

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've seen it on TCM in widescreen. The fullscreen version is basically open matte. The matted widescreen version looks very good and much more natural looking. I'd probably take that DVD back and wait for it to come on TCM again. Then you can just tape it until a widescreen version of that movie is available on DVD. I guess one thing you can do with the fullscreen DVD is cover up the top and bottom of your TV. :D

BTW, before you purchase ANY DVD, ALWAYS check the back to see if it says widescreen or fullscreen. I check it about 10 times before I buy a DVD. According to DVD Profiler, there's a 1.66:1 version of A Christmas Story on DVD. The one on TCM was in 1.85:1. I really liked how well the 1.85:1 looked. It looked much more natural without all that empty unnessesary space at the top and bottom. Whether it's Anamorphic Scope, 3 Panel Cinerama, Super 35, hard matte, or soft matte, the widescreen version will ALWAYS look better.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hmm, I've only seen it on TV in fullscreen, but don't remember it looking like it was supposed to be widescreen. I assumed this was filmed with TV in mind - does anyone know if it was in theaters and what it's OAR was?

I've made a point of getting widescreen DVDs, but I'll probably get this DVD regardless since it's so entertaining. I would doubt the demand is there for them to release another version.:(

·
Registered
177 Posts
From imdb.com:

Aspect ratio

1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)

1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)

So, the full screen version WILL be open matted. I would love to have if widescreen but for now, an until people stop buying the FS, I'll live.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
According to the Digital Bits web site a new release of A Christmas Story may be in the works, but might not be available for a year or more.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I could tolerate the open matted format - if only this DVD were a good transfer. However, it's blurry with smeared colors and poor contrast, not to mention mono sound. I've seen this movie with better video from live TV broadcasts from film distribution prints on cable TV. I suspect the DVD was not produced from a clean interpositive, but from the same master tape used for the Laserdisc version. It badly needs a new transfer from original negative or interpositive, with appropriate restorative steps.

Not to mention, I'd like to see the deleted "Ming the Merciless/Flash Gordon" deleted scene, and have the censored soundtrack restored.

Gary

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
This is a good question. If we assume that IMDB is right, can we be sure that the full screen version is really a matted full screen and not a pan&scan of the widescreen transfer? The box clearly states that it is "formatted to fit your screen" and nothing about a matted ratio (like Kubrick's films.) Matted or not, I want what Bob Clark intended! And a commentary track would be nice.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by srgilbert
This is a good question. If we assume that IMDB is right, can we be sure that the full screen version is really a matted full screen and not a pan&scan of the widescreen transfer? The box clearly states that it is "formatted to fit your screen" and nothing about a matted ratio (like Kubrick's films.) Matted or not, I want what Bob Clark intended! And a commentary track would be nice.
One look at the DVD tells you that it is in fact pan & scan.

No headroom in the shots! An opened matte would have headroom.

Also note the unnatural camera movements throughout the DVD.

Clearly this is not the panning or tracking of a camera.

FYI, the 1.66:1 version mentioned by Ken is a laserdisc, not DVD.

Most likely this is also what was shown on TCM and not a 1.85:1 print.

If such a video print existed, it would have most likely surfaced by now.

(I could be wrong about this but it stands to logic)

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
It's playing in widescreen format on TCM this Saturday the 14th at 1PM Pacific time if you want to record it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad
It (played) in widescreen format on TCM this Saturday the 14th at 1PM Pacific time if you want to record it.
So, did anyone check this out?

Was it 1.66:1 or 1.85:1?

Any Info appreciated

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I recorded it and it is definitely 1.85:1 widescreen.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It was just on again today on TCM. I TOO recorded it on VHS. That'll have to do for now until I see it in THAT format on DVD. One channel is gonna be showing it 24 hours on Christmas, but with a ton of commercials and will probably CENSOR out the part after Ralphie decodes that code in the bathroom and he says the SOB word. Man, the way he says that gets me laughing. That whole movie is pretty funny. Some people consider that movie pretty dumb, but hey, I think it's hilarious. I'm glad I caught it on TCM without any commercial interruptions and no censoring. Thanks TCM :tu

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
If you have a widescreen set with zoom mode, or I suppose some scalars or HTPCs with a similar capability, you could effectively turn an open matte DVD into a 16:9 presentation, very close to the original in this case.

Just a thought.

M

·
Registered
359 Posts
Watched some of the TCM broadcast last night and put the full screen DVD version on, in sync, with the broadcast.

Using the twin-view feature of my Grand Wega, I had both running side by side to compare.

Here is what I discovered.

A.- The widescreen version was a cropped or matted version of the full screen version on the DVD.

B.- The widescreen version was only cropped or matted at the bottom. The tops of the frames were identical.
(Zooming the fullscreen version does not equal the widescreen version unless you can also adjust the vertical center!!!)

C.- It looks like there were no composition errors in the fullscreen version. (At least the parts I watched!)

D.- The widescreen version looked 1.66:1 to me, but I didn't double check.

Questions still remaining.

1.- I was the "Ming the Merciless" scene in this broadcast?

2.- Did Ralphie get censored?

3.- How in the world did Darren McGavin get Kate Capshaw??? :confused:

·
Registered
737 Posts
The widescreen looks more like 1.77:1 to me. I can sort of see a difference between that and 1.85:1 because I rented Shrek one time and the black bars weren't as big as 1.85:1 movies are. But hey. It's closer to the OAR and it looked pretty good. So, I'm happy now that I have it on a High Grade VHS tape recorded at SP speed. :D

·
Registered
737 Posts
You're pretty much better off with recording it off TCM to VHS, SVHS, TIVO, or whatever instead of getting the DVD. The DVD is only in mono and I heard stereo audio on the one on TCM. So, I removed the DVD, which was a 1.66:1 version, off my DVD profiler wish list. I'll keep the VHS one I recorded off TCM for now until we see a proper DVD transfer.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have it recorded on my Dish PVR 501 & the PQ is pretty decent. Now if only someone I know would buy a DVD recorder.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by ThomC

... How in the world did Darren McGavin get Kate Capshaw???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Michigan NSX
He didn't - he got Melinda Dillon. :)
Uhhh, yeah, that's what I meant.... :eek:

(Don't you know you''re supposed to know what I mean and not take anything I write literally!!!)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.