AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i've been plagued by a question on my head, and hopefully i did enough searching through here adn htf to justify posting a new thread but...

i understand that bass managment for analog inputs is supposed to be necessary for anyone with a sub/sat setup wanting to listen to dvd-a/sacd with analog inputs using the DAC from their player

but why?

when i connect an analog source to my cheap but trusty and good enough for me TEAC AV-8900 that cost me next to nothing the receiver outputs the music to the sats/subusing its own crossover like any other source as i'm sure all recievers do

wouldn't that be all that's needed for the analog inputs for any 7.1/6.1/5.1 source?

·
Registered
81 Posts
this is only 1/3 of the "picture".

another important thing is ability to redirect low bass to the sub. honestly, i don't know whether sub+sat packages knwo to do that.

but the most importnat thing is speaker distances alingment.

if you're sitting "in the middle" - you're lucky and don't need it.

but if you're sitting next to the rear wall - the whole sound timing is collapsing and it's like to liststen in stereo with one speaker close to you and another one at 9 feet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guessing from your replies so far... bass management adjusts all the analog inputs digitally? i guessed that it was just acting like a crossover for the analog inputs

sorry its past 5 am and its probably me missing something totally obvious

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
THe new audio formats are designed to be played on a 7.1 system with 7 full range speakers. Most people do not have 7 full range identical speakers due to room design etc. So you need full bass management in order to account for this.

Most cheap amps have terrible bass management - throwing away bass instead of redirecting it correctly (especially rear speakers) - add on top of this that you need the bass management on analogue inputs for the new audio formats and your list of "good" recievers gets very very short.

- Rick

·
Registered
707 Posts
Bass manangement is a term that grows out of the fact that virtually all 5.1 channel systems are bi-amplified with a powered subwoofer. Some or all of the speakers are set as high-pass (small) playing sounds only above 80 Hz (or whatever crossover point is selected). The subwoofer plays the bass below 80 Hz from from those channels.

This requires an electronic crossover for all five channels. All Dolby Digital receivers have a very sophisticated 5-channel digital crossover that his the heart of system configuration and bass management.

There is no 5-channel crossover for the multi-channel analog inputs. They go straight through to the volume control. Whatever comes into the outputs goes out to the speakers with little or nothing in between.

Thus, if you have configured a system according to THX's approach -- five speakers designed to play only from 80 Hz on up and all bass redirected to the powered subwoofer, you are screwed when you use the multichannel analog inputs. Since this is the most cost-effective approach to good surround sound, this creates a serious problem. It's a problem for just about every system since very few center channel or surround speakers will really play below 80 Hz.

Two-channel analog inputs are accomodated by converting the incoming signal into digital and passing it through the digital processing and digital crossovers. However, this is not the case for the analog inputs.

It is further complicated by the fact that there is no standard usage for the LFE channel DVD-A recordings as there is for Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 channel recordings.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahh i see....i think i get it now..

much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.