AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up the DVD-A DualDisk of Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (release Aug 16th). I don't have the specs yet but it does contain both DVD-A hi-res and Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks on the DVD side. The CD side lists as 24 bit high-res remastering, if that means anything, so it sounds like it was remastered for the CD side. The DVD sise has the same info as the SACD for mastering and production.

It comes in the standard CD case, with an artwork slipcover with the same exact artwork as the front and back of the cd case. Fry's store price $14.99.

vegggas

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
...and the sound?

What are your subjective impressions?

·
Registered
415 Posts
If it is anything like the import SACD I picked up a couple of weeks ago it will simply outstanding. Easily one of the best multi-channel recordings I have listened to.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Definately. As long as they didn't tamper with anything should be an excellent disc. My SACD has seen lots of rotation

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW! AWESOME!

If anyone has reservations about DualDisk, get over it and pick up this title immediately. It sounds great!

Attached are some pics of a few menus. The intro menu selections with your choice of audio selections (3298).

The actual audio selections available (3300) with 5.1 MLP 96kHz/24bit, Stereo 48kHz/24bit PCM, and a 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital track.

Song list (3301) and artwork for all songs, with lyrics, detailed credits and an appreciation discussion about the album by Robert Sandell.

Highly reccomend - Run out and get this title. I would like feedback between the two formats, but each player seems to be biased torward one or the other with the same selstions across the board (no flames - opinion).

vegggas

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Phogg
Now, if they would only release "Making Movies", my fav DS album, in multi-channel SACD or DVD-A I would be in heaven.
What he said!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I saw this disc in my local shop on Tuesday. I was tempted, but I already have the SACD.

What I thought was interesting was that neither the word "DualDisc" nor the Dualdisc logo appear anywhere on the case, at least on the outside.

Is Warner thumbing their nose at the RIAA with this release?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are right, there is no mention of DualDisk anywhere that I can find. The disk has a DVD side and CD side with the familiar blue and pink labeling on each side telling you wether it's DVD or CD when up. The actual logos that appear are "WB Records", "DVD AUDIO" ("with DVD side only" written below) "ADVANCED RESOLUTION" and "DOLBY DIGITAL". And of course the anti-piracy warning logo...

Interestingly enough, the description reads "2-SIDED DISK: CD & Surround Sound DVD - This disk plays 3 ways: Advanced Resolution Surround, Dolby Digital Surround, Standard Resolution CD.

CD Side: Audio

DVD Side: Entire album in superior sound

It also has WB Records printed everywhere on the packaging, but the disk label only has "2005 Mercury Records LTD.

If you have a universal player and already have the import SACD, would you consider getting the DVD-A version for comparison? Looks like the average street price is under $15, and with the added graphics, lyrics, etc, and standard CD compatibility, it looks like it would be better overall. If the sound compares to the SACD, as I imagine it does, this version would be a great bargain for half the price and double the features.

vegggas

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Picked up the import SACD when it came out.

IMO excellent SQ. Some did not like the mix but I don't have any issues with it.

Picked up the DD today and will listen to it when I get home.

I highly doubt the mix is different but it be interesting to A/B with the SACD.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking forward to your comparison. Let us know if the added graphics and menus add or distract from the experience. I personally like it...

vegggas

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
My first dual disc...maybe my last.

Outstanding sonics across the board, as one would expect from this particular recording, but the CD side will not play on two of my four players. That was to be expected, I suppose.

If you are keeping score, in my experience, the CD will play on a Rotel 1072 and a Pio 45a. It will not play on a Pio 509 (a CD recorder) and a Denon 3910.

YMMV.

Brian

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
Just picked it up today from BB.I guess I'm one of those who don't like the MC mix, at least the 2 firts tracks[I don't own the SACD version] I've listened so far in MC.The sonics are great however, and I found the 2ch DVD-A a cler step up from the CD layer. I Used the Denon 2900 for all playbacks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just purchased the Dual Disc yesterday, and the cd side will not play in my 2006 Toyota, with the JBL sound system. The dvd-a side sounds great in my DV45A, but I think it is a disgrace for the record companies to put out something like this, where the cd side doesn't play in all players. It is my second disc of this type, and I won't be buying any more of them.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
never ever ever, did I say never already...? Try to play dualies in a slot loader, which I assume is in your car since I havent seen a non-slot loading cd player in a car in years, if I ever did...ALWAYS make a copy of the cd audio side on your pc for the car....more than anything just due to the variances in thickness. If its a title you really want, no harm in buying it, just spend 5 minutes and a nickel's worth of media and burn a copy for the car instead. Its really not that big of a deal. But I would recoemmend you letting the releasing label know how you feel about these crappy DD's....maybe enough of us will get through and they will wise up....

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately, NONE of my SACD ONLY titles play in anything BUT my Universal player (Non-Hybrid). At least the DualDisk plays in most CD players, and all DVD players as well as the highres players. So far, the CD side (multiple disks) has worked in my JVC DVD-A multichanger, Samsung 841 Universal player, Jeep and PT Cruiser factory CD units and changers, Sony S3000 DVD player, and Sony 5 disk CD changer. Not a single problem out of a dozen disks.

YMMV.

What's important is the High-Res side. Does it sound as good or beeter than the SACD version? Is it cheaper than the SACD? Does it offer more visual content than the SACD? Does it give you an opportunity to listen to the music on other players and formats where the SACD does not? Can your neighbor borrow it and play it on their DD5.1 system for a similar experience?

All this makes for a great compromise, IMHO.

vegggas

·
Registered
15,497 Posts
If you import the hybrid SACD/CD from Hong Kong or from Canada it's as cheap or cheaper than the dual disc and you won't have any problems associated with the lame-o dualdisc format. I've already burned the CD layer so I could have a cheap backup for the car.

The SACD sonics are wonderful for an upsampling and restoration effort of 1980's 16 bit PCM masters and the mix is very aggressive, in a tasteful way, and really opens up the soundstage. I think they mixed and edited this on a newer Sonoma DSD station if my info. is correct.

Dan

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a hard time finding this title for under $25 in SACD format, where it's $12 -$15 on DualDisk. It's also, listed as SACD only, so it can't be played anywhere else, except a SACD player. For me, that has many more incompatibilities than a slightly thicker disk that may not play in a few remote players.

Did you burn the DualDisk CD layer, or was there someway of getting the SACD to play elsewhere? I've got a few SACD's that are almost useless because they are not compatible with anything other than a certified SACD player located im my Home theater room. Hence I can't hear them anywhere else in the house, car, traveling, etc.

I'm still looking for direct comparisons between the two formats audio quality to see if anyone notices any differences. The same mix was used for both formats, so they should be equal, except for variations in hardware.

vegggas

·
Registered
15,497 Posts
Try CD-Wow.com or Amazon.ca for the SACD (a while ago I got the SACD from CD Wow for $16 and free shipping) and yes, the SACD is a hybrid with a CD layer and the CD layer is burnable to make a backup.

Dan

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.